Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2015, 10:14 am

For me I use it as a way to socialize without having to see a person face-to-face. It's also an effective way to keep me from being restless and destructing property in ways to find a way to keep myself busy.

Crazyshy42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm

Well, it's my biggest hobby and also one of my special interests. I got hooked on video games when I was a little kid, probably because while school really sucked (bullies, school work, no friends) I always had my old Nintendo consoles at home to look forward to and de-stress myself. It was kind of like my own personal world, really, and this still applies to today. I never grew out of video games, and I'm still an avid gamer who probably never will grow out of them. :P

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 7:20 pm

I play video games because they're fun. I've been playing video games since I was five years old or something like that. I'm 22 and still love and enjoy them. I own a huge variety of games and I enjoy all them because they make me happy.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 7:38 pm

Originally for its sense of freedoms but now I might call it just a habit or that I feel like it's an obligation. Fortunately, auto-clickers exist now, and if I can just programme the macros correctly & accurately, I could just automate significant amounts of upkeep-time for doing dailies so that I can free up more of my time from all that typing/clicking/etc. I swear that games these days feel more like a job (but that may be due to the amount of real-world responsibilities for which I am the only one in this entire house-hold who even qualifies to do most of these office-related errands). I much preferred a simplier life without any social-obligations.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 7:52 pm

Because in video games I'm not the weakest.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2015, 11:41 am

Stimulation and escapism, mostly. They give me a peaceful place to retreat to or an interesting challenge, depending on what I'm playing or what kind of a mood I'm in. Challenges that require some thinking or practice are immensely fulfilling to finally get right. Sometimes I replay childhood favorites because they're more atmospheric games without a lot of dialogue or hassle.

There's the social element, too. I play in a small FFXIV guild with an online friend and some of their friends, where we help each other with content. I go on Vent to listen, but don't talk when it's crowded. They're a fun bunch... just very quiet sometimes. One of our members is shy and another one doesn't even talk in chat. His wife asks questions for him.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 11:43 am

Because my family makes me. :roll:

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 11:43 am

Aspie202 wrote:
Because my family makes me. :roll:

And I mean like board games.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 10:37 am

I play video games because it's one of the few things I can do and enjoy by myself.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 10:20 pm

Sometimes for coordination.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 12:41 am

Because I can, because I enjoy them and want to, and because they give me a challenge and force me to actually think. They take the place of what would, for most people, be just watching TV. I dont really watch any of that, because it's just... so mindless. No interaction, no need to think or react.

Besides.... I'd have nothing else to do otherwise, really. I've nothing but free time.

They also help me be coordinated and fast.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 12:48 am

Because it's fun, entertaining or a good way to pass time when I am bored.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 7:04 am

Becouse i have nothing better to do really...

sometimes i start a game specifically to vent or to escape reality for a while, but just spending time is the primary reason.

this is also why i have so many games installed at any one time, of similar genres: things get boring after a while, but still want to 'finish' the game, so i alternate...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 7:27 am

Because they're fun, and they're much more interactive than reading a book or watching a movie. Usually, anyway =)

Idunno, though. I've been playing them since I was in diapers, so I never knew a time without them, as lame as that sounds.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 2:09 pm

Because it's more fun than real life. Yeah, I'm a loser. :P

I can be all kinds of things I can only dream about being in real life. Like a hero, a doctor, a police officer, a rock star, a fantasy creature, a talking animal, an on and on.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 4:12 pm

Many reasons, I don't want to repeat too many things that have already been said.

I like to dissect games/organize aspects of the game/learn/obsess/master:
I cheat for the sake of cheating, because I can. It's fascinating what you can do with some cheats. You can even find cheat-induced glitches. But I know not to keep the effect of cheats in my actual gameplay because it will destroy all the fun the game itself provides.
Or you can cheat at flash games to skip the BS and get to the goodies, I once tried to write a flash player controller program for games that have the click menu disabled... feels great to outsmart game creators. :)
I sometimes like to be a master at a game (partially or completely), the more I know about it the better. It can turn into a special interest and I will read stuff about it until I burn out and stop caring. Getting into the flow state from playing a game like a master is awesome too.

One game I used to obsess about was "Hotel Dusk", I played it through countless times.
It's basically a novel where you have to walk around and progress in the story.
I memorized the story, character dialogue, internalized the characters' personalities, made a free website about it in an online chat for kids back in the day, played it through in three different languages, tried all kinds of different possibilities with the puzzles and got different endings, noticed differences in the gameplay each time, clicked on everything, thought about it all the time, learned some "socializing" that way (lol), read walkthroughs even though I had completed the game probably more times than anyone else on the planet, listened to the music on the Internet for hours, etc...

But sometimes I just want to play a game for kicks. :P
At the moment I don't play games at all. Don't feel like it.