I'm done with survivalism!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 12:24 am

I just got permanently banned on the survival forum that I'd returned to five days ago. A mod has accused me of having a history of "childish, disruptive behavior" because of ONE post I made that was taken to be insulting to Christians. Yes, I made a mistake, but a permanent ban for what I did seems out of line. The forum has had problems with trolls lately.

This is actually the THIRD survival forum to permanently ban me during my time as a survivalist. Minion Report kicked me off after a month, Ferfal kicked me off his, and now Survivalist Boards has booted me. In addition, I was booted off Homesteading Today and Rich Dad Forums in the late 2000s, during a really bad time in my life. So, five forums. The only place I've ever really been welcomed is here on WP and on eHam (amateur radio forums).

I know that other aspies on WP have talked about being kicked off forums because of aspergers traits. I really am not a bad person, I am not a sociopathic troll looking to be "childish" and "disruptive", but I guess the internet feels otherwise. I wonder if I should just quit all forums and be a passive internet user. I refuse to post on news article forums because they are the dumpster of the net. So, I may say goodbye to WP, I am still mulling over that. I don't know yet.

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2015, 12:49 am

The NT's rule the internet due to sheer numbers, which is meh.

Don't punish Wrong Planet if Wrong Planet accepts you. Stay with the ones that do, and ignore the ones that don't.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 10:40 pm

As far as I can tell, Survivalist Boards has some pretty bats*** f***ing insane Christians on it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 3:05 am

I was sort of a prepper for Y2K then I got pissed off that it didn't happen and gave up on it, but it's something I'd really do again if I thought the s**t was going to hit the fan. So, I know where you are coming from and I'm going to say it to you in a way I understand it and I hope makes you see it a bit differently now that you have had time to calm down.

Disclaimer. I am not minimizing your anger at them or saying it's not valid or anything like that. You are angry and have a right to be. Some of the tin foil hat guys in that culture can drive anybody batshit crazy. I get it. Now, listen to what I'm saying to you and know where I'm coming from please.

So you are giving up all of your physical and mental preparation, your work that you have done and your research to be self sufficient as part of a subculture based on rugged individualism and giving the finger to almost everybody else and putting yourself and your family and your people ahead of everything to stay alive against all odds during severely hard times that we have never experienced before, because some old asshat pissed you off on the internet? Think about it a minute. He went after you and thought he smelled weakness. No, he did not. Anger isn't weakness. f**k a bunch of them. Don't try to argue with them just say s**t like "I didn't mean it that way and we can agree to disagree". Let s**t go. You can't be getting this emotional over worse s**t than this that will happen when TEOTWAWKI, and so use this old coot's BS he's trying to feed you as a way to learn to control your anger and make yourself suck it up and behave in the most rational and logical way you can, because when it all goes to hell you will need to have a clue how to do that and it will be much more emotional than this. Take the s**t he's giving you and turn it into chocolate pudding and spoon feed it right back to him.

I get emotional too, and I can't help it sometimes and it's just part of this s**t we have but we can't learn to control it more than we did before and we can keep on learning how to control it all our lives. I have a horrible temper and if I didn't learn to do something about that I would have done something stupid years ago. When it's balls to the wall and you have to make life or death decisions for yourself and possibly others do you really want to have to worry about your emotions? Cause that will get you killed. What you are prepping for is harsh and you have to be ready for it if you want to really do this and it's a lot harsher than this so use this to learn how to control yourself better. I'm not saying don't feel it. Of course you feel it the same way, that doesn't change. What changes is your reaction to it and you are also better able to switch to logical thinking even while furious because that is what saves your ass.

Don't let them think you are weak and you know you aren't so you get a grip on this. It's hard and takes a ton of effort but it's possible and you have to keep at it before you even see any results, but try. Write notes to yourself and stick them everywhere, look up techniques for this, do something about how you deal with s**t on a personal level so you will be able to act the way you need to when it's go time.

Please. It can't hurt to try and if you just give up without trying to beat this s**t you will never forgive yourself. Give it another go. I'm not being mean at all. It's what I'd want somebody to say to me so I said it to you because I thought you needed to hear it and probably could deal with it. You could start right now practicing if you are mad at me for saying this. I hope you aren't but it is what it is, and if noting else, I've provided an opportunity for practice. I'm probably good at that lol.

Let me know what you decide, I sometimes don't check threads.

ETA: when it comes down to it and there aren't that many left, those left will all be physicall strong and able to endure it, but it's those who are emotionally and mentally weak who will crack and give up or go nuts because that s**t is more mental torture than physical. Start learning how to lift those heavy mental weights now, when if you f**k up you just shrug it off and try again and it doesn't get you or somebody else killed.

You can do this. Stay strong.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm

being prepared is always a good idea. Don't let some idiots on a forum get you away from that. nobody said you had to be part of some larger "prepper" community online in order to be a prepper. I follow some prepper boards but I don't post to them.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:53 pm

Well, OOM, no I'm not giving up survivalism totally, I like the concept, I just can't seem to relate to a lot of the prepper community. I was pretty mad when I wrote the OP, but I still want to be prepared, I just liked having a community online to share stuff with, and now that's gone. I don't consider myself "mentally weak", it's just that I was PO'd when I wrote that and wanted nothing more to do with the survivalist COMMUNITY, NOT survivalism itself! Does that make it a little clearer? Like most autistics, my communications skills suck.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm

pezar wrote:
Well, OOM, no I'm not giving up survivalism totally, I like the concept, I just can't seem to relate to a lot of the prepper community. I was pretty mad when I wrote the OP, but I still want to be prepared, I just liked having a community online to share stuff with, and now that's gone. I don't consider myself "mentally weak", it's just that I was PO'd when I wrote that and wanted nothing more to do with the survivalist COMMUNITY, NOT survivalism itself! Does that make it a little clearer? Like most autistics, my communications skills suck.

I get you. There may be others besides that one. Are there local groups as well? Do you have a local militia? There are tons of things besides online for it. Hands on is a lot of fun.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm

What happened to believing in yourself?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 11:33 pm

Survivalism =/= participating in survivalist forums. You can still be a survivalist and not give a flying f**k about what people on survivalism forums have to say. In fact, learning to live without those forums is actually a good survivalist strategy in and of itself, because when the s**t hits the fan, those forums will likely cease to exist. ;)

DrewfromOz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2016, 6:24 pm

pezar wrote:
I just got permanently banned on the survival forum that I'd returned to five days ago. A mod has accused me of having a history of "childish, disruptive behavior" because of ONE post I made that was taken to be insulting to Christians. Yes, I made a mistake, but a permanent ban for what I did seems out of line. The forum has had problems with trolls lately.

Sorry to resurrect a long-quiet thread..... :)

I'm just researching Autism and prepping- for my own interest-I am a dad of 3 teens and near teens, 2 are on the spectrum, both with what was Asperger's before the DSM-5, and my boy usually has trouble with transitions and disruptions.....both of which go hand in hand with disasters...... I got a back handed diagnosis from my sons pediatrician, but nothing formal, so I sit on the edge most of the time.... :D
Anyhoo, and I saw your post, so I joined up to comment.

Don't give up prepping; it's a life skill, whether you are at the mild or wild end.

On forums, sometimes if you let your diagnosis go public, some folks are more accepting, others not so much really depends on the board.
Survivalistboards? Some of the mods are trolls themselves, and there was a massive implosion around the time you mention. Lots of infighting from what I heard, lots of folks up and quitting.
I posted there for years, even wrote some fiction there, but quit in disgust when I got into a stoush with a mod.
Ironically, it was over police as well..... I got admonished and lectured childishly in PM's by the mod, so I cut and pasted the conversation into the public boards. Copped a temp ban complete with more smart-ass lecturing from the mod, came back and ripped in again- again publishing the PM's in the main boards, then quit. :twisted:
I posted as AKM. over there, but don't any more.

Yeah, quite a few Christians there, some respectful, some not.
Maybe stay away from Frugals- very, very conservative in a religious way, borderline racist sometimes in regards to some members, and quick to boot people.

My suggestion is to maybe listen to podcasts by Jack Spirko over at the Survival Podcast- he admits to having Aspergers, and I have got a heck of a lot out of his shows. He's not an Alex Jones type of Survivalist; I reckon he's as balanced as anyone you are likely to find online in the industry.

Anyway,
Good luck, and keep prepping.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 12:20 pm

I've gone on a prepper/survivalist board (prepperforums) was filled with rightwing nutjobs! Guns guns guns, weapons, yada yada. None of those people will survive for a month, they gonna sit in their basement and think they're gonna defend their property when 20+ raiders pass by with automatic weapons and set fire to their house. Idiots!

Prepping over here in Europe is nothing like that (Uk preppers is a good site that i've lurked on for over a year), there is no focus on guns (some forums even ban it) and there is more focus on discussing technologies, give eachother skills and discuss survival methods.

I find Youtube and blogs to be an even better source of information than boards. I watch some preppers (Canadian Prepper, Prepper Logic, LDS Reliance, Blackscout Survival, Survival Lily) and some Bushcrafters (Tom McElroy, Far North Bushcraft, Paul Kirtley, AlfieAesthetics, MCQBushcraft) that can deliver some real insight, because they don't sit around talking politics and review weapons, they actually go out and do things.

Most of the people on the "political channels" could probably not even throw a water distiller together if you hit them over the head with assembly instructions.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 7:55 am

Guys, he can't hear you. The OP left WP some time ago. Then again he may still be lurking on this thread.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 5:03 pm

Thread is from 2015. You really think i expect an answer?

People who remain can still read the thread if they search for the subject, and it's better to continue an old thread instead of making 67 new ones.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 12:27 am

Pezar, maybe you're meant to be the survivalist of the Aspie community; have you ever thought about that??? Maybe you can teach us some things.