Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 11:18 am

Grebels wrote:
Why have a military presence when spies are so effective. I wonder how many nations have spies in the US. In fact how many nations know there way around the Pentagon computers considering our John Mckinnon walked right in with commercially available software and had to anounce himself before getting caught. Its surely a lot more frightening than a small military presence.

Money, we pay for bases. Troops spend money off base. We also support the current landlord.

When the Philippines objected, we left. Their objection was give us more money.

Vietnam jumped in with an offer of Cam Ran Bay. An unused Soviet base.

The Baltic States claim to be facing Russian invasion, and demand 10,000 troops to be stationed in each country, along with leases for bases, airfields, which will be surrounded by bars and strip clubs.

On our side, each base has a General, and promotion calls for empty slots. The more bases, the more Generals.

When a General gets his stars, a whole chain below gets promoted.

The Soviets left many bases in the now free countries, who have no use for them. Defending Slovakia from Czech Tourists?

One reason for bases is to keep countries from being overthrown by unapproved parties.

Some bases are penal postings. Korea is known for the worst food and living conditions.

The love of money is the root of all evil. WWII was such good business, The Korean War, Vietnam, wars without reason, kept the money machine rolling. The Cold War maintained full employment when most officers should have been retired.

Since the end of the Cold War, the dissolving of the Soviet Union, US military spending has gone up. The "Peace Dividend", was spent on starting new wars.

Congress funds military spending, and the location of production contracts in their district. Often Congress has an ownership interest in the production. They fund it, and decide what a fair profit is.

Only Congress has been excluded from the Insider Trading Laws. If they are going to give a big contract, nothing stops them from buying stock in the company. Most people are well to do when they enter Congress, and filthy rich when they leave.

War is not just good business, it is a sure thing.

None of the people anywhere on earth have any say so about the actions of their ruling overlords.

Americans do not like illegals, they are ignored.

Europeans do not like multi cultural invasion, but they can only vote for local officials, who then ignore them.

Public opinion has nothing to do with how the world is run.

Trump is such a danger, because he would follow the wishes of those who elected him.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 1:43 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Raptor wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Raptor wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I am watching an episode of Ancient Aliens, Season 5 and a now abandoned American air force base in Great Britain was mentioned because someone saw a ufo there once. I started wondering about how the Brits must have felt about having it there when it was open. I imagined they didn't care for it much. Then I started thinking about how if there's even a hint of any foreign military presence in the US, the locals go off the deep end and start coming up with all these far fetched conspiracy theories and won't ever let it rest.

Most of them in the UK and Germany were built and staffed during the cold war and several have been closed since. How the locals felt about it depended on how each individual felt about having Americans there as opposed to Russians.

Quote:
I thought what a double standard!
Why is it US citizens are so paranoid of any foreign military bases over here while we have them in other places, without thinking it would freak foreign locals out?

There aren't that many over here and I don't think most people are bothered by those that are.

Oh yes they are! There's conspiracy theories over anything military and on our soil.

You're saying most people are bothered by them?

Jade Helm 15????

There's a faction of people who are always deeply disturbed by anything going on in the military if it occurs on US soil. If suddenly French, English and German military bases were opened here, conspiracists would run rampant about how the New World Order is ganging up to squash their rights and strip the US of sovereignty. You of all people are surely aware of them!

A "faction" is hardly a majority which is what I meant (and you know it) when I said that most people arent bothered by by foreign military in the US.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 10:32 am

My ex was stationed in Baumholder,Germany and he never mentioned the locals complaining about the base being there.Maybe because the soldiers spent a lot of their American dollars off base.Maybe people don't like Americans but they sure like the $$$$$.
As for foreign bases here,why would we need them?We don't need help beating anyone off if they invade our soil.We proved that in WW 2.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 9:40 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
Americans would be paranoid, and rightly so, of foreign military presence because, well, most don't share our vision of the world order we want to create. Others want a second polarity to counter the existence of US power. Others want a multi-polar world where power is leveled equally between all countries. Others want a region to exert dominance over the world. and some just want anarchy, because only in that environment will they thrive.

Basic human rights, like the right to not have your life taken, or to express your opinions freely without fear of death, would cease to exist in most of those options, including the multi-polar world because that's a fantasy we can't create.

France, Great Britain, and Germany are all pretty much on the same page as the US so having any of their military in our country wouldn't be a threat but Americans would still not feel comfortable and definitely would not rest until they went back to Europe.

Well fine, but they can't afford it. It costs us 8 billion dollars a year just to maintain a base and house like 40,000 troops in Germany. I don't think a Germany who not only has slashed its military budget severely but doesn't have extra money to throw around at an American base, would be reluctant to splurge on such a project.

You open up a military base where you hope to exert your influence. We Americans don't really have an issue taking care of disputes in our hemisphere. The other reason it would be awkward is because we don't really share an intimate relationship with any of those countries beyond tourism and nato, etc. France left NATO due to its anti-American view. Germany shares little with us on how to approach the world. But at the core of it all, we don't share the same values or goals.

Americans wouldn't feel uncomfortable with Israel opening up a military base here. I think Texas would probably make the highest bid to build that base in their state. The UK would be a tad unnerving, however not that much because not only of our shared history and narrative, but also because of an American romance with all things English. So I don't really think that's true in all cases, but even where it is, there's good reason to be suspicious of why weaker powers would need to deploy their military in our sphere of influence.

France rejoined NATO in 1995, IIRC.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 11:43 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Americans would be paranoid, and rightly so, of foreign military presence because, well, most don't share our vision of the world order we want to create. Others want a second polarity to counter the existence of US power. Others want a multi-polar world where power is leveled equally between all countries. Others want a region to exert dominance over the world. and some just want anarchy, because only in that environment will they thrive.

Basic human rights, like the right to not have your life taken, or to express your opinions freely without fear of death, would cease to exist in most of those options, including the multi-polar world because that's a fantasy we can't create.

The multi-polar world you speak of isn't a fantasy; it actually did exist from at least the 17th until well into the 20th century, when nations like Germany, Britain, France, Japan and the Soviet Union were much stronger than they are today, and didn't take orders from Washington.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 11:51 pm

Misslizard wrote:
My ex was stationed in Baumholder,Germany and he never mentioned the locals complaining about the base being there.Maybe because the soldiers spent a lot of their American dollars off base.Maybe people don't like Americans but they sure like the $$$$$.
As for foreign bases here,why would we need them?We don't need help beating anyone off if they invade our soil.We proved that in WW 2.

No one 'invaded your soil' during World War Two; it was kept at arms length from your country by those two, massive oceans that straddle it. By the way, most of the fighting against the European Axis powers was undertaken by the U.S.S.R., without which the French, British and everyone else that Hitler had his eyes on could never have claimed victory, and the citizens of which would now be speaking German (or dead, if they were somehow 'undesirable' to have around).

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 5:41 am

Quote:
The UK would be a tad unnerving, however not that much because not only of our shared history and narrative, but also because of an American romance with all things English.

The romance may not work both ways. Don't you get the feeling that Britain is backing off from the wonderful special relationship. Remember when Gordon Brown refused to shake hands with your President. Getting involved with Iraq left a divide. So now we have Dave getting very pally with China and Obama saying how much the US still wants that special relationship.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:19 am

Lintar wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

No one 'invaded your soil' during World War Two; it was kept at arms length from your country by those two, massive oceans that straddle it. By the way, most of the fighting against the European Axis powers was undertaken by the U.S.S.R., without which the French, British and everyone else that Hitler had his eyes on could never have claimed victory, and the citizens of which would now be speaking German (or dead, if they were somehow 'undesirable' to have around).

My Dad served on Attu during WW 2.It was American soil.Please don't disrespect those who lost their life defending it.Maybe it's insignificant to you,but it's not to those whose family served there.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:36 am

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 3:17 am

Misslizard wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

My Dad served on Attu during WW 2.It was American soil.Please don't disrespect those who lost their life defending it.Maybe it's insignificant to you,but it's not to those whose family served there.

Apparently Lintar never heard about Pearl Harbor either. It may not have been a state then but, like Alaska, it was still part of the USA and therefor US soil.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 9:19 pm

Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Apparently Lintar never heard about Pearl Harbor either. It may not have been a state then but, like Alaska, it was still part of the USA and therefor US soil.

Pearl Harbour, which is on the island of Oahu (so, yes Raptor, I know about it) was not actually invaded by the Japanese. That was the point that I originally responded to, that is, the claim that the U.S. itself had to be defended. It did not have to be, because the continental United States was a safe distance from all the war zones. U.S. territories (like Guam), on the other hand, were directly assaulted, but they simply cannot be compared to the battles that raged in places like Kursk, Stalingrad, Leningrad, Poland, Singapore, Burma, North Africa, where the casualties often ran into the thousands, hundreds of thousands, and even millions. The U.S.S.R. lost 27 million, civilian and military combined, and without which Europe would still be occupied by the Nazis. The U.S. lost less than 200,000. There is simply no comparison to make here.

Then of course there were the French, Poles (who lost a quarter of their pre-war population in the conflict, the highest overall percentage), the British (you might vaguely recall the Battle of Britain), and the Chinese who managed to tie up a considerable proportion of the Japanese Imperial Army.

World War Two was not a Hollywood production; there is a reason why it is called WORLD War Two, and not 'The American Crusade to beat the Krauts and Japs'.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 3:01 am

^ So who was it in this thread that said WW2 was won single handedly by the US?

At least Germany had made plans to bomb, possibly nuke, the United States. No, they never succeeded in building the bombers to do it and certainly not the weapons but if the US had stayed totally out of the war who knows what it would have lead to.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerika_Bomber

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 3:24 am

I'd like to point out that eventhough foreign militarys' do not have bases on US soil, they still station troops here regularly for training excercisesdue to the fact that we have a wider variety of terrain than they do. As far as the UK is concerned, they really do not need bses in the US due to the fact that Canada is still a British Commonwealth nation, therefore they would be much more open to British troops on their soil. I know for a fact that the German Bundeswehr has field excercises in both the US and Canada.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 1:05 pm

UK troops do hold exercises/training in Canada at times, but of course they do not have a base there.

There is no way in Hell USA would ever allow a foreign base in their territory, and I suspect that even if another country proposed it, a serious diplomatic incident would occur.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 6:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
^ So who was it in this thread that said WW2 was won single handedly by the US?

At least Germany had made plans to bomb, possibly nuke, the United States. No, they never succeeded in building the bombers to do it and certainly not the weapons but if the US had stayed totally out of the war who knows what it would have lead to.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerika_Bomber

If the U.S. had stayed out of the war there is no way for us to determine how things may have turned out, but what matters is what actually did happen. No one has here said that the U.S. single-handedly won the war, but they haven't exactly given the credit where it is due either.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 6:55 pm

slave wrote:
There is no way in Hell USA would ever allow a foreign base in their territory, and I suspect that even if another country proposed it, a serious diplomatic incident would occur.

True, so why do they always expect others to accept their bases?! We (ie. the people, not the spineless politicians who can't stand up to Uncle Sam) don't want them! They should all just pack up and leave! A.N.Z.U.S. should be dissolved.

(I can see the response coming now. "We saved your asses from the Japs during WW2, and this is the thanks we get?! You owe us", or something along these lines. Well, no, our debt has been paid in full with interest to spare, many times over - ex. Iraq, Korea, Vietnam).