24 Aug 2015, 2:34 pm

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 4:16 pm

Steve Silberman has gotten more of the nuerodiversity/Autism acceptance message into the mainstream media in the last few weeks then ASAN and other advocacy groups combined. Unlike Autism Speaks who only listen to fear and money Silberman listened to Autistics.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 8:45 pm

Great article! I'm posting it to my FB page.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 12:39 am

Autism Speaks reaction

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. They did not refute one thing Silberman said, all they did is combine every PR statement from the last few years.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 3:57 am

I like this older article too:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillin ... ak-for-me/

Just the name "autism speaks" is itself intrinsically manipulative. It would more accurately be "Suzanne Wright Speaks - and it's all about her, as it is with most malignant narcissists".

It seems to me that she loves to be the centre of attention and that autism is primarily meaningful to her as a vehicle for her narcissistic needs. You often find these extremely malignant kind of narcissists posing as great benefactors and they craft their false images with enormous care to suck people in. Her espoused mission of "rescuing families from the curse of autism" is a lie on every level, she lies about the families, about autism, and about her real purpose. You can't be much more of a liar and manipulator than that. She could be the poster child for malignant personality disorder.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 8:03 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autism Speaks reaction

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. They did not refute one thing Silberman said, all they did is combine every PR statement from the last few years.

Quote:
Without unity there is no voice. That does not mean that we cannot have a diversity of ideas and voices within the community, all of which are valid and need equal respect.

I don't understand why they are pushing themselves as the only voice for autism.
Quote:
And those who dream of being parents one day deserve to know their children will have the best opportunity to thrive in society without the challenges that are created by autism spectrum disorder.

Yup, they won't even be born, so no worries there.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2015, 4:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autism Speaks reaction

A good reaction to their reaction [link], IMO.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2015, 5:39 pm

gamerdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autism Speaks reaction

Agreed. Thanks for sharing.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 7:01 pm

ASPickle wrote:
gamerdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autism Speaks reaction

Agreed. Thanks for sharing.

+1

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

I came across this piece today that exactly expresses my own view on what motivated Suzanne Wright. It applies to (some) grandparents as well as parents, and this exaggerated sense of entitlement is a cardinal aspect of intrinsically narcissistic personalities like Wright.

"And yet a third factor is the belief of many autism parents that they are entitled to a ‘normal’ child, and that it’s a huge affront, a violation of their ‘rights’, almost a crime in fact, for them to have one that isn’t. This is not an inference by the way, many of them outright say so, in very forthright terms that go way beyond ‘grieving’ into ‘grievance’. Their concern seems to be not for the child’s welfare, but for themselves. It’s as if they have this expectation of what their kid should be, how their child should reflect well on them, boost their social standing – so if their kid looks unlikely to ever be a cheerleader or football star, be ‘popular’, go to a prestigious (or any) university, bring home trophies, etc, etc, in short, if they have a kid they can’t show off, this is a ‘sin’ in their eyes. How this ‘I have a right to a normal child’ belief evolved, I’m really not sure, but those who hold this view consider themselves not only entitled to such a child, but entitled to do anything at all that will change their ‘deficient’ or ‘abnormal’ child into the one they believe they should have had from the beginning. They swing into action, blasting the child with every weapon at their command, and blasting too anyone who might have a different view of autism. They seem to hate autism because it disrupted the life they believe they are entitled to."

Source: StrangerInGodzone blogspot

alex
Developer
Developer

03 Sep 2015, 8:43 pm

Everyone should read his book. It's excellent and is now on the New York Times best seller list. He also writes about wrong planet in the book

http://www.amazon.com/NeuroTribes-Legac ... op?ie=UTF8

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm

I'm really looking forward to reading it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 9:17 pm

A long excerpt can be accessed and read for free here, on the publisher's website. Gosh it's good..

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books ... ver-sacks/

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 9:24 pm

gamerdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autism Speaks reaction

Very powerful and insightful. Thank you for the link.