Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

bashir
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2015, 2:29 am

I think dressing appropriately is a fairly common problem for people, myself included.
so I thought it would be good to have a general thread about the challenges related to getting dressed,
and any ways people have found that help overcome them.

some things I struggle with, or that appear to be common issues in the community

1. the texture of garments, the placement of tags, seams, and similar tactile preferences
eg. you can't stand the feel of some fabrics, or have to touch everything before you buy it

2. the need to dress the same way often or every day
eg. you only wear blue and black, only wear one type of jacket, or you only wear one pair of shoes

3. unusual attachment to specific articles of clothing
eg. you have a favourite scarf, shirt or jumper that you always wear

4. being unsure whether to dress casually, semi-formally or formally
eg. people often comment that you look like you are going to a party or event, or that you should put on something nicer

5. preference for off-trend garments, styles of clothing, colours
eg. trench coats, retro styles, flared leg pants, bright colours, monochrome, or pastel tones (whichever is off trend where you are)

6. difficulty distinguishing between people or models that are normally dressed, and those that are "dressed up" or not dressed seriously
eg. people say you look like a particular character, that you are dressed oddly, or that your clothes are mis-matched

7. difficulty with clothing store staff, the shopping environment, how shops work or the number of people
eg. you can't stand the smell of some shops, you are nervous about store attendants asking if you need help, or feel overwhelmed by the number of things on sale or the number of other people in the store

This is something that causes a lot of stress for people who realise they have problems in these areas,
and for some people they may be unaware that they are not like other people in these ways
whilst I think it's important to note that many of these things are not "wrong" and not a lot of people will care,
there will be times that having an understanding of your personal differences will be important for you.

bashir
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2015, 2:30 am

If anyone has other things I've missed, I can add them to the list

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 5:51 am

8. difficulty with the temperatures
eg. you are always cold and have to wear sweaters when others wear just t-shits, or the opposite - you always feel warm and don't mind wearing just a t-shirt in middle of winter.

9. motor difficulties
eg. you cannot wear flip flops, high heels etc. because you are unable to make them stay at your feet or feel like you are about to fall over as you walk.