Man murdered targeted because he was autistic police believe

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

The car thieves who have been arrested thought his autism made him an easy target

Suspects in Vista Cove killing targeted autistic man

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 9:35 pm

The car thieves are a couple of cowards who can't accept human diversity.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 10:48 pm

They deserve the death penalty.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 10:25 am

Well, the thugs are obviously disadvantaged youths, and the murdered guy undoubtly had it coming, so they'll get a slap on the wrist sentence and get a nice, fat welfare payout.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 12:15 pm

So they killed more than one person and stole more than one car if I read that right. Are they sure they went after the guy because he is autistic or if they went after him because they wanted his car so it's not like they specifically targeted him because he was autistic. He was just there at the wrong time. Just one of the things about the media that bugs me. But I know they do it to get more attention and it causes more dramatic responses. But my thoughts don't change, just three people doing car jacking and killing people because they want their vehicle and autism changes nothing. Just that one of the victims happened to be autistic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 12:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
So they killed more than one person and stole more than one car if I read that right. Are they sure they went after the guy because he is autistic or if they went after him because they wanted his car so it's not like they specifically targeted him because he was autistic. He was just there at the wrong time. Just one of the things about the media that bugs me. But I know they do it to get more attention and it causes more dramatic responses. But my thoughts don't change, just three people doing car jacking and killing people because they want their vehicle and autism changes nothing. Just that one of the victims happened to be autistic.

You would have to ask the sheriff. It is his theory. But from what I understood. The victim was well known in the community as autistic. The car thieves targeted him not because they hate autistics, but they knew he was autistic and believed he would be an easy target because of his autism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 2:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

You would have to ask the sheriff. It is his theory. But from what I understood. The victim was well known in the community as autistic. The car thieves targeted him not because they hate autistics, but they knew he was autistic and believed he would be an easy target because of his autism.

I didn't read that they knew him, sorry. I just saw it as them being in the parking lot and they saw him and followed him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 10:49 pm

If Carl Starke was such an easy target (as alleged) then why did they need to kill him? Motive for carjacking is self evident but motive for murder is a little unclear?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 4:23 pm

Stories like this make me realize that could have been any one of us murdered, as people assume our autism makes us "soft targets."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 10:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Stories like this make me realize that could have been any one of us murdered, as people assume our autism makes us "soft targets."

One of the reasons I posted the story. Also we have routines making it easier for anybody wanting to rob us.

Still a lot of questions such as why a car robbery turned into murder, and why claim the robbers who were not from Lake Vista knew he was autistic?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 10:45 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

One of the reasons I posted the story. Also we have routines making it easier for anybody wanting to rob us.

Still a lot of questions such as why a car robbery turned into murder, and why claim the robbers who were not from Lake Vista knew he was autistic?

They may not have been residents, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they had visited in the past, or had known a resident, and thereby gained their information.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 11:08 pm

...They were from another town , however , the story focuses on that , in fact .
Would they have known he was AS (Adept enough to drive a car , BTW !...) just by following ? ~ Obviously , it seems , they were the usual teenage as*holes . OD'ing on Testosterone , etc.........
Why , BTW , as of the point the story was written , would the local law have not charged the third one cited ?
Are they looking to get him to roll on the other two , to guarantee a conviction ???
(Okay , re-reading it it looks like , at least , the third may have been just someone they were out with , may not've known , even , about the robbery & murder , let alone been involved ~ I bet , then , even more , then , the po-pos would be trying to get him to testify against the other two :twisted: ! !! !! !! !! !! " C'mon , you know they said something ~ Where did they say they got that car , anyway ? ")

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 4:26 am

This is just horrible.

RIP.

Hope the killers don't suffer too little.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 8:58 pm

Nowhere within this article does it specifically say he was a 'soft target' because he was autistic. The crime took place on a Tuesday night, so he may have seemed to the criminals to be an easy target because he was the only one there at the time, because he was alone and they outnumbered him. The sheriff David Shoar may have meant that, being autistic, his behaviour may have made it easier for the thieves to target him, but to say that he was targeted because he was autistic, and for no other reason, is stretching things here.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm

Lintar wrote:
Nowhere within this article does it specifically say he was a 'soft target' because he was autistic. The crime took place on a Tuesday night, so he may have seemed to the criminals to be an easy target because he was the only one there at the time, because he was alone and they outnumbered him. The sheriff David Shoar may have meant that, being autistic, his behaviour may have made it easier for the thieves to target him, but to say that he was targeted because he was autistic, and for no other reason, is stretching things here.

Quote:
His autism was a gift to his family, Durden said.

“He was very special to us, and we never treated him any differently,” she said. “It’s what made him our Carl.”

But that gift made him a target, according to St. Johns County Sheriff David Shoar

The gift was autism and the gift made him a target. Pretty clear to me. If the sheriff meant something else or the reporter screwed up in someway how the hell am I supposed to know? I just wrote what was written.