statistics and groups of people vs generalzing

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 4:51 pm

whats the difference?

I'm so tired of this "everyone is different" bulshi.

no everyone isn't differnt. yes theres differences but we also have a lot in commone with each other.
us for example. we have autism in common. then others have common interests.

so if say surverys are done and say 10% of group 1 likes tacos.
why is it generalizing to say some of group 1 likes tacos

or why is it bad to say some women get happy from sex
?
or to ask do women get happy from sex. oh man funny it use to be commone and ok to try to get ideas of what the opposite sex liked so you could Idk be a good partner.

but no surely all 8billion of humans are each 100% differnt from any of the others. so you can't possible group any of them together. nope.

but you can/ I'm a gun owner. theres 100million or so gun owners. we can be grouped together as gun owners. if you said 1/3 of americans owned guns that would not be generalizing.

though it really seems to just be women that bring this up. like women are all 100% differnt to suggest that millions ore even 2 women could possible share traits or interst is just wrong.

but thats so f****d up and wrong because they do just like any other human they will have shared interests and traits so why is it anytime you ask about them or talk about them men get accused of generalizing?
like admiting that women out there might like somethingg you as person don't is some kinda attack on you personally.

you know what lots of men like sports. when i here people sya that it doens't offend me. O don't like sports. but you know what look around. lots of men probably way over 50% do like sports. look how big the sport industry is. do you think it got that way by no one liking it. no. look at the stadiums full of men. men who host game nights at their house etc. i dont' ge it but yep a good majority of men around me and women too like sports. they talk about it at work on facebook, theres channels all about it, theres sections of the news paper for it.

some or most women likewase like to shop or buy makeup. not all notisce the some or majority? theres a whole idustry again built around this. go to a mall how many manly shops are tehre? how many women's clothing stores are there? 90% of my malls are womens clothing, underwear, or makup/jewly stores. what man stores there are you might ask? videgame store and sporting goods. rest are food places. so given this why is it generalzing to admit the truth?
mean go to a walmart whos section is bigger the womens or the men? the womens at mine takes up the whol front section of clothing and then 1/3 of the rest leaivnt the other 2/3 split between kids and men.

i get that if you say all women do ____ or all men do ____ that is generalzing. or if you walk up to a woman and assume she shops for dresses just because shes a woman is generalzing. but why on earth is just admiting that people share interesta and can be grouped generalizing.

don't go into marketing because thats all they do is research stats and group you up and sell you stuff based on that. how can they do it? maybe because people are and can be group together.

this is a rant /question i'm tired of being accused and fighting with women over this. this isn't something you fight with men over. why. why do women take you saying i met two women who like ____ as you accusing them of liking ____

while if you said you met 50 guys who like to knife fight men wouldn't' take offense to it.

i don't take offense to "some men rape" thats just fact. some men do rape. some women rape too. now womenwill take offense to that and accuse me of generalizing.

but they will gladly state that most men rape and women are right to assume any and all men might rape them. its so f*****g one sided. its ok to generalize men but its not ok to even fathom that any two women could have things in common.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 5:06 pm

I believe more in what I experience than research findings--especially research findings pertaining to essentially unscientific topics.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 5:13 pm

There is nothing wrong with "making generalizations" as long as you are aware that they are generalizations. Social science is pretty much all about "making generalizations" about various subgroups of the human race.

As far as: women being offended by other women making generalizations about women- I cant speak to that issue since I am a guy.

Back in Fifties it was acceptable for someone on TV to talk about "all women this or that" without balancing it by making generalizing about men. In the Seventies that stopped being acceptable. Probably a good thing.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 5:15 pm

isn't calling a woman a woman just a generalizintg then. i mean if everyone is differnt can we call women women because they female are they femaile. isn't ir wrong to call them it just because they have boobs, vagina and other female traits i mean if they all differnt then grouping them together as women is just as bad and generalizing. so they are all things. but oh no thats generalzing too. best not to talk about women at are, perhaps just pretend they dont' exist and the world is only made up of men? :cry:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 5:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There is nothing wrong with "making generalizations" as long as you are aware that they are generalizations. Social science is pretty much all about "making generalizations" about various subgroups of the human race.

As far as: women being offended by other women making generalizations about women- I cant speak to that issue since I am a guy.

Back in Fifties it was acceptable for someone on TV to talk about "all women this or that" without balancing it by making generalizing about men. In the Seventies that stopped being acceptable. Probably a good thing.

I'm a mane too.

but like there are things that women at large do or like. the way women react though is that saying that any women have anything in common with any other women is bad and generalizing.

like for example saying most women ie above 50% have long hair.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 5:28 pm

I haven't heard of this notion that all women are 100% different from each other...and thus can never be generalized or else its wrong. Yes lots do like shopping and make-up I haven't seen a lot of them get offended over someone making that claim....I could see a female who's not into that being irritated if it's implied 'all' females like those things.

Also a lot of times when people are 'generalizing' females they're just pointing out a bunch of negative traits they've decided all females share. Like yeah i get a little bothered when its implied all females are about social status above all else and thus will reject any guy who doesn't make more or doesn't have high social status...some will even go as far to accuse a female who says they don't do that of lying and they must at least do it subconsciously which is going over-board, things like that are just as ridiculous as implying all males are potential rapists.

But I do not think most women get offended over generalizations that fit the over all gender, more when it is suggested they must fit all those generalizations because they are female by someone who knows nothing about them. But I am sure some are petty and might get offended over any generalization whatsoever, but I haven't really seen it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 5:43 pm

Sorry!

Originally I assumed that this Sly279person was a guy, then I somehow got the idea you were female ( probably confused you with someone else who protested to someone that they were female-or something).

They used to put the person's gender in their Wrongplanet profile so you could check. I guess Alex thought it was insensitive to the transgender minority to do that, but I wish they would go back to putting male/female on your profile. Maybe put some third option for the transgender.

As far as the subject: It all depends on context, and how you say things I suppose.

Havent observed the conversations that you are talking about. But if you say "X percent of people who drive Ford Explorers are child molesters", and you happened to be someone who does NOT drive a Ford Explorer yourself-then you have to expect people who drive Ford Explorers to get defensive, and to be less than friendly to whatever the point you're trying to make may be!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 6:17 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I haven't heard of this notion that all women are 100% different from each other...and thus can never be generalized or else its wrong. Yes lots do like shopping and make-up I haven't seen a lot of them get offended over someone making that claim....I could see a female who's not into that being irritated if it's implied 'all' females like those things.

Also a lot of times when people are 'generalizing' females they're just pointing out a bunch of negative traits they've decided all females share. Like yeah i get a little bothered when its implied all females are about social status above all else and thus will reject any guy who doesn't make more or doesn't have high social status...some will even go as far to accuse a female who says they don't do that of lying and they must at least do it subconsciously which is going over-board, things like that are just as ridiculous as implying all males are potential rapists.

But I do not think most women get offended over generalizations that fit the over all gender, more when it is suggested they must fit all those generalizations because they are female by someone who knows nothing about them. But I am sure some are petty and might get offended over any generalization whatsoever, but I haven't really seen it.

i don't think all women are anythign as that is highly improbably. just like most guys like sports but not all guys like sports. I dont' like sports. though I dont' like most things guys like. i'm in the minority. i don't take offense to people saying most guys like sports as its just the reality.

I do thing a good portion of women are supercicially and it does seem like mabye the majority is. theres certianly 1/4-1/3 who aren't. you being one of them, I know another and there seems to be a few others here who aren't either. do you take offense when i say the above though? so many women seem to think that accepting that 2/3 of women might be that way somehow means they msut be too. i don't get this at all. even if all other men but me were some way doesn 't mean i am. I take offense at women saying your'e not a real man if you don't do _____. i think lots of men are like that and try to be like that. they like getting dirty and going hunting or mudding or working in labor jobs. I don't. i don't think I'm not a real man. though i'm not sure with so many saying i'm not anymore.

exampel asked a female friend " do women get happy for sex?"
i don't get how that was generalizing. one could have anwsered yes some do some might not, i personally do/don't. instead a lot of the women i meet will accuse me of generalizing say they don't speak fo all women just themselves.
o.O in the past you'd ask this a lot when dating. "mom what do men like" is an example and the mom would anwser based on her husband or family. swap it around a son asking mom what women are like and i gues now sh'ed say women are all differnt. o.O

yew i get that you might only know what you are like but lets be realitist. theres probably atleast one other person like you out there probably way more. so lets say ife only 1% of women are like you sweat leaf. atleast I'd know what 1% are like. heck 1% of 4billion is still a lot of women. now say 25% are similar to you. I don't mind telling women what I'm like if they ask what men are like or what men like. i know theres atleast few others like me out there. Ive meet a few.
now if i ask other women the same question. now i get even more data points. but instead women refuse to anwser and say its sexist or generalzing that all women are differnt and thers no way them telling you could at all help you with any other women as none are like them at all.

you know that actaully seems self centered. to think you're so sepciall no other woman could at all be similar to you.

eh not meaning you in that last bit. but a person who thinks that way. idk it just use to be women and men both had no problem anwsering those questions. men still don't go ask a man what men think about ____ most will just tel you. we don't assume it that you expect our anwser to repersent all men in a total, but when you ask a lot of women they assume you mean their anweser to repersent all women. i dont' get this.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 6:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sorry!

Originally I assumed that this Sly279person was a guy, then I somehow got the idea you were female ( probably confused you with someone else who protested to someone that they were female-or something).

They used to put the person's gender in their Wrongplanet profile so you could check. I guess Alex thought it was insensitive to the transgender minority to do that, but I wish they would go back to putting male/female on your profile. Maybe put some third option for the transgender.

As far as the subject: It all depends on context, and how you say things I suppose.

Havent observed the conversations that you are talking about. But if you say "X percent of people who drive Ford Explorers are child molesters", and you happened to be someone who does NOT drive a Ford Explorer yourself-then you have to expect people who drive Ford Explorers to get defensive, and to be less than friendly to whatever the point you're trying to make may be!

but if a study came out and said for fact that x amount of people who drive ford explorers are child molesters?
also say 25% of them are, you can still be in the 75% who aren't so whats the problem. guarantee that child molters drive cars, eat food, shop at stores . so yes a certain percentage of people who go places you go, do things you do are child molsters. simply stating so doesn't' make the rest child molesters by proximity.

mean just because 75% of women like to clothing shop. doesn't mean the other 25% have to.
why take offense to that I don't get it. i won't assume every woman i meet likes to clothing shop until she shows she does. if i did that would be generalizing. but simply saying most do isn't generalizing.

being accused of sexism or generalizing upsets me and turns me defensive. I don't like to fight and had a fight with my friend. because I asked her if she thought women got happy from sex. I like her as a friend but feel she takes what other women do and stating other women do them persoanlly as if i'm saying she does those. I don't mean to upset her either. i suppose maybe in this poltically correct world we live in now I have no place as a guy who relies on stats and facts. stats and facts are not politically correct as PC is more about feelings then reality. if tomorrow 50% said they were offended we call the sun the sun. we'd stop calling it that ot be PC. I would however still call it the sun.