Histrionic Personality Disorder!?!?!

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 11:57 am

I don't understand this condition but now I wonder anyone who dresses up in weird clothes or dress up like a hooker showing off their body, does that mean they have this disorder and they are doing it for attention?

I know as a kid I did things for attention but did that mean I had this disorder and then I grew out of it when I quit caring about not being paid attention to and when I decided I would rather not have attention and just be invisible? Can kids have it too?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

The DSM-5 says age of onset is early adulthood.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:25 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
The DSM-5 says age of onset is early adulthood.

Okay so I don't have it then because I was too young.

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2015, 5:57 pm

Update: I am glad to say that it has been exactly one week of no contact on her part. She blocked me on Facebook.

I was reading how to get rid of someone with HPD and the resounding trend has been "shoot their egos to pieces as they are very fragile". I did indeed do that and it seems to have worked for now.

I understand that this is a horrible thing to do especially to an emotionally fragile girl - but at the same time I live a vibrant productive life and I cannot be putting up with... well I guess read the sample message I posted.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 3:21 am

League_Girl wrote:
I don't understand this condition but now I wonder anyone who dresses up in weird clothes or dress up like a hooker showing off their body, does that mean they have this disorder and they are doing it for attention?

I know as a kid I did things for attention but did that mean I had this disorder and then I grew out of it when I quit caring about not being paid attention to and when I decided I would rather not have attention and just be invisible? Can kids have it too?

I enjoy wearing colorful and weird clothes because I like the way they look and make me feel. Nothing to do with attention seeking for me.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 9:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:

There are different levels of attention seeking. HPD is an extreme form of this, which involves way more than just wearing "sexy" clothes.

Here are some of the more common symptoms:

•Be uncomfortable unless he or she is the center of attention
•Dress provocatively and/or exhibit inappropriately seductive or flirtatious behavior
•Shift emotions rapidly
•Act very dramatically, as though performing before an audience, with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity
•Be overly concerned with physical appearance
•Constantly seek reassurance or approval
•Be gullible and easily influenced by others
•Be excessively sensitive to criticism or disapproval
•Have a low tolerance for frustration and be easily bored by routine, often beginning projects without finishing them or skipping from one event to another
•Not think before acting
•Make rash decisions
•Be self-centered and rarely show concern for others
•Have difficulty maintaining relationships, often seeming fake or shallow in their dealings with others
•Threaten or attempt suicide to get attention

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2015, 10:47 pm

She fit every one of these symptoms... even the suicide one. I gave an example message that I got from her in my original post demonstrating some of those symptoms. It's not the only "novel" I received from her. The biggest symptom in my case was the constant need for reassurance. Every 5 days she would change her Facebook profile picture and then of course fish for compliments.

Example:

"You look so great in this picture!"

"Thanks, it's all in the sun plus my s**t ass phone"

"You still look great!"

Goodness I dislike the human condition...

vanille
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2015, 11:32 pm

DW wrote:
I implore everyone with AS to learn the signs of HPD! These girls are absolute poison for anyone with AS and they will not let go no matter what. But remember, they only want your attention and validation... and if they see you have a good job or are doing well they will really sink their hooks in because YOUR ATTENTION matters to them, but nothing more.

I would be interested in hearing other stories of AS/HPD dates.

I am a person with Borderline personality disorder (BPD) and I do have some histrionic tendencies, but I am still a person. I love my (Aspie) boyfriend and I try to act with as much respect and empathy as I can. I think it is unfair to say that people with X label are ''poison for anyone with AS'' because people are much more than their labels.

You were hurt by her actions and yes, her behavior could come from her personnality disorder. I am sorry that you went through this. Again, just like for AS, explanation of behavior does not equal justification of said behavior. We are all responsible for the consequences of our actions.

However, it is important that you back off from someone when you see so many red flags.

jdn74
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2015, 2:59 pm

My soon to be ex wife has Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), which is another cluster B personality disorder. You'll find that a lot of us Aspies who have empathy become targets of narcissists and their abuse. After 7 years of putting up with abuse, I'm DONE! After a lot of self-discovery and retrospection, I've always attracted women like this. I didn't have any self-respect, but I didn't know that I didn't have any. If you have boundaries, they'll cross them... its what they do. The thing is, some narcissists are a lot more covert rather than overt and you'll never see it coming. Yeah, you may have "red flags" but once you've been "love bombed" by a narc, you'll gloss over those red flags. They are GREAT at leading you to believe that you're the love of their life, which is what most of us want. But to them, love is a transaction and always comes with strings attached. If you value your sanity (or at least how ever much of it you have), AVOID these people! DW, NO CONTACT was absolutely the right move! Unfortunately if you have kids with them you can't completely do that. In that case MINIMAL CONTACT is the best answer by keeping any and all communication about the child only and thats it. Sorry you went through this... I feel your pain!

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm

Vanille - you are right. I learned my lesson and I back off a lot quicker now as soon as the red flags start popping up. Lack of experience dealing with anyone on the PD spectrum is what killed me here.

I have a question. Since you have BPD with HPD tendencies, would you mind explaining why these people seem to pour their hearts out to others, knowing full well that we can't do anything for them? See the example reply I posted - all I asked her was why she got so emotional over trivial things. I am thinking that the fact that people know about their problems gives them some sense of satisfaction or peace?

jdn74 - Likewise I am sorry that you had to go through this for 7 years... I only went through this for 4 months. "Love-bombed" - I like that - because that is pretty much what happened. Within 4 days of meeting me she was talking about how she has been dreaming at night that she was talking to me, among other overly heavy compliments. I knew something was not right but I was still drawn in.

No contact did not work for me. It just made her worse. The trick that seems to have worked getting her off (at least for now) was to predictably shoot her ego to pieces. 1. I would take exactly 4 days to reply to any text she sent me (they hate routine and predictability). 2. I took 4 days to reply because that way she would slowly get bored waiting for me. 3. In my replies I would be quite harsh, telling her that I have better things to do with my life than to waste my time talking to her, for example. I'm not happy treating girls this way but HPDs have fragile egos and it's one way to get rid of them (this goes both ways however as the s**t treatment did draw her in even more for a while).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 8:26 pm

jdn74 wrote:
My soon to be ex wife has Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), which is another cluster B personality disorder. You'll find that a lot of us Aspies who have empathy become targets of narcissists and their abuse. After 7 years of putting up with abuse, I'm DONE! After a lot of self-discovery and retrospection, I've always attracted women like this. I didn't have any self-respect, but I didn't know that I didn't have any. If you have boundaries, they'll cross them... its what they do. The thing is, some narcissists are a lot more covert rather than overt and you'll never see it coming. Yeah, you may have "red flags" but once you've been "love bombed" by a narc, you'll gloss over those red flags. They are GREAT at leading you to believe that you're the love of their life, which is what most of us want. But to them, love is a transaction and always comes with strings attached. If you value your sanity (or at least how ever much of it you have), AVOID these people! DW, NO CONTACT was absolutely the right move! Unfortunately if you have kids with them you can't completely do that. In that case MINIMAL CONTACT is the best answer by keeping any and all communication about the child only and thats it. Sorry you went through this... I feel your pain!

I keep wondering if my ex was a narc. But a label doesn't really matter, only the behavior. He was a convert I would say and his abuse was so subtle I didn't even notice. I can see how people can be in abusive relationships and stay in them. I can also understand why women wouldn't tell their ex's that they are pregnant with their child so they carry them to full term and have them and not ever tell them they had their baby. This must be a tough decision.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm

DW wrote:
Vanille - you are right. I learned my lesson and I back off a lot quicker now as soon as the red flags start popping up. Lack of experience dealing with anyone on the PD spectrum is what killed me here.

I have a question. Since you have BPD with HPD tendencies, would you mind explaining why these people seem to pour their hearts out to others, knowing full well that we can't do anything for them? See the example reply I posted - all I asked her was why she got so emotional over trivial things. I am thinking that the fact that people know about their problems gives them some sense of satisfaction or peace?

jdn74 - Likewise I am sorry that you had to go through this for 7 years... I only went through this for 4 months. "Love-bombed" - I like that - because that is pretty much what happened. Within 4 days of meeting me she was talking about how she has been dreaming at night that she was talking to me, among other overly heavy compliments. I knew something was not right but I was still drawn in.

No contact did not work for me. It just made her worse. The trick that seems to have worked getting her off (at least for now) was to predictably shoot her ego to pieces. 1. I would take exactly 4 days to reply to any text she sent me (they hate routine and predictability). 2. I took 4 days to reply because that way she would slowly get bored waiting for me. 3. In my replies I would be quite harsh, telling her that I have better things to do with my life than to waste my time talking to her, for example. I'm not happy treating girls this way but HPDs have fragile egos and it's one way to get rid of them (this goes both ways however as the s**t treatment did draw her in even more for a while).

Goodness I knew couple people online who were impossible to ignore. I had a stalker online and I would ignore him but it didn't work because he had so many screen names he would just keep coming back and get very nasty if I ignored him and say I was making fun of him. But one day I grew a pair and started blocking him every time he IM me and I would go invisible online and I never gave out my other screen name because I had created it to ditch him so I could keep talking to my online buddies without having to sign off and I didn't have to sign off to log into my other screen name, I had them connected and I would just click the eye to be invisible.

Someone else I knew online, worst person ever and she was impossible to ignore on forums because she would say very nasty things and it would be obvious it was directed at someone and it was to get people to reply. One cure we found on another forum was posting junk in her thread talking about other things ignoring her. She f****d off.

I wonder if these people had any personality disorders. I had been thinking narcissism for my former stalker. Someone else thought the other person was a narc too.

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Aug 2015, 10:03 pm

More than possible. On a side note to my knowledge this girl was on every sort of forum or online outlet possible: Tinder, Cuddlr, CuddleUp, Pinterest, etc... she would routinely complain to me about how she has all these guys who she can't get rid of. I have a feeling it is actually the guys who can't get rid of her. To your point... these people seem to cruise the online world like no other.

I feel no relief knowing I got her to block me on FB the more I think about it... I may have been too aggressive with her - which goes in hand with what you are saying - these girls love the drama and attention no matter positive or negative. I have a good feeling I will be back here sooner or later with an update... a bad one :|

vanille
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2015, 6:54 pm

DW wrote:

First, a quote to help me explain : '' Many people think BPs don’t have empathy. They do—it’s just that their own emotions are so intense they can be oblivious to the emotions of those around them. They’re like a drowning person who grabs on to a would-be rescuer and pulls them both down.'' Source : BPD Central

The most important aspect is that we have not learned to deal with our emotions in a healthy way and that our neurological functioning is not '''typical''. Before I did group therapy, I was not aware of this. I learned that there was a difference between how I feel and what I do about it. Thus, I have no control about how I feel but I do have control over my behavior. Sometime I will burst in tears or get upset for no apparent reason just because something triggered me. I will feel intense sadness or anger even if the cause is benign and it will be worst if I am tired or if I did not follow my routine.

The reason why we seem to ''pour our heart out'' is that we don't know how to deal ourselves with these emotions and we tend to rely on others to help us. I needed therapy to help me figure how to take care of myself and how to validate my own emotions.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 8:15 pm

vanille wrote:
DW wrote:

First, a quote to help me explain : '' Many people think BPs don’t have empathy. They do—it’s just that their own emotions are so intense they can be oblivious to the emotions of those around them. They’re like a drowning person who grabs on to a would-be rescuer and pulls them both down.'' Source : BPD Central

The most important aspect is that we have not learned to deal with our emotions in a healthy way and that our neurological functioning is not '''typical''. Before I did group therapy, I was not aware of this. I learned that there was a difference between how I feel and what I do about it. Thus, I have no control about how I feel but I do have control over my behavior. Sometime I will burst in tears or get upset for no apparent reason just because something triggered me. I will feel intense sadness or anger even if the cause is benign and it will be worst if I am tired or if I did not follow my routine.

The reason why we seem to ''pour our heart out'' is that we don't know how to deal ourselves with these emotions and we tend to rely on others to help us. I needed therapy to help me figure how to take care of myself and how to validate my own emotions.

It is good that you realize that this behavior isn't normal, and are making an honest attempt to improve things. So many people with these conditions either aren't aware, and/or unwilling to recognize that they even have a problem to begin with. You are already off to a good start.

I have dealt with narcissists and people with BPD (most likely), and the main problems with them, were their inability to recognize the problems they cause other people (even people that aren't close to them). I would compare them to a tornado, that comes sweeping into town, and destroys everything around them, then after awhile, they disappear, with a whole lot of wreakage left behind. After that storm is over, it's on to the next town.