Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Jiykoth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2015, 3:35 pm

ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) w/ BP (Bipolar) II: Escaping Manic Lows

For months now, I’ve been obsessively watching TV, struggling to work 40 hrs/week and not doing much else. Even when I’m at work, I’m not productive.

Common chores and hygiene have fallen by the wayside.

This is a persistent pattern where I feel like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop: the inevitable hammer that will shatter my fragile ecosystem.

In the past, the only thing that worked was time; given enough, the cycle eventually swings the other way.

I’m on what’s arguably a good mix of drugs for my particular comorbidity, namely Lithium, Seroquel and Neurontin (and some THC, Nicotine and Alcohol). The later ones are recent additions, as I had been strictly sober for 30 years.

I’ve effectively isolated myself from family and friends, with the exception of a single friend who doesn’t require typical relationship maintenance, which is nice.

I’ve been comforted by some of the blog/forum entries by others in this predicament, and eagerly await any advice/ideas you may have about breaking these manic lows.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 11:37 pm

Mood disorders suck. I'm dual diagnosis. I have depression and I'm an alcoholic with just a few weeks sober. I had to check myself into a mental hospital because the withdrawal was so bad, I wanted to die. Alcohol doesn't help in the long run. It just makes it worse.

Maybe you need to set more time for yourself. Group therapy and AA meetings are helping me deal with the isolation, depression, and addiction. It hurts like hell at times but I'm trying to have some compassion for myself. Sometimes I feel like a superman. I've been through so much pain but I've come out of it every time so far. You need to reach out to people you trust. Hang in there.