Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 3:35 pm

Hi, i sometimes, not all the time, find it really hard to control body parts. Especially my hands for example, i have to perform movements and stuff, usually before i have to do something that is at all repetitive, like cleaning my teeth or something. I don't think its stimming. Or i have to make jaw movements, or various other body parts, more so when i am tired, which is a lot of the time. Most of the time i can hide it but sometimes i really cant. Just wondered what anyone's thoughts are.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 5:06 pm

It's stimming. Comes with the territory. I twitch continuously, though I don't believe it's exaggerated.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:04 am

glebel wrote:
It's stimming. Comes with the territory. I twitch continuously, though I don't believe it's exaggerated.

Is it stimming, its hard to tell sometimes, you may be right. Definitely more so when i am tired though. I sort of convinced myself it wasn't stimming somehow.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 4:34 pm

Although I'm obviously a medical professional, and can't diagnose you, I think (from the way you describe it) this may be a tic. Do you have any medical history concerning this?

This isn't stimming, either--stimming is voluntary. Some people describe tics as "having the need to sneeze", because the need to do it is so strong it becomes physical. I, myself, have many transient tics.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 3:21 am

Xenization wrote:
Although I'm obviously a medical professional, and can't diagnose you, I think (from the way you describe it) this may be a tic. Do you have any medical history concerning this?

This isn't stimming, either--stimming is voluntary. Some people describe tics as "having the need to sneeze", because the need to do it is so strong it becomes physical. I, myself, have many transient tics.

Yes i have the feeling it could be many many tics, i can sort of control it if i try, its just an overwhelming need, and takes to much effort to stop. I occurred that its most prevalent when i have to do any kind of repetitive or autopilot action. Like, drinking, or cleaning my teeth. When i know i have go do something, however minor, i think my mind or body try to avoid the 'stillness' that comes from giving yourself up to perform and a task on autopilot. Not sure if that makes sense how i just described it.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 3:23 am

Also i dont have medical history concerning this, but i have avoided doctor where i can through a lot of my childhood.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 8:09 am

InsomniaGrl wrote:
Yes i have the feeling it could be many many tics, i can sort of control it if i try, its just an overwhelming need, and takes to much effort to stop. I occurred that its most prevalent when i have to do any kind of repetitive or autopilot action. Like, drinking, or cleaning my teeth. When i know i have go do something, however minor, i think my mind or body try to avoid the 'stillness' that comes from giving yourself up to perform and a task on autopilot. Not sure if that makes sense how i just described it.

Anyhow, as I said before, you should go see a doctor about this. I'd be just as curious to know what it is as you are (only if you want to share).

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 12:35 pm

Xenization wrote:
InsomniaGrl wrote:

Anyhow, as I said before, you should go see a doctor about this. I'd be just as curious to know what it is as you are (only if you want to share).

Yes i shall mention to my doctor, but i dont have a lot of faith in doing this. I think also it might relate to obsessive thoughts, like i say certain phrases repeatedly in my head, to the point where the meaning, loses any meaning, and becomes a sort of pointless gesture, and is a bit like a tic i suppose. Both things combined i do it about 5000 times a day without exagerating. No wonder i am so tired, even without insomnia.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 1:14 pm

InsomniaGrl wrote:
Yes i shall mention to my doctor, but i dont have a lot of faith in doing this. I think also it might relate to obsessive thoughts, like i say certain phrases repeatedly in my head, to the point where the meaning, loses any meaning, and becomes a sort of pointless gesture, and is a bit like a tic i suppose. Both things combined i do it about 5000 times a day without exagerating. No wonder i am so tired, even without insomnia.

I was going to say that this could be form of OCD, so there's another reason to talk to a doctor. :?

I'm sorry you're so tired.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 2:10 pm

Thanks, I shall try to talk to a doctor.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 6:32 pm

InsomniaGrl wrote:

Happy I could help. If you're comfortable with it, maybe you could post the conclusion you and your doctor came to.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 3:23 am

Xenization wrote:
InsomniaGrl wrote:

Happy I could help. If you're comfortable with it, maybe you could post the conclusion you and your doctor came to.

I shall do here, if there is any kind of conclusion :)