DIA Blocks Chick-Fil-A restaurant because of bigotry

Page 1 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 9:30 pm

Denver Says ‘No’ To Allowing Chick-Fil-A In Airport Due To Company’s Bigoted History

Quote:
The Denver City Council has blocked–at least temporarily–the addition of a Chick-Fil-A restaurant at Denver International Airport because of the company’s well-known stance on the issue of same-sex marriage and LGBT equality.

Councilman Paul Lopez called opposition to the chain being allowed to operate at the airport:

“Truly a moral issue.”

Robin Kniech, the council’s first openly gay member, said she was extremely worried about a local franchise earning:

“Corporate profits used to fund and fuel discrimination.”

At last Tuesday’s city council meeting, not a single one of the 13 members serving would defend Chick-Fil-A. The proposal to allow the restaurant into Denver International will be heard again at September 1 council meeting.

In addition to Chick-Fil-A’s stance on LGBT rights, they also put Bible quotes on their cups and are closed on Sundays. The airport, as you might expect, is open on Sundays and all other days.

Personally I think this is great.

But I'd think it was great strictly because I'd rather go to a Bojangles, or failing that, a Popeyes.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 12:31 am

Viewpoint based discrimination seldom works out well for government agencies.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 12:35 am

I predict a win for bigotry here. Denver City Council is going to get slapped with a discrimination suit and bend over.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Aug 2015, 9:30 am

Do not give a crap what the religious views of some chicken sandwich vender are, this is ridiculous discrimination against the religious views of someone. If they're not discriminating in their hiring, in their service, and so this is what? If this is okay then how is not okay for weirdos to oppose Muslim or Jewish owned businesses? You can probably guess where I am going with this. Gay rights have been won but not the battle against intolerance and it seems like we're becoming a less and less tolerant society with modern day stockades and witchburning. People like to think that we've evolved, that society has progressed, in some ways it has but not in others.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 9:52 am

Yes yes, our intolerance of your intolerance is so very oppressive.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Aug 2015, 10:39 am

blauSamstag wrote:

The whole point of freedom of speech, religion, expression isn't just to protect the popular. I do not support thought policing.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 11:25 am

Chick-fil-a is also closed on sunday, while international airports are necessarily open 24/7.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 11:50 am

blauSamstag wrote:

I would have gone with 'hypocritical', but oppressive also works.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 1:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

I would have gone with 'hypocritical', but oppressive also works.

Nobody says you don't get to believe stuff.

Just that your right to believe does not extend to limiting the rights of others.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 4:04 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

Just that your right to believe does not extend to limiting the rights of others.

Did you miss the part where I'm not the one trying to deny a business opportunity to a company because the CEO holds religious views that some disagree with?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 4:14 pm

Dox47 wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Did you miss the part where I'm not the one trying to deny a business opportunity to a company because the CEO holds religious views that some disagree with?

It's not the holding of belief but attempting to legislate that others should not have rights.

That and wanting to deny coverage for some kinds of medical care because they themselves disagree with it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 4:24 pm

People also have the right to refuse a business.A few years back Malwart tried to open a store in a city in CO,Aspen I think.Aspen said it didn't fit with their image.This has been years ago so I hope I have my info right.
Personally I dislike most fast food places.I do agree that Popeyes has the only food that's worth eating.
A word of advice,the Diablo burger from Hardee's or Carl's jr is just plain nasty.
What they need there is a place that sells ganja edibles,that's what I'd want if I had to get on a plane. :D

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 6:23 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Do not give a crap what the religious views of some chicken sandwich vender are, this is ridiculous discrimination against the religious views of someone. If they're not discriminating in their hiring, in their service, and so this is what? If this is okay then how is not okay for weirdos to oppose Muslim or Jewish owned businesses? You can probably guess where I am going with this. Gay rights have been won but not the battle against intolerance and it seems like we're becoming a less and less tolerant society with modern day stockades and witchburning. People like to think that we've evolved, that society has progressed, in some ways it has but not in others.

Last I heard they do discriminate, also its not religious discrimination, the reason for them not being able to operate at the airport isn't because they are 'christian' its because they are openly bigoted.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 6:25 pm

Jacoby wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

The whole point of freedom of speech, religion, expression isn't just to protect the popular. I do not support thought policing.

Who said anything about thought policing chick fil-a can think whatever it wants, they simply aren't welcome in the airport....there are plenty of other places they can operate.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 8:01 pm

I don't eat at Chik-Fil-A because their food is N-A-S-T-Y.

In any case, the government meddling in business based on moral beliefs is a tad troubling, however.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 8:09 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I don't eat at Chik-Fil-A because their food is N-A-S-T-Y.

In any case, the government meddling in business based on moral beliefs is a tad troubling, however.

*shrug* it appears that since the city & county of Denver owns the airport, perhaps they can decline a lease to whomever they choose?

It's not a though the city is compelling a private entity to deny a lease to an objectionable business.

Second best airport food i ever had was at the Bojangles in the Charlotte NC airport, or maybe the Popeye's in the SLC airport.

Best was probably the pizzaria that was in between terminals in san diego. Those bastards got me coming and going. Smelled so damn good.

Chick-Fil-A is just a wad of neutral protein with some breading and salt and grease, and some sugary sauce. sometimes on a bun.