Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 12:30 pm

Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
bring back Looney Toons :P

can't stand new animation!

I'm not a fan of the "bean head" 2010's cartoon style that is really popular right now. Remember back during the 90's and early 2000's, when each Cartoon had its own artsyle and feel to it? Now its like you can take a character from a current show and put them in another current show and you'd never know the difference.
I have to agree, for the most part. While there are still cartoons that have their own art style today, regardless of the target audience, almost every cartoon on CN looks the same. The ones that really stand out on CN due to the style are the ones the network likes to screw over.

For the record, I loathe the term "target audience".

That's what I said, CN cartoon's visual variety is lacking. I didn't say cartoons in general. :P Did I not make that clear enough? :|

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I'm not a fan of the "bean head" 2010's cartoon style that is really popular right now. Remember back during the 90's and early 2000's, when each Cartoon had its own artsyle and feel to it? Now its like you can take a character from a current show and put them in another current show and you'd never know the difference.
I have to agree, for the most part. While there are still cartoons that have their own art style today, regardless of the target audience, almost every cartoon on CN looks the same. The ones that really stand out on CN due to the style are the ones the network likes to screw over.

That's what I said, CN cartoon's visual variety is lacking. I didn't say cartoons in general. :P Did I not make that clear enough? :|
Well, considering that there are plenty of aspies on this site and some of us tend to be literal-minded occasionally, a little more clarity might have been needed. :?

One main problem with this visual monotony on Cartoon Network is that all the animators with unique visual styles have taken their shows and ideas over to other networks/companies. Not that I blame them.

Also, I probably should have said "intended audience" rather than "target audience".

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:27 pm

Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Well, considering that there are plenty of aspies on this site and some of us tend to be literal-minded occasionally, a little more clarity might have been needed. :?

One main problem with this visual monotony on Cartoon Network is that all the animators with unique visual styles have taken their shows and ideas over to other networks/companies. Not that I blame them.

Also, I probably should have said "intended audience" rather than "target audience".

Ok, well I promise I will be clearer with my wording for now on. :thumright:

It seems that Nickelodeon is getting a lot of visual variety lately, eve if one of their shows (PGBC) is vomit-inducing.

Ya, you probably should have said that.

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2016, 1:35 pm

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

It seems that Nickelodeon is getting a lot of visual variety lately, eve if one of their shows (PGBC) is vomit-inducing.

Disney's current cartoons are the same way. Star Wars Rebels has a different style from Gravity Falls, which is different from Star vs The Forces of Evil, etc. I haven't watched any Nicktoons in ages since I feel that for the most part those have gone downhill in terms of writing. And all the ones I really liked kept getting screwed over. And while I had to look it up, PGBC does look like it's hard on the eyes and like it's a major gross-out show.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 3:20 pm

Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Disney's current cartoons are the same way. Star Wars Rebels has a different style from Gravity Falls, which is different from Star vs The Forces of Evil, etc. I haven't watched any Nicktoons in ages since I feel that for the most part those have gone downhill in terms of writing. And all the ones I really liked kept getting screwed over. And while I had to look it up, PGBC does look like it's hard on the eyes and like it's a major gross-out show.

Nicktoons have started to go downhill once Nick became over-reliant on SpongeBob. Gosh I hate that show.

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2016, 3:26 pm

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Nicktoons have started to go downhill once Nick became over-reliant on SpongeBob. Gosh I hate that show.

The first few seasons of Spongebob are alright, but the stuff after the first movie is just... no. Fairly OddParents used to be good, but I haven't watched much of that since the Wishology Trilogy specials. Mostly because I saw it as a good way of ending the series. Both of those shows just need to end already. The kids who watched those shows when they first came on are all grown up now anyways. And there's plenty of episodes of both for them to last ages in reruns.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 3:47 pm

Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Violetvee wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The first few seasons of Spongebob are alright, but the stuff after the first movie is just... no. Fairly OddParents used to be good, but I haven't watched much of that since the Wishology Trilogy specials. Mostly because I saw it as a good way of ending the series. Both of those shows just need to end already. The kids who watched those shows when they first came on are all grown up now anyways. And there's plenty of episodes of both for them to last ages in reruns.

I never liked SpongeBob, even during the earlier seasons I found it unfunny. Every joke it tried had been done better by other shows. And the character's voice is ear-gratingly bad.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 11:43 am

I recently updated it again and got really horrified by their lineup now after not updating the Petition Status for 4 months. Check out the link in the first post, or in my signature. #DemandCartoonDiversity!

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2016, 7:06 am

Simmian7 wrote:
I recently updated it again and got really horrified by their lineup now after not updating the Petition Status for 4 months. Check out the link in the first post, or in my signature. #DemandCartoonDiversity!

Oh good LORD. That schedule is insane. This is why I don't watch it anymore. I think Ms. Miller needs to be replaced soon. While there are some good shows that have been greenlit and added to the station because of her, it makes no difference if they are never on the schedule. And the way she's apparently having Pokémon and Nexo Knights treated makes it seem like the only reason either is shown at all is because of a contract that she can't back out of. It's ridiculous.

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2016, 8:52 am

I haven't watched Cartoon Network since I was a teenager, and I like classic Loony Tunes better than almost any of the modern era cartoon shows. Only show I can say I still have fond memories of is the Batman/Superman animated series, so I honestly couldn't care myself - I find most cartoons (including "adult" cartoons like Family Guy) juvenile now.

(For example I liked the Pokemon animated show a little bit when I was a kid, but watching it now I realize that it's pretty terrible and almost devoid of any plot or sense at all, so I honestly can't see anyone still liking it as an adult except for nostalgia).

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

Plus the "everything was better back in the good ol' days" often just seems to be a nostalgia bias anyway, older folks who grew up with cartoons like Bugs Bunny, Popeye, Tom and Jerry probably thought cartoons like Johnny Bravo, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Spongebob, etc were awful.

I personally watched a lot of those cartoons as a kid and I think they and pretty much every cartoon are pretty objectively "awful" by adult standards; if someone still likes them they're more than welcome to and nothing's "wrong with that", but they're meant to just be stimulation for pre-teens; they're not Citizen Kane or "high art".

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 5:38 pm

Cartoon Network seems to have a number of good shows, at least in Canada, but I can't f*****g stand Teen Titans Go. The Powerpuff Girls reboot is lame too.

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2017, 5:50 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Cartoon Network seems to have a number of good shows, at least in Canada, but I can't f*****g stand Teen Titans Go. The Powerpuff Girls reboot is lame too.

From what I can tell, Cartoon Network has good shows on all their networks except their main US station. Even the new Ben10 reboot has started airing in Europe and doesn't premier here until February. Although from the little of it that I've seen, that's no real loss. Maybe. I may have to really sit through and finish that frst episode...

Oh, and not to mention that they apparently lost the airing rights to the Pokemon anime. Not mad about it though, since I've no doubt that Disney'll treat it better than Cartoon Network has the last few years. They'll be advertising the hell out of it just like they did with Doraemon and Yokai Watch. And it won't be stuck in an early morning time slot on the weekends when kids probably aren't even up yet either.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 3:32 am

The Canadian version of Adult Swim is really, really lame. It's all reruns, and there's no anime. D:

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 3:53 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
The Canadian version of Adult Swim is really, really lame. It's all reruns, and there's no anime. D:

There was a time that YTV run anime on friday nights: Inuyasha, Gundam Seed, Witch Hunter Robin, .Hack//SIGN, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, Bleach, Death Note and so on.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 1:29 am

Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd and Eddy, Scooby Doo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnnie Bravo, Tom and Jerry, Dexter's Lab, Fosters Home - these were the glory days, none of that garbage churned out now!