Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

BigTimeSynesthete
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2007, 11:14 pm

Hey. I joined Aspies for Freedom 8 months earlier, as aspie44.8, and decided to join here too. I'm 15 and in the 9th grade. I think I was diagnosed with AS when I was 4, because I see a psycologist every 3 years, last time was when I was 13. So, 13, 10, 7, 4, 1. 1 doesn't sound like a reasonable age to get diagnosed. so, 4. i love my new school, as it is small compared to other high schools, and not a single person there has called me names (well maybe a couple times, but even so, those people got over it after a few weeks).

Jr. high sucked though, because 90% of the kids despised me for my unusual obssesion for numbers. They also hated my cat obsession and my dress habits. Fortunatley, I figured out a way to makeover myself fashion-wise, by starting to shave, wore fancier T-shirts and skirts, got some fairly tight jeans and pants (but not too tight), and even sometimes wore make-up. So, i do now care a little about fashion, and even have a slight interset in it.

But I still love those numbers!! :D I see colors, textures, shapes, and personalities within them (this is an example of synasthesia). That's why I chose my username BigTimeSynesthete. Right now I'm reading Born On A Blue Day by Daniel Tammet. I just can't put down that book!

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 11:18 pm

Hey, welcome to WP BigTimeSynesthete!

I'm SamuraiSaxen, th WP samurai. Nice to meet you.

See ya

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 11:20 pm

Welcome,

It sounds like you like you, having an obsession with numbers is great. It beats stamp collecting.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 11:26 pm

Welcome, must be cool to see such wonderful things in numbers.

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 6:02 am

Hi, welcome from another new member!

I also read and enjoyed Daniel Tammet's book and found it quite revealing. It must be great to experience synathesia.

My only complaint with his book centres on his thoughts of pi. Although I appreciate that through his synathesia he experiences a profound connection to the decimal expansion of this number, I think he is mistaken why this is the case and furthermore, I think things like this trivialise real mathematics and make people think that maths is just about sitting around and performing huge calculations and staring at numbers.

The first thing to note is that not only are the decimal digits of pi not particularly special (after all, they are only the consequence of a base ten representation; I wonder for instance if Tammet would get such a positive synaesthetic response to the octal or hexidecimal representations, for example) but they are also far from unique in that one may find any positive string of digits from the decimal representation of pi in ANY irrational number; this is an uncountably infinite set of real numbers. Conversely, one also may find ANY finite sequence of decimal digits in the decimal expansion of pi at some point. So if Tammet liked the particular string of digits he memorised; he can find them in any one of a very large infinite class of numbers.

Making out that is the actual decimal DIGITS of pi that make it so profound is tantamount to appealing to numerology and negates the fact that many of its properties are well understood and that what is really interesting and aesthetically pleasing are some of the more fundamental identities and relationships, for instance the relationship between the impossibility of squaring the circle and the transcendence of pi.

I imagine that Tammets connection to the number and emotional upset at seeing digits replaced in a test are twofold; his synaesthetic connection with the number is just another instance of his positive reaction to any other arbitrary numbers that he enjoys experiencing and also the fact that by memorising so many digits, which is a stressful event, he formed an emotional attachment.

anyway, /rant :)

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 10:40 pm

Welcome to WP,remember to psot,never post and please join the church of mainstream-culture haters so we can END bigotry,paris hilton,britney spears,rap music and of course MTV!! !! !

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 4:25 am

CHIRP!

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 11:39 am

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

BigTimeSynesthete

05 Apr 2007, 8:21 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

Weren't you Jason Larsen at Aspies for Freedom?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 8:58 pm

Oh, my gosh!

Please do not get me started on that, please!

BigTimeSynesthete

05 Apr 2007, 9:54 pm

oops sorry :(