Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 7:50 pm

Lintar wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
People are afraid of death and the nothingness and wish to believe there is another world they go to after they die which is why they become religious, that and growing up being indocrinated with religion throughout childhood I sure was and as I grew up I did not buy into that crap especially when I discovered that Santa Clause was not real when I was 2 years old.

But you see, if death really is complete nothingness and oblivion then we've got nothing at all to fear, because we won't be aware of the fact that we no longer are. It seems to me that there are those who think that we will somehow be able to experience 'nothingness', that it will be like existing in some dark pit, but that can't be true, so the argument that religious beliefs arise due to a fear of death just doesn't make sense, and the evidence for this position of mine is the existence of religions like Judaism and Buddhism that don't actually require one to believe in an afterlife, and don't have scriptures that push this view.

However, even if you had a point here (and you don't), so what? Isn't this the genetic fallacy you are making here? You know, the belief that how a belief arises in the first place determines whether or not the belief in question is true or not. It doesn't. The afterlife could still be real, those who accept this notion could still be right, even if they believe what they do for all the wrong reasons.
I would rather experience nothingness than eternal burning and torture but then again with the eternal burning and torture at least I wont be bored and in due time I will be so used to it and adapt to it and might even take pleasure out of it. Eternal BDSM does not seem so bad after all!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 9:04 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
People are afraid of death and the nothingness and wish to believe there is another world they go to after they die which is why they become religious, that and growing up being indocrinated with religion throughout childhood I sure was and as I grew up I did not buy into that crap especially when I discovered that Santa Clause was not real when I was 2 years old.

I really think if people would be afraid of anything it's living a life they can't stand, particularly losing their dignity and integrity, and having to live like that for the remainder of their being. For those who don't think it's a Machichean/Zoroastrian heaven vs. hell outcome, and in the subset who have a fear driving their belief, it would probably be just that - fear of having their desire to be human in the best sense of the word slashed to pieces by the notion that their most intimate aspirations have no legitimate target. Nonexistence tomorrow would be better than 40 years to 50 years of degeneration first; perhaps at the point of nothingness there'd be nothing to feel or remember but in either case a 40 or 50 year slide into deeper shades of nihilism would be quite a vivid nightmare.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 12:28 am

I puled out a magic lampoand wished him away! Prove that I did not do this, it is just like disproving god with no evidence but he has no eviudence or proof of existing as for where did I come from? I came from my parents, God did not create me therefore I am out of his Jurisdiction!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList