Going from online to offline?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:41 pm

I've been trying out some of the internet dating sites. I'm actually having some success in responses which I pretty new for me.

I'm wondering from all of you who have met someone in person from the internet, how do I go about it?

I'm pretty lost with this. How long should I wait until I ask to meet? Do I let the girl pick the place and time or should I? How common is it for a girl to agree to meet then cancel? And what can I do to help them feel more comfortable with meeting me?

Any advice from people who met someone from the internet would be greatly appreciated.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:32 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
How long should I wait until I ask to meet? Do I let the girl pick the place and time or should I? How common is it for a girl to agree to meet then cancel? And what can I do to help them feel more comfortable with meeting me?

Any advice from people who met someone from the internet would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest waiting maybe 3-5 "decent" messages to ask to meet (this is usually about a week or two time wise). By decent, I mean messages that are at least 1-2 paragraphs, and replies that ask questions about you also. That makes it clear that both of you are interested, and gives you both a chance to get to know each other a little bit first. Obviously everyone's different...I've had some girls who got creeped out when I asked to meet up after 10 messages, and others who messaged me asking me to meet up on the first message.

I would suggest keeping it open when you ask them to meet (something like "Would you like to get together for coffee or dinner sometime?), and if they agree then offer suggestions of a time and place. Always ask them for their input also.

It's fairly common for people to agree to meet and then cancel. I've done it and had it done on me. The best thing you can do to avoid that is to pick a very safe/public place, make sure that you both develop a connection online before you meet, and don't be pushy if they seem uncomfortable or nervous.