Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

asplint
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2015, 10:23 am

Wouldn't it be nice if we had job alarms just like we have burglar and fire alarms?

Some things are obvious. For example, if you're a computer programmer and you've been asked to compile a program that does X, Y and Z, you find out soon enough.

Other things are not quite so obvious. Like how your co-workers, customers and boss perceive you. Keep in mind that people generally won't go out of their way to tell you how they feel about you. Especially if it's negative. (Want to know why? See below.)

Yet other people's opinions of you matter at least as much as your technical ...

KayceeX
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2015, 9:20 pm

asplint wrote:
  Read Full Article
Wouldn't it be nice if we had job alarms just like we have burglar and fire alarms?

Some things are obvious. For example, if you're a computer programmer and you've been asked to compile a program that does X, Y and Z, you find out soon enough.

Other things are not quite so obvious. Like how your co-workers, customers and boss perceive you. Keep in mind that people generally won't go out of their way to tell you how they feel about you. Especially if it's negative. (Want to know why? See below.)

Yet other people's opinions of you matter at least as much as your technical ...

It already exists. It's called "reviews from your boss" and "input from your coworkers". Like the dude who shot the young VA reporter and her cameraman live on air last week. He'd received oodles of input from his previous employers.

arrose100
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

Everything you have written is true to my experience. By the time any of these start to happen there's little chance of redemption and sadly there's no protection from this "discrimination" (read the boards here).

You might try having a discussion with someone in HR who is open to people who are different. To kind, open-minded people there's a gulf between people who are intentionally argumentative, arrogant and difficult, and those who react this way, or come across this way unintentionally. If you can find someone who cares, they can explain these situations, and mediate a bit for you.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Sep 2015, 9:37 am

Bosses and coworkers don't always share their grievances with you at work. Especially if they think the problems are obvious

Personal FB: http://fb.me/alexplank1

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm

alex wrote:
Bosses and coworkers don't always share their grievances with you at work. Especially if they think the problems are obvious

That's true, in my case. There have been several times when the supervisor/boss has called me into their office to discuss complaints (or their notice) of me talking to myself out loud. Each time, I told them it would never happen again. Has my job been threatened because of that alone? Never.

Dephnitt_Leonda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2015, 7:20 am

Nyep, it happened to me... :skull:,
But I'm quite conformed to it now, seeing there's a apb-war out on our Engineer breedtype, especially in Aspiville(Metro-Detroit), MI.

I was kicked out of a job for being "too bright" at my subject of Electronics by my supervisor, who is clueless to technology; he's just a manager-thunderhead.

Strange, he was the one to hire me in though, thinking that I'll just be another minor Electronics enthusiast. Once he found out my level of experience, my additional management skills and my ability to 'fly' through IPC testing he 'buckled', reverted to policing me all around the shop area to build his case against me, deployed some sentinels to collect ANY data, questioned my every ESD-footwrapped movement and in the end wrote a britannica-sized (2-sided) paper regarding one incident of me making heatsinks for the lm7805 during diagnostics.., and wanted me to consend to it via my hancock... :? (seriously? Where's my "verbal warning"?)
I opted out.

As usual, the bosses took his side and I got canned, all in 3 DAYS! A new record!!
Took IPC-A-610 tests for 2-days straight and was on my way to becoming certified however, they weren't planning to send me off for testing either, that would make me raise-worthy... a big NOOH. :roll:

The story of my life

Like a "broken record".. I'd rather listen to raw cheese pizza in a DVD-Tray, set to multi-cloning. :? At least then I'll have breakfast afterwards.