who here is left-handed or right-handed or ambidextrous?

Page 5 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

left-handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous?
I'm a leftie :alien: 17%  17%  [ 12 ]
I'm a rightie :arrow: 54%  54%  [ 39 ]
I'm somewhere in between/ambi :star: 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
I wanna nice yummy ice cream! :chef: 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 72

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 9:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
Most people don't notice I'm left-handed unless they see me write or draw for the first the time. Then they act as if it's a miracle I can actually do those things. Yeah ink and pencil that smear really don't help. I managed to find a couple of pens that are good for lefties that didn't cost a fortune, and they're pretty good.

I have found that leftie people who write with the top of their pen or pencil pointed towards their left shoulder, smudge a lot less.

That's such an un-ergonomic position though. I'll let the paper smudge and save myself the carpal tunnel syndrome.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 9:52 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
Most people don't notice I'm left-handed unless they see me write or draw for the first the time. Then they act as if it's a miracle I can actually do those things. Yeah ink and pencil that smear really don't help. I managed to find a couple of pens that are good for lefties that didn't cost a fortune, and they're pretty good.

I have found that leftie people who write with the top of their pen or pencil pointed towards their left shoulder, smudge a lot less.

That's such an un-ergonomic position though. I'll let the paper smudge and save myself the carpal tunnel syndrome.

gosh :o I had no idea it would cause carpal tunnel. I'm glad I don't have to physically write too often.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 4:15 am

I wonder if many years ago it used to be called "right and wrong handed"?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 4:18 am

babybird wrote:
I wonder if many years ago it used to be called "right and wrong handed"?

you are on the right etymological track, in latin they say lefties are "sinister."

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 9:55 am

I selected right handed, but I broke some bone in my right elbow when I was five and had to use my left hand for awhile. As a result, I am artificially slightly ambidextrous. My autistic husband and autistic little brother are both left handed and my neurotypical son is left handed as well. I'm used to placing utensils and cups on a different side of the plate for them than for myself.

When I was in kindergarten, they used to pair us up during coloring book time. I would purposefully try to team up with this little boy who was left handed so that I could color the right page and he could color the left and our hands wouldn't bump.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Aug 2015, 3:28 pm

I'm righthanded

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 4:06 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I selected right handed, but I broke some bone in my right elbow when I was five and had to use my left hand for awhile. As a result, I am artificially slightly ambidextrous. My autistic husband and autistic little brother are both left handed and my neurotypical son is left handed as well. I'm used to placing utensils and cups on a different side of the plate for them than for myself. When I was in kindergarten, they used to pair us up during coloring book time. I would purposefully try to team up with this little boy who was left handed so that I could color the right page and he could color the left and our hands wouldn't bump.

that was clever of the teachers to pair you two up like that :star:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 6:46 pm

I'm a lefty.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 6:48 pm

^^^
YAY :hail:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 6:17 pm

It's a strange thing, but my left-handed mother always keeps the mouse on the right side of her keyboard. If I use the computer while visiting my parents I always move it to the left side because I always use my left hand to operate the mouse for my own computer. But afterwards she always moves it back to the right side.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 6:24 pm

I'm nominally a leftie but I use my mouse right-handed. :alien: part of the reason for that is because I'm a better left-handed typist, so I save my left hand for typing when I fill out online forms, but my right hand can stay on the mouse, as I hate continually having to move my hands back and forth from the mouse to the keyboard and back, in filling out forms.

Ben_Is_My_Only_God
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2015, 7:02 pm

As a kid I used to swap hands to draw and write with until one particular primary school teacher insisted that as I could use my right hand I should only use my right hand. I was never any good at sports or playing musical instruments 'cos no matter which way I hold bats, racquets, guitars etc. it always feels as though I'm holding them in the wrong hands. Until recently I used my PC mouse in my right hand, I also wrote and drew with it too, but I began suffering from RSI, so I swapped hands and now I used my left hand for my mouse and for drawing. I hardly ever write any more but when I last tried my writing with my right hand had deteriorated to virtual the same lack of use level as my left hand.

345 is a nice number on which to end.

Bimog And The Search For Pangea

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 7:06 pm

a benefit of ambidexterity is being able to give the other side a rest when needed.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 1:31 am

<-- Left-handed
It's very useful on the computer, cause I can eat and drink comfortably while holding the mouse.
I used to try shake hands with my left hand as a kid. :wink:

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2015, 1:34 am

I'm right handed, being ambidexterus would be cool though. I'd say I have good use of my left hand though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 1:39 am

AsahiPto17 wrote:
I'm right handed, being ambidexterus would be cool though. I'd say I have good use of my left hand though.

what tasks can you not do with your left hand? this leftie has a hard time brushing his teeth with his right hand, he had to learn how when his left arm got mangled in a severe bike accident similar to the one that messed up the rock singer Bono.