Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 2:54 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Grebels wrote:
So is The Kybalion to your liking techstep? I presume it isn't just a Freemason's booklet.

Two of its three authors were WW Atkinson and Paul Foster Case. Paul Foster Case founded one of the two orders I'm in, BOTA. Essentially if you look at either the BOTA or the Rider Waite version of The High Priestess - the seven laws are right there.
It takes a while for things like that to go from platitudes to things you fully see moving through your environment - for that reason I have to just say that lots of people swear by it, I can't yet because I haven't fully experienced it.

I've definitely experienced a construct of sorts behind matter that's very interesting but I've only had glimpses of it; technically what I'd think people in the occult world like to call the 4th dimension or the dimension of existence that comes in at right angles to our 3D experience. The best way I can explain what I've seen - think of the possibility that matter is waves in cross-section and those waves are across a gradient that you'd call 'multiple-universes'. In that sense life gets easier for a level 3 multiverse because you don't have to have factorials of all of the subatomic particles in the universe boiling off every plank second - it's just different oscillations of a wave and as you could have nearly infinite (from our standards at least) divisions of an inch if integers don't matter I could see nearly infinite divisions of such a wave. That which isn't going cross-sectional to us but with our 3-D environment would be what we'd classically consider a wave. Aside from that IMHO it's the only way matter would fit in anywhere on the electro-magnetic spectrume; otherwise if that's not the case we have to just get down to it and say that the claim that matter is on the electro-magnetic spectrum is BS until shown otherwise. As it stands atoms commonly oscillate in the 10^13 hz range so to say that they hang at the bottom end of the electro-magnetic (as I've heard some schools insist - and the Kybalion for that matter) doesn't seem to fit that motif unless there's a longer sequence of sorts within that which just isn't being accounted for.

a level 3 multiverse :? :?:

could you explicate the different levels or link to an explanation of same?
i've not heard that terminology and am curious :nerdy: :D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 7:46 pm

Grebels wrote:
techstep, thanks for the reply. I've had to read it through a few times and will again to get understanding.

It seems to me that language, or lets just say words make up for a lot of our differences. The fundies insist on certain words and hate things like "God is mental", or "The All".

I don't think it's just words. I was talking to some people just a couple hours ago. I think one of the worst things that happened to Christianity, by way of Catholicism, was the Nicene Creed and the paradigm it outlines. By the time Martin Luther broke free of the Catholic church he didn't really break free per say, he didn't even break free of Nicea, and the only thing they revoked Mary's place as an eternal virgin by saying that Jesus had brothers and sisters.

In reality people try these days to call Jesus a remake of Osiris and Mary a remake of Isis - the later seems to have a lot more weight than the former, the former being that there have been a litany of dying solar deities throughout history, no two quite alike, but certain elements like betrayal and death at the hands of powers that willed to destroy that light doing so and this figure then resurrecting in various different ways - Tamuz, Dionysus, Adonis, Osiris, Odin, Serapis, and JC on the short-list.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 8:07 pm

slave wrote:

I don't know who coined that name but it's the theory in QM that every time a probability split occurs that it generates a parallel universe. Its intuitively revolting because of the kind of absurd waste and redundancy it seems to apply - if that's really what's happening.

This video is a Brian Greene panel discussing different approaches to the measurement problem - Sean Carroll represents the side of level 3 multiverse:

slave wrote:

Not sure what you're asking so I'll do my best; I don't know why they call it level 3, what level 1 and level 2 would signify. As far as my explanation of matter as 3-D cross-sections of a 5-D wave that's not a scientific theory, something closer to a personal hunch based on certain experiences I've had and it's one of the only ways where level 3 multiverse skips the absurd redundancy of creating as many copies of the universe as there are possible probability events every Planck second (a Planck second I believe is the shortest piece of time available in the universe? Roughly 5.4 x 10^-44 seconds) just by allowing a universe and it's parallel universes to be nothing more but varying measurements of the same waves bundled together in different ways across lateral distances.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 10:58 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
slave wrote:

I don't know who coined that name but it's the theory in QM that every time a probability split occurs that it generates a parallel universe. Its intuitively revolting because of the kind of absurd waste and redundancy it seems to apply - if that's really what's happening.

This video is a Brian Greene panel discussing different approaches to the measurement problem - Sean Carroll represents the side of level 3 multiverse:

slave wrote:

Not sure what you're asking so I'll do my best; I don't know why they call it level 3, what level 1 and level 2 would signify. As far as my explanation of matter as 3-D cross-sections of a 5-D wave that's not a scientific theory, something closer to a personal hunch based on certain experiences I've had and it's one of the only ways where level 3 multiverse skips the absurd redundancy of creating as many copies of the universe as there are possible probability events every Planck second (a Planck second I believe is the shortest piece of time available in the universe? Roughly 5.4 x 10^-44 seconds) just by allowing a universe and it's parallel universes to be nothing more but varying measurements of the same waves bundled together in different ways across lateral distances.

oic

many thanks :D

will watch soon can't @ present :(

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 12:32 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Surely it's only 'wasteful' from our limited perspective of finite resources. I can't begin to imagine the amount of energy required to sustain the model.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 6:22 am

adifferentname wrote:
Surely it's only 'wasteful' from our limited perspective of finite resources. I can't begin to imagine the amount of energy required to sustain the model.

True, and we don't know just how much energy is pouring down into the system to begin with. The cosmic background radiation offers some help but even that seems unlikely to be able to handle factorial equations with 10 x n^80 as their base. It would be numbers like we've never seen before.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 9:03 am

techstep, I was thinking of beliefs like the Stoics, or in some ways Buddhism. Paul points out the big difference which is Christ and Him crucified. Paul was in touch with first hand witnesses, although I haven't checked the date he wrote that. I note you mention other beliefs with stories of death and resurrection. Yet it is Jesus Christ who make the Christian belief unique. I am just facing up to the difficult questions concerning my faith.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 5:10 pm

Christianity took it further, I'd fully agree, and I'd also consider that there's no other solar deity that you could swap Jesus out for - story per story. The hardest thing with Christianity is the historical facts. It seems like the ground-level events and the Synoptic Gospels vs. the Gospel of John and the Paulian Epistles form very different camps, and then you have James the Just who would have never considered Jesus being neoplatonized for the gentiles. Somewhere between a Jewish messianic figure and a solar logos the whole story blurs and what we're left with doesn't seem to converge well.

With my former Catholicism I tend to look at the statements of "I am the true vine", being born-again of the spirit, Paul saying that we're all member's of Christ's body, as things that strongly point to him as archetypal man, ie. Adam Kadmon taking on incarnation. I could be fudging that in favor of the new testament and that I grew up with it but that's what I'm somewhat forced to do with the figure of Jesus in my own inner life. Similarly with my own Tree of Life with the YHVH spheres of Chokmah, Binah, Tiphareth, and Malkuth, I place Christ Logos (opening of John) in Chokmah, Isis/Sophia in Binah, Jesus in Tiphareth, and incarnate Mary in Malkuth. the Y and V are deemed masculine, the H's feminine, and it seems like the most plausible extrapolation for my own beliefs. One thing of course that challenges that as the only place for Mary is going to certain churches where I see the three Mary's crowded around the base of the cross where - from the artist's rendering - its nigh impossible not to see their illustration of the three Mary's as representing the three phases of the moon or Diana-Selene-Hecate, also known as the triple-Hecate. Needless to say this stuff gets deep and slushy, and Christianity particularly Catholicism is loaded with it in the most oblique places.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 6:53 am

I cannot comment on the Catholic faith, except as everywhere they do seem to be a mixed bunch. I don't know how much the theology refers to reality.

My fundie friends were always real about spiritual things. That changed with the Toronto Blessing, all that power when the people just seemed to want a bit of fun. I suppose fun is OK to acertain point, but I look to ther Holy Spirit to do something in my life more than my falling about laughing.

The fundies look upon Luke as a good historian, whilst John is all about doctrine. I don't feel able to argue. The death and resurrection is taken as a figure for our own lives. The old man of the flesh dies and the new man in Adam takes his place. That does depend on being filled with The Holy Spirit and then submission to The Spirit in daily life. Dancing around laughing can be a very superfical experience, but can also be good.

You mention Hecate and I just thought of Shakespeare's three witches. Maybe King James in the audience would have understood the point. My fundie friends will agree about the Catholics taking the ancient teligions onboard, from the other side of the fence. Have you see the Ingres portait of Napoleon? His robes are interesting. Do they go back to ancient Babylon, before Rome?

The fundies try to go back to the original Bible and forget the traditions. We could argure about that, but for me the issue is does doctrine enable us to love God and if God necessarily our fellow man. Without that we have lost our way completely.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 1:22 pm

Grebels wrote:
techstep, I was thinking of beliefs like the Stoics, or in some ways Buddhism. Paul points out the big difference which is Christ and Him crucified. Paul was in touch with first hand witnesses, although I haven't checked the date he wrote that. I note you mention other beliefs with stories of death and resurrection. Yet it is Jesus Christ who make the Christian belief unique. I am just facing up to the difficult questions concerning my faith.

Grebels, I want to commend you for "facing up to the difficult questions concerning my faith".

I respect your willingness to engage your faith in this way.

Billions of humans do not ever utilize critical thinking skills in relation to religion.

I have done what you are doing and it is difficult, the beliefs we are taught are entrenched deeply within us.

Imo, it is well worth the effort.

All the best in this laudable endeavor. :)

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 3:53 pm

Thanks Slave. I have a faith which workks at a practical level. It is not a fairy story. However, there were always questions which would never go away. Thinking about them, let alone asking questions was not acceptable. The questions increased as I got deeper into my Bible study. I feel secure in that I desire truth and that can come independently. That is the way things have been over the years.

In a way it is looking for more, with new depth.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 4:46 pm

Grebels wrote:
Thanks Slave. I have a faith which workks at a practical level. It is not a fairy story. However, there were always questions which would never go away. Thinking about them, let alone asking questions was not acceptable. The questions increased as I got deeper into my Bible study. I feel secure in that I desire truth and that can come independently. That is the way things have been over the years.

In a way it is looking for more, with new depth.

Enjoy your quest. :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 9:19 pm

Grebels wrote:
The fundies look upon Luke as a good historian, whilst John is all about doctrine. I don't feel able to argue. The death and resurrection is taken as a figure for our own lives. The old man of the flesh dies and the new man in Adam takes his place. That does depend on being filled with The Holy Spirit and then submission to The Spirit in daily life. Dancing around laughing can be a very superfical experience, but can also be good.

There's an old book that covers a lot of people throughout history who've had the flash of what's called Cosmic Consciousness, often they saw things on fire around them - in a similar way to what Moses exprienced. That's often what's referred to as being 'born again of the spirit'.

Grebels wrote:
Have you see the Ingres portait of Napoleon? His robes are interesting. Do they go back to ancient Babylon, before Rome?

I don't know enough about heraldry to say whether the specifics of his garb was either directly reminiscent of a Bourbon or antagonistic toward them. For a leader who rose in the aftermath of the French Revolution that seems like an awkward thing to do. One of the things that is interesting about the Palace Royale is that people often talk about similarities between it and the Temple of Luxor in Egypt. The sun symbolism in the picture probably says more than anything, ie. a solar king/monarch, which strangely again has him getting painted in the manner of a Bourbon. The only thing that seems to be missing is tons of bee and flor de lis images.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 9:36 am

slave wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
slave wrote:

slave wrote:

oic

many thanks :D

will watch soon can't @ present :(

"Level 3 multiverse" is based on Max Tegmark's classification:

http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/PDF/m ... _sciam.pdf

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 9:57 am

Grebels wrote:

Yeah? Like why would god torture and kill himself in order to reform the rules he himself created?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 10:09 am

didgeridoo wrote:
I was raised as an atheist but as I grow older (I am 25 now) I find myself drawn more and more to Eastern religions such as Buddhism. I was diagnosed with mild Autism at age 7 and was abused by my parents my entire life (physically & emotionally by my mother and neglected by my father). I think those combination of events are contributing to me seeking outside sources of comfort that religions have historically provided.

Is anyone else on here a Buddhist? Is there anything you have found about Buddhism that conflicts with your identity as a Autistic person?

I've always been an agnostic, now an atheist. When I was 16 I got a job shelving books at the local library and started to read about Buddhism and all sorts of religions. I was fascinated by Zen Buddhism and started to meditate as often as I could. When I was 20, one day at lunch sitting in my car, it all became clear. I was reading Alan Watts' excellent book on Zen, and turned the page. It was blank. Then it hit me like a punch in the face. Looking for meaning or transformation in Buddhism or anywhere else is like looking for your hat while it's on your head. I drove to the mall and walked around feeling like I was floating 3 inches off the ground. There was a peaceful disassociation with my thoughts. I've read a little on the subject since then, but it all seems obvious now and doesn't interest me. I don't meditate anymore. I never followed the rules of Buddhism like avoiding meat or intoxicants (although whenever I do abstain, the old feeling of enlightenment comes back, so there's something to that rule). Pursuing enlightenment is itself like a drug. I have no particular desire for it. I do believe it can come like a flash of insight. Is it related to some cosmic truth? Only that there is no self other than thought. And that suffering is self generated.