Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 10:53 am

androbot01 wrote:
In an argument there are obviously people involved, as argument is exchange of ideas. And the ideas come from people. It is easy to be distracted by the people, but it is the ideas that are interesting.
That is, you can chop the messenger of at the knees, but the idea still flies. Even if it's wrong.

I notice you try to control other people's words. A lot of people do this. The paramount nature of discourse, I guess. But don't rely on control. Sometimes listening is powerful.

Again, examples?

Even if I wanted to control your words, how would I go about doing that? I'm arguing with you, which means rebutting things that you say that I believe to be wrong, that's sort of the point here. What do you expect, that I'm supposed to internalize your beliefs and learn from them? You haven't made nearly a strong enough case for that, and I doubt anyone ever could on this issue.

Also, have you missed the part of the thread where fugu has spent an inordinate amount of time attempting to put support for Roosh's beliefs in my mouth, or are you only interested in criticizing the person who's disagreeing with you?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 11:39 am

Dox47 wrote:
... What do you expect, that I'm supposed to internalize your beliefs and learn from them? You haven't made nearly a strong enough case for that, and I doubt anyone ever could on this issue.

Not at all. I don't expect you to change your view on this issue. But it's more interesting to discuss the ideas than it is to get lost in semantics.

Quote:
Also, have you missed the part of the thread where fugu has spent an inordinate amount of time attempting to put support for Roosh's beliefs in my mouth, or are you only interested in criticizing the person who's disagreeing with you?

That's Fugu's fight. I don't think your position makes you a rape apologist.

Also, I have found that learning comes from the most unexpected sources.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Fugu wrote:
tacit
[tas-it]
adjective
understood without being openly expressed; implied:
tacit approval.

Then kindly highlight the part of the quote where I "tacitly" approved of his positions, or keep dodging the question, whatever floats your boat.
I already have. feel free to continue dodging while accusing me of it. I've always been a fan of tragic irony in progress.
Quote:
Fugu wrote:
how about the post where you implied that androbot didn't know what incitement meant

I didn't imply, I outright stated, and she didn't and doesn't. That's also not what 'move the goalposts' means, thanks for confirming that your ignorance, saves me the trouble of proving it.

Fugu wrote:
so you're against people using their voices to petition against a rape apologist entering the country, a valid use of free speech and legal ability, while claiming to be pro-free speech yourself.

I'd explain this s l o w l y, but the technology doesn't support that yet, so try and read at a speed that doesn't outpace your ability to comprehend, it'll save time in the long run.

I'm against using the power of the state to sanction people for their opinions, not against simply speaking out against things; I'm speaking out against people trying to get the government to enforce their point of view, but am only directing social opprobrium at them, not legal force. If you don't understand the difference, there's not much I can do for you short of a brain transplant.
do tell how else people would express their opposition to an obviously horrible person entering the country if not via legal instrument? interpretive dance in the streets perhaps? I know, they can get on forums and whine about free speech and thoughtcrime!
Quote:
Fugu wrote:
do you know what doublethink is? because you seem to be practicing it.

Try mastering thinking before tackling concepts like doublethink, otherwise you'll keep making yourself look like an idiot.
insults. what fun, it's almost like you've no legs to stand on and have to resort to schoolground antics.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 8:32 pm

Fugu, you're like a guy who thinks the rooks move diagonally in chess and that he's got his opponent in check, while ignoring the fact that his own king died 3 turn ago; get back in your clown car and stop wasting my time.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 8:54 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Fugu, you're like a guy who thinks the rooks move diagonally in chess and that he's got his opponent in check, while ignoring the fact that his own king died 3 turn ago; get back in your clown car and stop wasting my time.
that's pretty rich coming from a guy who thinks that banning a touring public speaker is somehow thoughtcrime and yet isn't aware of how viral ideas can be.
for example here's an article(offtopic admittedly) on how two men were inspired to beat a homeless man to death after listening to Donald Trump about illegal aliens.

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/08/20/ ... c-man.html

speech doesn't exist in a vacuum, and though I applaud your defense of free speech, this is a really stupid hill to die on.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 9:40 pm

Dox is a very clever, witty and intelligent man and I have to say I agree with what he says about freedom of speech and the legal ruling for crying fire in a crowded theater. Dox is a wise sage and I think it would behoove us to listen to his counsel.

What one has to do is challenge Roosh's ideas and question him not ban him. Roosh is definitely a scumbag but to ask a gov't to ban him is against freedom of speech.

Dox is a man who understands the perils of limiting free speech as do I. To limit speech is to restrict thought and to restrict thought is to restrict growth and understanding that could make mankind better. By allowing a platform for Roosh, we can learn from Roosh and what not to do. In that way, we as mankind can eliminate or improve upon current ideas to help create a vigorous, intellectual, and freedom loving society.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 9:44 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
What one has to do is challenge Roosh's ideas and question him not ban him.

Do we really need a public forum to rehash rape. Challenge his ideas? It is not okay to rape women even if you're on private property. That's it. End of discussion. Are we going to hold a public forum to see if it's okay to beat up old men. Some things don't need to be debated.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 10:04 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
What one has to do is challenge Roosh's ideas and question him not ban him. Roosh is definitely a scumbag but to ask a gov't to ban him is against freedom of speech.
It is against the american implementation, true. However Canada's constitution differs from the US's version in that it's somewhat more restrictive, even though it doesn't look like the restrictions were exercised in this case

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 11:13 am

androbot01 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
What one has to do is challenge Roosh's ideas and question him not ban him.

Do we really need a public forum to rehash rape. Challenge his ideas? It is not okay to rape women even if you're on private property. That's it. End of discussion. Are we going to hold a public forum to see if it's okay to beat up old men. Some things don't need to be debated.

So, who decides what should be debated and what should not be and what would be the criteria used? How do they objectively decide on the criteria?

I don't think that government should be deciding what is discussed and debated and what is not discussed and debated?

On the other hand, one does not have the right to free speech when it comes to a private establishment or a private web site. The owner can set the policies and the rules and decide what is allowed and not allowed including cursing. If you want Roosh V out of Canada than encourage others to boycott the venues he's at. For example, if he is at a Hilton, than explain to others who Roosh V is and what he is all about citing sources from his material and encourage others to boycott Hilton if they host him.

Me, on the other hand I think the guy ought to be debated, shown exactly where his logic is off and in fact make him prove his claims with double blind studies and statistics. If you do not agree with this, can you explain why? Thank you!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 11:28 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
I don't think that government should be deciding what is discussed and debated and what is not discussed and debated?

It is dicey when the government gets involved rather than letting the public court decide such matters. But rape is against the law. So I can see why they might be interested. Again, if the debate were about, say, "should it be legal to cut of the penis of an adulterer?" Aren't we beyond debating things that are a priori.
Quote:
Me, on the other hand I think the guy ought to be debated, shown exactly where his logic is off and in fact make him prove his claims with double blind studies and statistics. If you do not agree with this, can you explain why? Thank you!

What logic??? It's not okay to rape. What's to debate?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm

androbot01 wrote:
But rape is against the law. So I can see why they might be interested.

Smoking pot is against the law in many places, many people think it shouldn't be; does that mean the government is allowed to quash that speech as well?

androbot01 wrote:
What logic??? It's not okay to rape. What's to debate?

If his argument is so easy to defeat, why do you need the state to suppress it for you? Do you think your fellow citizens are in any danger of being persuaded by these ideas?

More pointedly, if you support barring Roosh from the country, do you also support barring immigrants whos traditional cultures may hold and promote views that are similar to or even more reprehensible than those of Roosh? Say, Muslims from certain parts of the world?

I think Scott Alexander says it much better than me:

Quote:
I think the same is true of freedom of speech. Constitutional freedom-of-speech is a necessary but not sufficient condition to have a “marketplace of ideas” and avoid de facto censorship. But people also have to understand that the correct response to “idea I disagree with” is “counterargument”, not “find some way to punish or financially ruin the person who expresses it.” If you respond with counterargument, then there’s a debate and eventually the people with better ideas win (as is very clearly happening right now with gay marriage). If there’s a norm of trying to punish the people with opposing views, then it doesn’t really matter whether you’re doing it with threats of political oppression, of financial ruin, or of social ostracism, the end result is the same – the group with the most money and popularity wins, any disagreeing ideas never get expressed.

Under my system, the best ideas win, under your system, it's whoever can muster up the most outrage to silence those they disagree with; is that really what you want?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 12:05 pm

that's pretty rich coming from a guy who thinks that banning a touring public speaker is somehow thoughtcrime and yet isn't aware of how viral ideas can be. [/quote]

I'm pragmatic, the consequences of unrestricted speech are less bad than those of restricting speech based on sentiment, popularity, or morality, as can be easily seen by even a cursory study of history, or current events if one pays attention to the commonwealth countries.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 12:15 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Do you think your fellow citizens are in any danger of being persuaded by these ideas?

Yes, I do.

Quote:
More pointedly, if you support barring Roosh from the country, do you also support barring immigrants whos traditional cultures may hold and promote views that are similar to or even more reprehensible than those of Roosh? Say, Muslims from certain parts of the world?

Actually I would support such a ban. Unconditional cultural acceptance degrades the host.

Quote:
Under my system, the best ideas win, under your system, it's whoever can muster up the most outrage to silence those they disagree with; is that really what you want?

best ideas vs. blusterous outrage
hmmmm .... :roll:

I don't think anyone is going to listen to either of us regarding our systems. And I am at heart a pragmatist. So yes, some men will be influenced if they are told in a public forum that it is okay to rape a woman on private property. My faith is not as great as yours.

For your consideration:

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

These women poured their drinks onto Roosh V. What do you guys think about this?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 9:20 am

Unfortunate but not surprising.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 11:39 am

androbot01 wrote:
Unfortunate but not surprising.

Personally, I think it is wrong to assault people. On the other hand, I could understand why they would. They see Roosh V the exact same way I would see Jack Mcclellan.

https://www.google.com/#q=jack+mcclellan

I think we do need to try to keep to the rule of law as much as possible and not the rule of men thereby letting our emotions sway us.