Amy Sequenzia-What Does Autism Speaks Call For Unity Mean

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 9:06 am

Autism Women's Network

Quote:
Neurotypical writer Steve Silberman just published his extensively researched book on, more specifically autism – Neurotibes. For this book, he talked to several Autistic activists.
One of the points he made in one of the interviews (and in the book), is that we, Autistics, don’t like how Autism Speaks talks about us, without us. This is not news. Autistics have been protesting Autism Speaks since its foundation. It should not surprise anyone that we have a problem with an organization that never uses positive words when referring to us – and this is to say the least.
Liz Feld, President of Autism Speaks, wrote a “Call for Unity”, another shallow defense of the organization’s methods, saying that Steve Silberman (and Autistic adults, by proxy) was “dividing” the so-called autism community.

I was bothered by Autism Speaks' proprietary attitude to autism. Do they really think that Silberman's book is a threat to the community. More like a threat to their funding.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 11:25 am

androbot01 wrote:
Autism Women's Network

Quote:
Neurotypical writer Steve Silberman just published his extensively researched book on, more specifically autism – Neurotibes. For this book, he talked to several Autistic activists.
One of the points he made in one of the interviews (and in the book), is that we, Autistics, don’t like how Autism Speaks talks about us, without us. This is not news. Autistics have been protesting Autism Speaks since its foundation. It should not surprise anyone that we have a problem with an organization that never uses positive words when referring to us – and this is to say the least.
Liz Feld, President of Autism Speaks, wrote a “Call for Unity”, another shallow defense of the organization’s methods, saying that Steve Silberman (and Autistic adults, by proxy) was “dividing” the so-called autism community.

I was bothered by Autism Speaks' proprietary attitude to autism. Do they really think that Silberman's book is a threat to the community. More like a threat to their funding.

Sounds like they don't want any competition.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2015, 12:21 pm

Quote:

That certainly is the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it?

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 2:20 am

Of course they want us to be unified-- in the sense that they want EVERYONE to stand behind THEM. Autism Speaks are all sickening excuses for lifeforms.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 2:47 am

Can we just be done with it and found a BS nonprofit ourselves? Autism Screams perhaps?

Sattire is the sincerest form of ideologue warfare...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 9:47 am

androbot01 wrote:
Do they really think that Silberman's book is a threat to the community.

Actually they probably do view anything that takes the spotlight off of the plight of allistic parents of Autistic children as a threat to their community, since their community exists solely for the sake of lionizing such parents; a goal which is not only distinct from but contrary to improving the lives of Autistic people.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 2:11 pm

cberg wrote:
Can we just be done with it and found a BS nonprofit ourselves? Autism Screams perhaps?

This is great :lol:

greeneyeszengirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2015, 5:45 pm

cberg wrote:

What is wrong with the Autism Self Advocacy Network? Nothing satirical about that, it's a 501c3 and there are chapters all over the country. Not one near you? Start one. I am. The community here is large, and there is a thriving support group, that has been over the course of years being shifted away from support to social group. There are some fairly serious problems with it that need to be changed, toward that end, I'm starting the South West Ohio chapter of ASAN.

Because we do have voices of our own and they are not being heard enough, even silenced at times. I was horrified when at an event, and again at a support group meeting, I was actively SILENCED when I spoke out against Autism $queaks. That's because our group meets that the Children's Home, and they are it would seem a bit more connected to Autism $queaks than any of us consider healthy.

Making matters worse, one of our "facilitators" (all of them are Neurotypical) is a self proclaimed "Autism Coach" who listens to what members talk about and pull them aside to offer assistance. Assistance that is billed at a rate of $20 dollars and hour no less, and some of our group members are actively being preyed upon by this one person.

Instead of satire, why not activism, why not stand and be heard? Instead of "Autism Screams" what about "Nothing about us, without us." which is the core idea behind ASAN?

"My weird life, just got a whole lot weirder, by becoming less weird."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
cberg wrote:

This is great :lol:

That's a good one.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

So these people are paying this person to teach them they're bad and need to fit in or else they're worthless, and that they're worthless anyway because they plan to abort us in the future.

A year ago I would have said "I hope she burns in hell", but now I'm more like "This is hell, I hope she burns now."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 4:47 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Of course they want us to be unified-- in the sense that they want EVERYONE to stand behind THEM...
THIS, for truth.

Too bad that, in the real world, there are people and factions united against THEM. This must be making them worry that their donors might take their money elsewhere, and that the leaders who run the organization might have to find honest work.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 5:28 pm

Honest work often doesn't pay as much. But in the long run, crime doesn't pay either. What you do to others you do to yourself. Well, now I'm getting too spiritual/philosophical.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 6:16 am

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
So these people are paying this person to teach them they're bad and need to fit in or else they're worthless, and that they're worthless anyway because they plan to abort us in the future.

A year ago I would have said "I hope she burns in hell", but now I'm more like "This is hell, I hope she burns now."
are you refering to amy sequenzia when you say that

i always thought she was pretty good.she is anti cure i believe

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 1:57 am

vermontsavant wrote:
CharityGoodyGrace wrote:

are you refering to amy sequenzia when you say that

i always thought she was pretty good.she is anti cure i believe

Pretty sure he is referring to Suzanne Wright.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html