Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:23 am

I often have a problem with ending a conversation in a nice natural way.

I'm a very poor conversationalist and seldom initiate a conversation with people that I don't know well. However, if I do somehow end up in a conversation with someone, I want to be as polite as possible and don't want to end it abruptly. I DO want to get out of it but I don't know how. Ironically, I sometimes notice that the other person also seems to want to end it but think I am not letting him/her go as if I were being clingy. This is one of the reasons why I avoid unnecessarily being on greeting terms with people.

Even online I sometimes don't know if I should keep responding to other posters when they respond to me. That's why I like the "Interview the person below you" thread. It allows me to interact with others in a structured way.

I'm not particularly asking for advice but I just want to know how other people feel about it.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

Probably because that person does not deserve a nice ending to the conversation.
We don't have to be friends with everyone. And if they have a problem with how I ended the conversation, it's THEIR problem.

You don't need to be a people pleaser.
Some people are idiots and you just turn around and walk away from them, that's about as "neat" an ending you can have. Don't even have to say good bye.

Diagnosed in 2005