Scared to death about upcoming interview

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2015, 3:25 pm

I've finally had enough of being stuck at home with no money and nothing to do with my time. I went to the doctor and got a script to for some anxiety meds to hopefully help a little with starting a new job, but I'm still scared to death.

The interview is with a temp agency. What types of things do you think I should disclose to them. Should I tell them I have Aspergers and severe anxiety issues?

The only kind of work I've done in the past is your basic grunt work at production plants. I have experience and osha certification as an endloader and forklift operator but driving around a 20ft tall $500,000 piece of equipment is extremely stressful and I don't know if I want to put my self in that position again. At the same time don't want another job that tears me down physically day in and day out :/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 9:46 pm

Buddy...don't tell them a damn thing....except that you could do the job!

Good luck tomorrow. I'm glad you're taking this big step to improving your life.

Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2015, 11:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Buddy...don't tell them a damn thing....except that you could do the job!

Good luck tomorrow. I'm glad you're taking this big step to improving your life.

Thanks man I really appreciate the encouragement! :D

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 3:17 am

You are making a large step in the right direction.

I agree with Kraftie that you should disclose as little as possible, but nothing is cutting the corner.
You should mention things like needing to take small breaks to process your sensory overload (if you need them) or the fact that eye contact bothers you (if it does). These are things that will come out anyway, so better to disclose them.

I myself worked for temps, and the "sensory breaks" were rarely a problem becouse i compared them to smoke breaks.
Along with the promise that i would make sure to only step aside if there wasn't as much pressure, it was ok to do so.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

I agree with the other posters, but I would cloak any issues as something vague and socially acceptable, like allergies or an inner ear problem. Like, oh sorry I need to wear headphones sometimes because my ears are sensitive. Or I need to run to the bathroom because my stomach is acting up (gives you a break if you're overloaded).

Most common aspie issues you could get away with not talking about. Go in confident and strong. Whatever it is, you can do it.

If you come out and tell a temp agency that you have Asperger's, they will most likely think that means you are less capable and weird. You'll get placed in jobs that my dog would find less than challenging. Sometimes this isn't the case, but most often it is. I wouldn't risk it.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 2:03 pm

Understood. I do know that most of us (me included!) over-estimate how hard & scary any given interview might be. I used to believe that there was some special trick or skill that eluded only me. That's just not true. Trust, I actually once cried at an interview. I'm now ok with interviews etc.

Note: Please don't reveal anything private your interviewer - they do not need (or want) your diagnosis, I promise. I've learned the hard way. Write down some basic interview questions, then write out your answers - read them aloud. Practice that with someone you know/trust.

Please watch this video 8) Pretending to be confident, even if you're wilting inside, actually makes you confident. Watch this.......do note her secret revealed towards the end too.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 2:17 pm

As an important general note.....So often Aspies are told that we somehow can never succeed at interviews (&/or other related social interactions). No, that's just not true. Sure, it might be a harder step for us, but it's absolutely doable. (I get so frustrated with select neurotypicals for instilling this nonsense).

Next, I know plenty of us (I used to too) somehow believe that we can evade doing an interview (&/or other related social interactions). Instead solely relying on our intellect &/or pretending that this interview thingy can be overlooked. That's just not true. Yes, we do have to perform well too. And we can, without smothering our natural Aspergian traits.

P.S. I'm watching the 'Criminal Minds' on Netflex lately 8) Dr Spencer Reed's autism has been mentioned & he performs perfectly well w/o smothering his natural traits.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

I find myself in a similar situation as an interview for a stock broker apprenticeship is scheduled for this Tuesday. But I have sent their recruitment assistant an email this evening asking for some more information on what the roles will be entailing. I did, however, add that if each position's criteria requires strong team-working skills, an outgoing nature and confidence dealing with people, then none would be suitable for me.

Incidentally, I have been unemployed for almost five years now and shamefully have NEVER had a successful interview with an employer. The only occasion on which I managed to find employment was through an employment agency, who were recruiting for a terribly desperate factory at the time.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 2:48 pm

.......best of luck to you, Crazyfool.