auditory synesthesia: i can hear what i see?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm

so, as some of you may or may not know, Synethesia is when one sense experiences one thing anoher sense will create a response as well. For example, people who hear a word or a certain sound will say that that sound has a certain flavour.

I Hear things move, like when looking at a GIF

i can hear certain sounds, its indescribable, suppose its kinda like humming or a rubbing sound maybe? all i know is i hear something and its ALWAYS consistant. when i look at the GIF above i hear the same thing every time i watch it.

so, i heard that Synethesia is common in autistic people (Common in people in general but also in people on the spectrum), being able to taste words or hear pictures. anyone else here have or think they may have Synethesia.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 1:17 pm

UPDATE, as i was doing research i came across this:

may be more common than i thought

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 5:48 pm

I wish I was synesthetic.

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2015, 7:35 pm

What do you mean you hear something when looking at the GIF? Is it a sound you hear inside your mind, like an audio file being triggered to play back? Or is it a sound you hear as if it had originated from an external source, that was indistinguishable from any other sound?

If it's the latter, then isn't it just an auditory hallucination? If it's the former, then isn't it just a normal experience?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 11:43 pm

BorgPrince wrote:
What do you mean you hear something when looking at the GIF? Is it a sound you hear inside your mind, like an audio file being triggered to play back? Or is it a sound you hear as if it had originated from an external source, that was indistinguishable from any other sound?

If it's the latter, then isn't it just an auditory hallucination? If it's the former, then isn't it just a normal experience?

No, you see the sound itself doesn't connect to the gif at all. It doesn't have any significance, it's just a strange buzzing, humming or clicking noise that plays in a specific pattern I hear in my head. It doesn't come externally and it is involuntary.

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 5:26 pm

I can see and experience music visually in patterns and abstract waves of colours to the rhythm and sound waves of the music when my brain/mind is in the 'theta/alpha' state and spiritually experience music.

Quote:
Theta frequency: When you’re sleeping more lightly or when you’re extremely relaxed.

Quote:
Alpha frequency: When you’re not focusing too hard on anything in particular.

I do not have any other type of synaesthesia.

Last edited by nadroJ on 24 Jul 2020, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 5:37 pm

I'm not sure if this counts since I don't legitimately hear anything, but when I see GIFs and other things with movement my brain will involuntarily make me imagine(?) some sort of sound for said movement. It's actually really, really annoying since I can't control it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2020, 3:02 pm

Dont literally "see" things (there are folks who have that kind of synesthesia), but do have rather vivid, but figurative, synthesthesia in some areas.

When I was child in first grade and was first taught arithmetic each of the first ten numbers had color and personality.

Have some synesthesia with taste. Fruit tastes shiny and conjures up images of gold, copper, silver, and diamonds. Fruit juice causes mental imagery of rockets and jets shooting out tongues of flame.

Brass music often "tastes" fruity to me. But pecan pie tastes exactly like the Brandenburg Concerto by Bach. Dark, and densely packed.

But as I have said before everyone must have some amount of synesthesia, or the public wouldnt give pop singers knick names like "Smokey Robinson", or "the Velvet Fog" (Mel Torme).