Who else has never got drunk in their life?

Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 2:25 am

Pepe wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
TheAP wrote:
To be honest, the idea of losing control of myself and having kind of a surreal experience is intriguing to me.

Doesn't work like that. It's a mild sedative, so you'll just get more and more sleepy the more you drink until you fall to sleep/wobble around like a zombie. Think the opposite of coffee.

It makes you a better driver though... ;)

reminds me of a bit of song lyric-
kelly went out on new year's eve, to spread a little cheer
he tried to drink up everything and ended up on beer
a cop come over to his automobile for just a little talk
says "are ya figurin' on a'drivin' home?
he says "sure, i'm too drunk to walk!"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 9:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:

lol...
I enjoyed that...;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 9:24 pm

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

lol...
I enjoyed that...;)

very rare recording of butterball brown, heard it on dr. demento ages ago.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 7:59 am

...Hah , your description of the folks around you is certainly living up to the stereotype people outside the U.K. have of Britain , eh ??? :P hehehe :lol: !
I've often thought , it seems the (centuries-ago) people in Britain who were against drinking came to America ? (My descent/who came over is pretty much 100% British Isles .) I mean , in America we had the brilliant idea of Prohibition ! (Well , I guess if you like the Kennedy family's being in politics , it was an ace idea :P :lol: .)
Briefly , I'm pretty close to that I think there's only one time I've ever , maybe , been " drunk " ~ It was the night of the Oscars the night that " Ray " won Best Picture and after Ronald Reagan had died , I recall .
I do drink slightly .
Given my homelessness , I suppose I " ought to " get drunk , as it's what people would expect of me anyway ? :(
Maybe I don't want to lose control .

te="Joe90"]I hate it when I'm sitting with a group of older women and they're sharing how drunk they used to get when they were my age and younger. And I'm just sitting there like, ''I like cheese.....''

I hate drinking. Though I've never got drunk before, I still know that I will end up having a hangover and I have true Emetophobia (fear of vomiting), and also I don't want to lose my self-control. I just don't want to get drunk, OK?

But the other day people were talking about this old lady they have known since they were children, and they were saying how boring she is, and then somebody said in a critical way ''and she's never been drunk in her life!''

So is it that shameful to not ever get drunk? Is it supposed to matter that much? Does it make you a boring person just because you have never been drunk? Will I suddenly get more friends if I can prove that I have been drunk at least once?[/quote]

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2015, 10:07 am

Not me, I'm afraid. I was always driven to experiment, and getting drunk was pretty much considered an essential rite of passage for teenagers where I came from. As others on the thread have pointed out though, teetotalism is much more commonplace in the US - or at least certain parts of it - than the UK. I'm only a moderate drinker nowadays though, as most people rightly grow out of thinking that binging is fun or cool.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm

...I've gotten tipsy-ish ~ I guess ~ on really high-class stuff like Four Lokos and Budweiser Clamato :P ! !! !! !! !! !!
Booze and lots of caffeinated soda (including diet) can give you that " old-school " Four Lokos effect as well :mrgreen: :) ! !! !! !! !! !! :wink:

arrose100
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2015, 3:17 pm

The first time I got drunk I was 26 (finished college) . I had one margarita. I didn't lose control nor did I get sick. I was with my fiancee, a very responsible person, and he was very kind.

Some religions frown on drinking, so do some geographic areas. However some areas have *a lot* of people who drink; too much. When a person fulfills their job but is an alcoholic that's a functional alcoholic. Alcoholics want other people to drink, and there are more of them than we know. So next time someone disses people as boring because the don't drink ask yourself how interesting are they? Would you like to be more like them? - Probably not.

Many people are funny, interesting, and enjoy everyone's company whether they are drunk or not. Isn't that more important?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 6:39 pm

Bustduster wrote:
Not me, I'm afraid. I was always driven to experiment, and getting drunk was pretty much considered an essential rite of passage for teenagers where I came from. As others on the thread have pointed out though, teetotalism is much more commonplace in the US - or at least certain parts of it - than the UK. I'm only a moderate drinker nowadays though, as most people rightly grow out of thinking that binging is fun or cool.

Drinking until you puke is an Australian tradition with the young and dumb, I am ashamed to say...
One of the few bad things about the Oz culture...
Based on this, I will never be a totally true blue Aussie... :mrgreen:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm

I have only been drunk about 3 times before and honestly I don't like it. Alcohol doesn't make me more social it just makes me tipsy, less talkative and puts me to sleep. I also have difficulty justifying the cost. I just see spending any money on drugs or alcohol as a waste of money. I would rather spend money on lego or clothes, something that I get to hold onto.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm

Me.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 6:59 pm

Noca wrote:
I also have difficulty justifying the cost. I just see spending any money on drugs or alcohol as a waste of money.

One of the reasons I never got into them either...

When I was a kid I reasoned that if I took drugs/alcohol to escape reality, I might become addicted...
If I became addicted I would have to monetarily service that addiction...
Therefore, rather than being free from the ugliness of the life system, I would be a slave to servicing that escape...
Not to mention possibly turning to crime to support the habit...
Oh dear, I just did... ;)

I was a dysfunctional, but fundamentally logical kid too... 8)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 1:48 am

I never had the feeling of being out of control despite being drunk. It also doesn't make me massively more social (doesn't hurt, though). My dad would never look drunk no matter how much he had, so maybe there's some weird gene involved with that. YMMV.

I don't miss it much, thankfully, but that's because it gets my adrenaline level up and actually makes me nervous, now. 8O

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 6:29 am

I have never been drunk, and I have never been in a situation where I've been pressured to drink. I think celebrating getting drunk is pretty dumb, and people who do so would not be the right friends for me. But I also know people who look down on people who drink responsibly and I don't think that's right, either. I personally see nothing wrong in an occasional drink, but drinking too much can have some serious consequences and should be avoided. I also personally do not want to spend the money on that much alcohol - it is expensive! I am also wary of consuming that many empty calories.

When I drink, I drink responsibly. I usually only have one drink (two at most, and over a period of time), and with food. An alcoholic drink is a "treat" for me. I only drink socially, and only with certain people, so it is not an everyday thing. I will occasionally drink at home if I am going through a particularly stressful period and need something to help me relax.

Yes, alcohol is a drug. I treat it that way. If I have a bad headache that won't go away, I take some Advil. But I only take what is needed, not the whole bottle! Likewise, occasionally I might have a drink - one drink - to help me relax. It does the job. No need to get drunk. I don't take daily anxiety meds.