Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 3:00 pm

I am stressed a bit more than usual lately (new job) and although my anxiety levels are manageable through a healthy lifestyle and medication, I am too hot all the time.

This week I developed a stress rash/heat rash, and the although antihistamines are reducing the first outbreak, new patches are still developing. (Its definitely not chicken pox, shingles, measles, mumps or meningitis and I have not taken any new medications/strange food)

I am curious if anyone has found a way to reduce their temperature levels (as a reaction to stress) beyond taking antihistamines and reducing anxiety levels?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 7:21 pm

Air-conditioning does the trick for me. I tend to be constantly "too hot" myself.

Do you happen to have a fan?

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm

I drink a lot of ice water. Anything ice cold to drink helps me very much. My temperature regulation problem may be caused by medication, though.

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2015, 9:17 pm

Me too, loads of water. When I'd go to the bathroom I'd say to my co-worker, "Time to rotate my coolant."

Also, I brought in a personal fan at every job I've had.

If you work outdoors, a small wet towel around the neck is nice. You can keep wetting it all day.

I did not know that my unusually high temperature was related to AS. Is this common with Aspiens?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Sep 2015, 10:30 pm

BetaBlockers might could help

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 9:03 am

Pharmaceuticals generally have all kinds of side effects.
It could be one of your medications.
Or something reacting with them.
I never trust pharmaceuticals.

Diagnosed in 2005

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 9:29 am

Kraftie - I could use a small handheld battery operated fan at times, I move around quite a bit at work so a stationary fan wouldn't work.

Justkillingtime - I will try the iced drink approach, I am supposed to take restroom breaks at specific times, so the very cold water could be an alternative to large quantities of water.

Anachron - it seems to be high and low temperatures, and for different reasons:
viewtopic.php?t=285179
viewtopic.php?t=266255
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=260607
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=197793
viewtopic.php?t=164008

Nick - I miss beta-blockers, I stopped taking them when my dosage of Sertraline was increased, I have been considering that beta blockers might limit the physical stress response.

Pete - It is possible that I could be developing a reaction to the medication, I think it is unlikely though as I have been taking it for almost one year, without any adverse reactions. I think the rash coincides with my new living arrangements and new work environment.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 10:20 am

I have a fan at work, aimed right at my face, that I can switch on or off. Different times of day I need it more: often in the afternoon, or after a hot drink of tea or coffee.

Another thing that helps is dressing in removable layers. For instance, a sleeveless blouse with a sweater, jacket or shawl over it. I keep a shawl (pashmina) in my drawer for times when the A/C gets too chilly there.

I find dresses provide more ventilation than pants; naturally for a workplace you don't want them too short, though.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2015, 3:43 pm

I am always too hot and perspire freely. Anxiety and social pressure exacerbates both of these problems.

This problem was slightly less noticable when I weighed less but it was certainly still there.

I keep a fan on my desk at work and it runs pretty much full time.

I have tried beta blockers several times and I've never found them to be helpful.

I've also tried the stronger antiperspirants but I cannot tolerate them as they irritate my skin a lot.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 5:51 am

I think I will just have to buy lighter clothes BeaArthur, I only wear dresses in work. Perhaps it was the nude gloss tights I was wearing as the rash started on my lower legs (much to my embarrassment).

Falloy I have tried the stronger antiperspirants too and they cause a painful skin irritation, but I discovered a fragrance free stick (not the roll on) recently which did not cause me any discomfort.Link.

Another thing that might work is bringing an ice pack and subtly placing it on my pulse points when possible.

mild mannered missanthrope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2015, 7:10 am

I have the opposite problem with feeling too cold when stressed. When I have to be in public ( work etc...) when this happens I use heat therapy adhesive patches. Just one spot of warmth on my back can really help me feel better. They make cold therapy patches too. Would something like this help? The patches I use last 3-4 hours each, so I induce fewer interruptions to my focus than other methods like chain-drinking tea or using hand warmer pouches (I think these are available in cold versions too). Good luck - I hope the worst subsides soon for you.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 2:52 pm

mild mannered missanthrope wrote:
I have the opposite problem with feeling too cold when stressed. When I have to be in public ( work etc...) when this happens I use heat therapy adhesive patches. Just one spot of warmth on my back can really help me feel better. They make cold therapy patches too. Would something like this help? The patches I use last 3-4 hours each, so I induce fewer interruptions to my focus than other methods like chain-drinking tea or using hand warmer pouches (I think these are available in cold versions too). Good luck - I hope the worst subsides soon for you.

Thank you for this suggestion, I'm going to buy cold patches tomorrow!

mild mannered missanthrope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Sep 2015, 1:46 am

I hope the cold ones work as well for you as the hot ones do for me :D Make sure to check the ingredients if you have sensitive skin - I know a lot of the ones for sprains/strains contain menthol...which can be an irritant. The ones intended for use with migraines have milder ingredients...that said when I have used the cold ones on injuries I have not had a problem...and my skin is very sensitive.

One last thought, when I have rashes / burns I use aloe gel (cheaply available for sunburn relief) it really helps my skin heal faster & it feels cool when I apply it and for some time after. Perhaps you could try using this instead of or under moisturizer on heat affected areas until your skin heals.