Psychics speak out: "It's all a scam" (hey Fnord!)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 2:18 am

Fnord will love this. Psychics confessing to being scammers, and to using what's called "cold reading". From MSN:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-se ... ailsignout

How else do you think they can afford the rent on a storefront parlor in Times Square? One of these scammers lives in a residential district that was rezoned commercial ages ago, about 6 miles from my home, and lately I've seen a brand new Porsche Panamera parked in her driveway.

Fortunetelling is a common Rom (Gypsy) scam, along with lonely hearts type cons. I know of Rom who beg in parking lots, using kids as props. They used to position themselves right at the doors of the markets, but finally got chased off, so they stand at the entrances to the strip malls. Many Rom are suspicious of public schools, so the kids are near illiterate and have to scam Gadje (non-Rom) to put food on the table.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 10:17 am

First you should ask yourself who would go to them and put down big money? One time my friend drug me to a palm/card reader who had a sign on her home and everything. I think we were there to learn more about how she did it because the friend wanted to do the same sort of business. She didn't charge us too much for the experience though. It was pleasant, not too costly. I would beware of the ones who want people to keep coming back with more money though. Those are high pressure scammers but not all of them are horrible.
Card readers are generally honest people who want to make a little bit of money reading cards or palms.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 10:26 am

I don't see how the State of New York can really prosecute these 'psychics'. It's not like they are strong-arming or black-mailing these people. The clients were simply gullible fools who payed for a service they thought they needed. This seems to me to be more of a nanny state 'Help, protect me from myself! ' kind of nonsense.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 6:12 pm

I once got a coupon for a reading for $10. I went simply to see what they did. I didn't and don't believe in physics. I was surprised at how she told me to get a bunch of candles and a sealed donation to 'cure' what ailed me. I went along with her till the end of the session. It was enlightening and a little sad that she was taking money from people who really can't afford it...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 7:21 am

pcuser wrote:
I didn't and don't believe in physics.

I sincerely hope this was an unfortunate typo. :lol:

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 8:08 am

Sorry about that. I wasn't having a good day. Obviously, I meant psychics...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 11:37 am

pcuser wrote:

No need to get apologetic, just some friendly ribbing. :)

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 11:58 am

Not being apologetic, simply explaining it. Yeah, I guess it's funny...

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 1:01 pm

glebel wrote:
I don't see how the State of New York can really prosecute these 'psychics'. It's not like they are strong-arming or black-mailing these people. The clients were simply gullible fools who payed for a service they thought they needed. This seems to me to be more of a nanny state 'Help, protect me from myself! ' kind of nonsense.

In general the schemes these scum run are called "confidence games" and the people who perpetrate them are called "perps" and "con" men/women.

So your contention is that if you or someone else is merely "cheated" out of their money through deception then there is no crime? So if someone is promised something in return for money, and don't receive it, then it's the "victim's" failing?

And just to make sure I understand you: If a person is either uneducated or inexperienced then there is no crime in taking advantage of this person? Would you go so far as to say it's good business to take advantage of those less fortunately endowed with intelligence and/or experience?

Somehow I don't think I understand your statement fully because as I grew up I learned it was better to help and care for those less fortunate. Why do we differ so in our opinions?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 1:33 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
pcuser wrote:

No need to get apologetic, just some friendly ribbing. :)

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people out there who consider physics a scam.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.