Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2015, 5:35 pm

Is it possible to make more of this hormone besides having sex or being touched? I heard about Nasal sprays but nothing with precise details..

Maybe this is what many autistics are lacking according to studies.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm

Dark chocolate and music is rumoured to release it. Even masturbating can release oxytocin among other things

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 6:13 pm

Now I know why I indulge in that "habit!"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 6:46 pm

Synthesis

The oxytocin peptide is synthesized as an inactive precursor protein from the OXT gene. This precursor protein also includes the oxytocin carrier protein neurophysin I. The inactive precursor protein is progressively hydrolyzed into smaller fragments (one of which is neurophysin I) via a series of enzymes. The last hydrolysis that releases the active oxytocin nonapeptide is catalyzed by peptidylglycine alpha-amidating monooxygenase (PAM).

Side Effects

Subarachnoid hemorrhage - Brain Bleeding
Increased heart rate - Tachycardia
Decreased blood pressure - Hypotension
Cardiac arrhythmia and premature ventricular contraction - Heart Palpitations
Anaphylaxis - Asthma, rash, tongue swelling, blocked breathing, coma, death.
Nausea and vomiting

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm

I wonder if SORI (selective oxytocin reuptake inhibitor) drugs exist.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 6:50 pm

^ Fnord LOL we really needed to know that[/sarcasm] That's actually quite interesting. :D

Dog/owner eye contact increases oxytocin levels in both.
https://boingboing.net/2015/04/20/eye-t ... our-d.html

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 9:05 pm

An infant's suckling will also cause your body to release oxytocin, among other things.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 11:24 pm

Earthling wrote:
^ Fnord LOL we really needed to know that[/sarcasm] That's actually quite interesting. :D

Dog/owner eye contact increases oxytocin levels in both.
https://boingboing.net/2015/04/20/eye-t ... our-d.html

I have long thought that interacting with pets increases oxytocin! :lol:

I'd bet that looking at anything that's cute -- otter pups or kittens or whatever also increases it -- anything that leads to a feeling of wanting to protect or take care of it.

Articles about autism and oxytocin often leave out some of the complications, such as that it may have a paradoxical effect in people with social anxiety and can increase agression:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/ ... d6P0Zcub4w
Quote:
Adverse Effects

In the past few years, however, concerns expressed by some researchers have begun to rein in the enthusiasm about the potential applications of oxytocin as a therapeutic tool.

Recent studies are showing that the positive effects can be much weaker – or even detrimental – in those that need it the most. In contrast to socially competent or secure individuals, exposure can reduce cooperativeness and trust in those prone to social anxiety. It also increases inclination for violence towards intimate partners. Although this is seen only in people who tend to be more aggressive in general, these would be the same people who might have most to gain from such a treatment, were it available.

These apparently paradoxical effects are hard to explain, particularly since the brain mechanisms responsible are still poorly understood. But a new study may help to provide the answer. A team from the University of Birmingham decided to tackle the issue by comparing studies on the effects of oxytocin with those of alcohol and were struck by the incredible similarities between the two compounds.

mrfoggy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Mar 2016, 10:37 am

somehow my reading of the mid brain, which is the emotional brain aka the amygdala

dated 16 dec 2015
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... -just-fear

how its seems to be the issue from alexthymia

and back to oxytocin which seems to have positive effect in been more prosocial

"Delivering oxytocin into basolateral amygdala of monkeys enhances both prosocial tendencies and attention to the recipients of prosocial decisions. Although more research is necessary before drawing conclusions about human applications for these findings, this is a promising discovery for identifying new possible treatments for optimizing loving-kindness, magnanimity, and charitable behaviors. . . . Especially in people who are neurobiologically inclined to be aggressive, hateful, and antisocial. "

Its seems research has been doing well for oxytocin while I heard patients able to get oxytocin supplements and spray that is available online (which I heard its mostly just water and placebo)

I can't wait to try a real oxytocin spray in social events and see if I am more acceptable and kind.
anyone actually tried it?

enneagram most like 5w4 - The Investigator / The Individualist
IQ 120 -130 High in Visual Intellgence

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:25 pm

I don't know about those nasal sprays.

I'm a late in life mom who did not really like kids until I accidentally got pregnant a few years ago. I really like chocolate and I've always been really into animals.

When I first looked at my son, supposedly when the Oxytocin happens, I wept with the most incredible feeling, which can't be described. He was the most wonderful thing that had ever happened, and I would have gladly died right then, just being able to have looked into his eyes.

I have a similar feeling when I hold him or touch him in any way. The only thing that comes anywhere close to it is to imagine the most adorable kitten you have ever seen, and you get to hold that kitten, and she is yours, and she tenderly licks your nose and her breath smells like strawberries. Or whatever would smell delightful to you. So think of that moment and times it by 100. You could die and it would be okay.

I feel like that a little bit about my husband, but there is really no comparison to the thing with my son. It would be ridiculous to imagine that neurotypicals go about feeling this kind of thing for each other. Or about chocolate, or physical intimacy. I think oxytocin is used for basic survival, for mates to stay together and protect infants. If a drug can manufacture this feeling and then autistic people walk about high on it, thinking this is how neurotypical people feel all that time- that's just nonsense. That'll be a new crack or heroin.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:28 pm

How do nasal sprays relate to oxytocin? Are they filled with it or does the sensation of the spray cause your body to release oxytocin?

mrfoggy

09 Mar 2016, 2:01 am

I think when you mentioned about getting a raise of oxytocin from your closest ones, like pets and family. thats a naturally kind of bonding you get from constant contact.

in another context, aspeger and autism people suffer from social norm behaviour and have difficulty blending and bonding with strangers, colleagues, friends in deeper level than neurotypical. Therefore over many years, we kind of avoid them.

I am not sure how oxytocin spray is administered and activate, but by raising the oxytocin level, we behave to be more kind, generous and people around us may feel that we are more friendly and approachable in some ways.

oxytocin is in research for 10 years .. and its more and more obvious that it may be working.

enneagram most like 5w4 - The Investigator / The Individualist
IQ 120 -130 High in Visual Intellgence

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:30 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
thinking this is how neurotypical people feel all that time- that's just nonsense.

Yet it would explain so much of what happens in bars, at college parties, and so much NT dating and over-socialization. I mean, it really is like NT people are addicted to having to interact with other people, all the time. ;-)

I had that amazing feeling with both our children & while I normally can't imagine someone having that sort of hit *all* the time (because our bodies usually cycle & regulate levels better), it really does make me wonder about all those people who fall hard for someone who isn't that nice to them (& other similar dysfunctional relationships). What if the dreamy-eyed person really did get an oxy-high, and it wasn't just some bad learned relationship modelling or other psychological explanation?

btw, oxytocin spray mentioned here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22795645