Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 11:21 am

I am atheistic agnostic, meaning that if I really were to choose if I believe or not I would say the answer "Gods don't exist" is more possible than the other way around but I personally don't care.

There can be a God or not - no matter if I believe in one or not it won't change my life.

I think I live my life well enough to not end up in "hell" when I die if any religion is right (unless God is some kind of rowdy brat who sends to hell everyone who doesn't worship him - but I refuse to believe in that) and I am fine with the idea there is nothing after death or that there is some kind of reincarnation too. I just live my life right in my personal opinion and I am pretty sure that God or karma would be gentle with me if they exist because I don't really break any common moral rules, just some subjective ones that seem illogical to me.

And since there is no way for me to know what is true I don't think about God or afterlife or lack of them in my daily life. I did some research before but I couldn't find an answer so I don't bother anymore. I will know when the time comes - after death. Unless of course there is nothing after death because in that case there will be no "me" to know that atheists were right. :lol:

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 11:39 am

I used to be an Atheist, who used to think that I was an Agnostic, but most Atheists are more-accurately part of a Fundamentalist-Style Belief-System known as Materialism, and Materialism is not actually a Science, but a Philosophy, just that it tends to masquerade as-if though it were Science. The blur & grey comes in when you learn different languages, contexts, and even definition-sets within languages (such as Legalese-definitions, insider-jargon, para-psychological terminology, etc). Once you have a sufficiently developed paradigm-grid whether one beliefs s**t or not no longer becomes important. Currently, all that matters to me is if others interact peacefully or not, because that was the main crux & argument against the religious-behaviours of the past day (i.e.: pogroms, crusades, witch-hunts, inquisitions, holo-causts, etc). Matters NOT which « ideology » one follows, what does matter is that you/I/anyone should never force their/our/my ideologies upon others (such as how governments do it with punishments for non-conformity thus making government a religion).

Get into high-end quantum-physics, you will see, that so-called reality is never set-in-stone. Consider some of the « tokens » that you get of a so-called greater-reality, for example, when you have dreams that you can remember. When said dreams of yours had occurred, you were NOT thinking at the time such things like « OMG ! What just happened to my physical-body!? Last thing I remember was going into my room then hopping into bed. » Nope, you are NOT having such thoughts, but your « reality » has certainly changed, even to the point where it's like your very memories have been over-written (somewhat), for if you are doing things like floating around in the air, teleporting, hovering, etc., you are NOT thinking to yourself « Hey, this is strange, when did I start being able to fly around like this... » NOPE... NOTHING UNUSUAL HERE (therefore, for all we know, the very entire laws-of-physics could have changed five minutes ago, possibly even five minutes from now, with our own memories altered, and we'd NEVER KNOW IT !). Perhaps our so-called « deaths » are really nothing more than transitions into different time-lines similarly to how multiple save-game-files might be saved for a character on some video-game.

I have to refer to myself as an agnostic to avoid confusion simply because the rest of society hasn't caught up to context yet. Most people still only use definition-sets from Webster's dictionary, for example, but are still completely clueless about Legalese definition-sets, and even alternative definition-sets, you could call it a kind of Double-Speak where a manipulator says one thing & makes you think that he's refering to something according to dictionary definition, when in fact he may actually be using an alternate definition-set for every word spoken.

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2015, 3:42 pm

Whats really funny is that Atheism and Religion both require the same thing. Faith. Simply denying or espousing the existence of god (or any type of creator) does not make your belief true. And that makes it faith.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 1:04 am

Eric2971 wrote:
Whats really funny is that Atheism and Religion both require the same thing. Faith. Simply denying or espousing the existence of god (or any type of creator) does not make your belief true. And that makes it faith.

Steve Theist: "There is a god."
Bob Atheist: "I don't think there is."
Steve Theist: "Wow, look at all the faith we both have!"

... :?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 2:03 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Eric2971 wrote:

Baffling, is it not?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 5:12 am

adifferentname wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Eric2971 wrote:

Baffling, is it not?

Not at all.
I can't be theist nor atheist because I lack faith - I need knowledge, proves.
There is no prove Gods exist but noone can prove for sure that they don't because we might simply lack the abilities to perceive them using physical body.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 5:49 am

Kiriae wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Eric2971 wrote:

Baffling, is it not?

Not at all.
There is no prove Gods exist but noone can prove for sure that they don't because we might simply lack the abilities to perceive them using physical body.

I was actually saying that it's baffling that theists insist that not believing in something is an act of faith, but thanks for playing.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 11:28 am

Some sources I have come across have made claims about technology existing that allows us to see life-forms in alternate light-spectrums, some of which even have actual footage, such as the infra-red critters (some phenomenon that might be mistaken for UFOs/Saucers), such as can be seen here...

Obviously, video-footage alone isn't enough to prove anything, for additional questions are such that one must ask, such as the location (i.e.: co-ordinates on earth) from where this was filmed, time/day, weather-conditions, camera-checks, any witnesses other than the camera-man, and if it's possible for the rest of us to personally witness this for ourselves, what type of equipment we need, etc. All of this of course is for the sake of giving those of us who do have the means & fundings to go to these places for ourselves in order to confirm/verify that it wasn't an elaborate CGI-project (and for all we know the « humans » from « primitive » eras may have simply mistaken aliens or some head-alien for being gods or God).

Kiriae wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Eric2971 wrote:

Baffling, is it not?

Not at all.

Even more obscure sources (not able to link them right now sorry as they are in fact obscure), make claims that Jupiter can be seen teeming with life & is full of vegetation when viewed with an extremely high-powered telescope in the ultra-violet light-spectrum, whilst if viewed only in the normal light-spectrums that are visible to the human-eye, that the only thing we would otherwise see is a dead planet full of poisonous gaseous-clouds. Scientific-progress about these kinds of things are mainly being held back from public-knowledge due to sinister-interests that use corporate-greed & control as a weapon to suppress knowledge from the masses.

Edit/Update: Decided to randomly check for any uploads of activity recorded in ultra-violet spectrum and it looks like I've managed to find something quite interesting... starts out with stills then goes into live-footage.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 11:54 am

DevilKisses wrote:
Do you think agnostics exist?

Yes, but fewer than we think. The agnostic card can be played to make batshit crazy people (including atheists) who want to discuss absurd subjects go away.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 7:55 pm

If we stick to the literal definition of agnostic (without knowledge), then all humans are agnostic.
No one has knowledge that God exists, and no one has knowledge to the contrary.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 12:16 am

There are people who claim they have such knowledge, and will probably take offence if you question it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:22 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I think they exist. Not everyone knows whether they believe in god or not. Some people don't even care about that. It seems like atheists don't believe those people exist. They think agnostics are actually atheists.

obviously yes

why is this even a question? :? :? :? :?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:48 am

YippySkippy wrote:
If we stick to the literal definition of agnostic (without knowledge), then all humans are agnostic.
No one has knowledge that God exists, and no one has knowledge to the contrary.

Precisely.

slave wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
I think they exist. Not everyone knows whether they believe in god or not. Some people don't even care about that. It seems like atheists don't believe those people exist. They think agnostics are actually atheists.

obviously yes

why is this even a question? :? :? :? :?

Don't worry, slave. They'll get there eventually.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 11:01 am

:lol: hopefully :lol: My breath will not be held. :wink:

Now, of course, if one wishes one can spend a life time arguing epistemological complexities of
What is knowledge?
What is justification?
What is belief?
What is true/truth?
What about bounded rationality?
What is perception and sensation?
These and innumerable other questions have 1000's of books written about them.

The way I see it, all Atheists if pushed to the maximum extent by a professional Philosopher would have to admit that they are actually Agnostic. Intellectual honesty would say that the totality is unknowable, that a degree of uncertainty must be acknowledged. Also, why would any person define themselves by the absence of a belief?

Many Atheists are frankly Anti-theist as a reaction to the obvious BS that is theism and the horrors of organized religion. They experience a mace-like intellectual affront when confronted by the fallacious ejaculate of the feeble-minded. There is only so much idiocy one can tolerate before one becomes repulsed and openly anti-theist like Richard Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchens(dog rest his soul :P :lol: )

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 10:45 pm

slave wrote:
The way I see it, all Atheists if pushed to the maximum extent by a professional Philosopher would have to admit that they are actually Agnostic.

In my experience, people can't be "pushed" by reason in any way. It came as a surprise to me, because I do feel compelled to change my views when I find valid reasons to, and to be intellectually honest by not avoiding them. This puts me in a position of absolute inferiority to anyone I'm arguing with, as I don't consider the option of resorting to known fallacies, and much less insulting those who disagree with me, which is precisely what most people will do if you try to "push" them, assuming they didn't already start the discussion this way.

At the end of the day, what matters is who is more powerful; people know it and they avoid wasting time with philosophical fuss. Insulting you is a way to put you in your place, because, ultimately, it means they'd like to settle the matter by means of a physical fight. You tend to be much less inclined to start fights when you expect to lose them.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2015, 9:36 am

I 100% believe there is no such thing as a God, or "greater being". I believe in Aliens more than Gods (no really, I do, I think it's close to statistically impossible for a universe this big to not have some other form of intelligent life). That said, I do believe Agnostics "exist", there could be a God or there couldn't be in the eyes of many, it's a perfectly valid standpoint. I think there is a fairly big distinction between atheist and agnostic.

As for me being atheist, I'm not a die hard "NO ONE MUST BELIEVE IN GOD" type person. If you want to believe in a God, go right ahead, live your life the way you want to live it, no-one has a right to judge your beliefs. I do believe there are many lessons that can be learned from religion, I find myself particularly interested in Pagan beliefs and their way of life, I just don't believe in higher beings or afterlife.

So all in all, yes, agnostics exist, atheists exist, religious folks exist and all have a right to what they believe in. That's just my opinion.