Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 7:56 pm

I lost my last job, and my new job is going less than ideal. I probably won't lose this one, but the hours and stress are running me ragged. For the past few years, my parents have been trying to get me to apply to SSI. They keep saying that my Aspergers is going to make it hard for me to hold down a decent job, so it'd be better to settle for a low paying one I'd enjoy and let the SSI checks keep me going. My other friends have told me to stay away from SSI because I'll never have enough money to live comfortably, and it's really hard to get a decent job afterwords if the employers find out you're getting SSI checks. I've always said no because I wanted to be independent and not have to rely on Uncle Sam to keep me going. Besides, the one time I actually tried to apply, they told me that $10 an hour was too high of pay to qualify. I make $12 now. But since moving out of my parents house, I've been forced to acknowledge that I'm not nearly as ready for the real world as I thought. So, what do you think? SSI or no SSI?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm

Typically you wont get approved if you are currently working...if someone is on SSI they can work a limited number of hours and make up to a certain amount of income(not enough to live on) before their SSI payments start being deducted. If the job you have now pays a livable wage and you're confident you wont lose it, there really isn't much point in applying for SSI. Basically if you're unable to work because of your ASD or any other conditions you can get approved, then after the fact you can work on a very limited basis without being penalized by having your SSI reduced its kind of screwed up since much of the times someone might attempt some part time work....lose track of how much they earned and then be kicked off SSI, then lose their job and be left with no income.

Also you can't save more than 2,000 dollars or they can kick you off SSI, so doesn't really encourage you to save up to invest in like a place to live, get a car and eventually find a way into self sufficiency. Really unless you really cannot hold a job it would just be a pointless hassle.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

28 Aug 2015, 9:33 pm

It's best to keep yourself out of the poverty trap if you can.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2015, 3:57 pm

Even those who are obviously disabled get denied and it takes at least one appeal with an attorney to even get SSI. I managed to get it for myself, but you can only save up to $2,000 or they cut you off. Sometimes, even when you report your income, they like to say they didn't get the reported income, so sometimes it means that you have to go to the office and actually show your pay stubs or statements if you get your paychecks direct deposited. Also, if you work more than 10 hours a week and get higher than the federal minimum wage, you might not even qualify or be able to keep the SSI. If you live in a state or county that has raised their minimum wage, then you're screwed there as well.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2015, 8:39 pm

That is true. You would likely have to hire a lawyer to appeal and then pay them a bunch of money out of your already meager disability checks.

I also read an article yesterday that said SSI and Social Security are both due to go broke in 2033, so it's not exactly a long-term solution as it stands.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:01 pm

adoylelb90815 wrote:
Even those who are obviously disabled get denied and it takes at least one appeal with an attorney to even get SSI. I managed to get it for myself, but you can only save up to $2,000 or they cut you off. Also, if you work more than 10 hours a week and get higher than the federal minimum wage, you might not even qualify or be able to keep the SSI. If you live in a state or county that has raised their minimum wage, then you're screwed there as well.

Life in U.K is different. I get ESA a type of income related benefit, and there was some paperwork and harsh assessments to begin with, but many many years on, I am still on it and qualify for up to just over six grand, in total benefits and can keep it for a year if i can find a job on permitted working hours. Which is under 15 and a half per week.
After that you're screwed if the employer has had enough and believe me there are some sadisic types out there.
At the moment, i'm told that a work trial can be set up for two weeks unpaid, however, theres never been any offer of that. I had tried before this benefit on another awful one and it was like it was run under slave labour in the care home sense. I wasn't even applying for role of carer, i just got one of the qsts wrong unrelated to the role and that was that, never even got paid like i was promised for the induction.
There are absolutely no work schemes in the South, becuase and I think this is why, everybody who;s anybody, has decent qualifications and contacts and finds it dead easy to come here. Brains is ambition obviously and I redid my GCSE's mainly so i could aim to get on in life, but nooo.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jun 2017, 3:06 pm

I was on SSI before I started working & they switched it to SSDI after working enough. Your SSI get reduced by a $1 for every $2 you make before taxes 1ce you make like $65/$85(I forget the exact amount) so SSI is good if you don't have a job or are barely making anything but you cant get on it rite now with your income. Also the GOP is trying to do away with SSI & Social Security so it may not be around after Trump's budget gets passed & goes into affect.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition