Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2015, 11:37 am

I guess I definitely was born too early.

Omega 3 can delay and/or prevent first onset psychosis

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 12:57 am

that sucks!

i wish it could still help you

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 3:33 am

I always thought I'd develop full on schizophrenia, I have two grandparents with it. I've been eating canned tuna pretty consistently since mid high school so I guess I'm not in the clear yet, it could still onset any year. I feel for you man

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:10 pm

Useful information. Sorry it came too late.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 10:20 pm

I bet you they come out a study soon that shows there is no correlation. I've taken Omega-3 before (for an extended period) and I didn't notice any effects.

Be wary of online merchants who try to push products. Although Omega-3 is healthy I don't think there is proof that it prevents psychosis.

I'm coming to believe less and in less in a pure biological model when it comes to psychosis. I think early life experiences play a factor. This is also a theory that some forms of psychosis are flashbacks to earlier abuse/neglect/mistreatment/etc. I don't believe that psychosis is 100% genetic. In fact, I think it's proven that it is at least in part environmental.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 1:03 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
I bet you they come out a study soon that shows there is no correlation. I've taken Omega-3 before (for an extended period) and I didn't notice any effects.

Be wary of online merchants who try to push products. Although Omega-3 is healthy I don't think there is proof that it prevents psychosis.

I'm coming to believe less and in less in a pure biological model when it comes to psychosis. I think early life experiences play a factor. This is also a theory that some forms of psychosis are flashbacks to earlier abuse/neglect/mistreatment/etc. I don't believe that psychosis is 100% genetic. In fact, I think it's proven that it is at least in part environmental.

There are some psychiatrists, like Peter Breggin and David Healy, who have been bucking the trend that mental illness is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, and is purely environmental. Of course, then again there are neurological conditions like epilepsy that drugs may be necessary.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 1:21 am

Meistersinger wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:

There are some psychiatrists, like Peter Breggin and David Healy, who have been bucking the trend that mental illness is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, and is purely environmental. Of course, then again there are neurological conditions like epilepsy that drugs may be necessary.

I am unaware of any science that clearly delineates normative data for neurotransmitter levels in the brain. If I'm correct, how can their Profession claim that mental illness is a chemical imbalance when they have not determined norms?

Elephant in the room????

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 10:31 pm

slave wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:

I am unaware of any science that clearly delineates normative data for neurotransmitter levels in the brain. If I'm correct, how can their Profession claim that mental illness is a chemical imbalance when they have not determined norms?

Elephant in the room????

Mostly because the entire chemical imbalance in the brain theory was concocted by Big Pharma. This theory came about around the same time DSM-III-TR was published, which was about the same time the American Psychiatric Association dropped homosexuality from the DSM. That theory is partly true, but not for the reasons you think. I have an imbalance: I'm diabetic, ergo my body chemistry is totally screwed up. Ditto for those that have cancer, malfunctioning thyroid, kidney disease, etc.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 11:31 am

Meistersinger wrote:
slave wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:

Elephant in the room????

Mostly because the entire chemical imbalance in the brain theory was concocted by Big Pharma. This theory came about around the same time DSM-III-TR was published, which was about the same time the American Psychiatric Association dropped homosexuality from the DSM. That theory is partly true, but not for the reasons you think. I have an imbalance: I'm diabetic, ergo my body chemistry is totally screwed up. Ditto for those that have cancer, malfunctioning thyroid, kidney disease, etc.

I'm inclined to agree.
Sry to hear of your diabetes...that sucks.
All the best. :D