Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2015, 8:31 am

My wife said she was diagnosed with Conceptual Dyslexia as a child. Can anyone tell me what this is or where I could find information on it?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 5:43 pm

Anachron wrote:
My wife said she was diagnosed with Conceptual Dyslexia as a child. Can anyone tell me what this is or where I could find information on it?

I am unaware of that sub-type. Does this help?(read below)

"Forms of Dyslexia

The Dyslexia Determination Test (DDT) will determine the three fundamental types of dyslexia and its seven permutation patterns. It is used to investigate specific aspects of language problems relating to reading, writing and spelling. The test is in three parts; the first one involves checking for written reversals of numbers and letters. The second part tests the mode of decoding words: eidetic or phonetic. The third and last part consists of assessing whether encoding is eidetic or phonetic.

Examples of the three fundamental types of dyslexia:

Dysnemkinesia (motor)

A deficit in remembering how to do the movements needed for writing.

For example:
The student will make reversals.
The student will write b instead of d.

Dysphonesia (auditory)

A deficit in the ability to sound off, to syllabicate, to pronounce and to distinguish sounds of unfamiliar words.
For example:
The student reads house instead of home.
The student writes aminal instead of animal.

Dyseidesia (visual)

A deficit in the ability to recognize whole words by sight and match them to whole-word sounds.

For example:
The student reads ball instead of bell.
The student writes enuf instead of enough.

IMPORTANT: A student with a Non-Verbal Learning Disability and/or a visual acuity problem will not demonstrate characteristics of dyslexia on the DDT.

The above dyslexia tests are available from the Canadian Dyslexia Centre."

Source: canadian Dyslexia association

let me know :D

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm

slave wrote:
Thank you. Yes, this was helpful. I did a little research and came up empty. It must have been in the late 1980s when she was told that she has this, so maybe it has changed into something else since then.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 12:21 am

Anachron wrote:
slave wrote:
Thank you. Yes, this was helpful. I did a little research and came up empty. It must have been in the late 1980s when she was told that she has this, so maybe it has changed into something else since then.

your welcome
be well :D

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2015, 12:10 pm

I suspect this could possibly describe a symtom of Autistics. I understand that Asperger's was not officially associated with Autism until 2012 and I don't know what the view of AS was in the 1980s. Perhaps, she is on the spectrum, is what I am trying to figure out.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 12:02 am

Anachron wrote:
I suspect this could possibly describe a symtom of Autistics. I understand that Asperger's was not officially associated with Autism until 2012 and I don't know what the view of AS was in the 1980s. Perhaps, she is on the spectrum, is what I am trying to figure out.

Have her do this test~~~~ http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests

click on "Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ) (Adult)"

her score will give a valid and reliable indication of whether she has ASD or not.

the Systemizing Quotient (SQ) test is also very informative

if she scores low on both she is not ASD and just has a learning disability

do you have ASD?

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2015, 10:06 pm

Thank you, slave.

I got a 40 and a couple days later she took it alone and scored a 38.

I asked her how she felt about it and she said, "I don't really care either way, I am who I am."

slave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 1:44 pm

Anachron wrote:
Thank you, slave.

I got a 40 and a couple days later she took it alone and scored a 38.

I asked her how she felt about it and she said, "I don't really care either way, I am who I am."

Your welcome, Anachron. :D

It is likely that either you or your wife or both will have some questions as this news sinks in. That is to be expected.

Feel free to express these questions as they come.

We'll be glad to help. :D

Many people look back over their lives when they find out that they are Autistic and find that things that were confusing now make a lot of sense.