Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 8:45 am

Yes! Definitely! Even if she does stand you up, which I'm very sure she won't, at least you can be proud of yourself for trying.

In the words of Charlotte Brontë, "Better to try all things and find all empty than to try nothing and leave your life a blank."

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

Aspie1 wrote:
I think because most, if not all, aspie guys have trouble getting dates in the first place, each instance of a date seems like a big deal. It's not. It's just two people meeting to get to know each other better and feel out each other's personality. And remember: you're deciding if she's right for you just as much as she's deciding if you're right for her. Go see that lady friend of yours, do something low key (like get ice cream together), and let us know how it went.

That said, if she does stand you up, don't sit there waiting more than 15 minutes. Promptly leave, and forget about it.

This, 1000 this!

I was wondering the same why all these "OMG A FEMALE ASKED YOU OUT? YES!! GO! GO! GO!" coming from the males here - this is wrong, guys, this is not how it should be, this is a lapdog reaction to a cookie.

Compare your responses with girls' responses when their female friend asked whether or not she should go out with some guy X he asked her out- the girls would usually evaluate the info she gives about the guy and each would come up with thoughtful opinion why she should go for him or not - you won't hear from them saying "OMFG!! YES GO FOR HIM" - unless maybe if he's some hot Hollywood star.

Remember OP, remember all of you guys here, we guys also have the right to say NO for a girl asking us out, it shouldn't be an automatic Yes just because....well....a girl asked us out.

If you see serious signs of creepiness, trap, mean vibes from her or you simply don't like her or you have any other genuine reason to reject her .....then don't be feel too pressured to say Yes! say only Yes if you feel like it.

If I were you, I would do as Aspie1 suggested, taking it lightly and not so seriously until proven otherwise, provided I don't have a good reason to reject her - but only you know this girl well.

Liamzan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Sep 2015, 6:54 pm

Welp. After all that encouragement(thanks guys) I've decided to go. I'm heading out to pick her up now. Let's see how this goes.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 10:09 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
"It's a date" generally means basically "we have set up a time and date and this event is going ahead", not "I'm declaring that this will be a romantic date".

I just felt a need to clear that up, but it still looks very much like a date to me ;)

No, "it's a date" between one guy and one girl is always something with romantic intention.

She would deny it so only if she doesn't like him after the date.

No, it's really not. At least not where I live. It's a common term used between any two people to say "yes, this will happen".

Here are a few random resources:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=it%27s+a+date
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/it-s-a-date
http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/its-a-date.916348/

The sex of the two people doesn't matter. But as I said earlier, it doesn't mean that she doesn't think it's a date...just that that particular phrase generally doesn't mean that. It is more casual/informal/general/broad.

I doubt that an adult woman would be that naive and thinks a guy she asked out for a one-to-one would not take this as a romantic date.

Like I said, it sure sounds like a date, but not because of the term "it's a date". I've said that to guy friends plenty of times and it doesn't mean "I'm calling this a date". That's all I'm saying.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 10:35 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
"It's a date" generally means basically "we have set up a time and date and this event is going ahead", not "I'm declaring that this will be a romantic date".

I just felt a need to clear that up, but it still looks very much like a date to me ;)

No, "it's a date" between one guy and one girl is always something with romantic intention.

She would deny it so only if she doesn't like him after the date.

No, it's really not. At least not where I live. It's a common term used between any two people to say "yes, this will happen".

Here are a few random resources:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=it%27s+a+date
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/it-s-a-date
http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/its-a-date.916348/

The sex of the two people doesn't matter. But as I said earlier, it doesn't mean that she doesn't think it's a date...just that that particular phrase generally doesn't mean that. It is more casual/informal/general/broad.

I doubt that an adult woman would be that naive and thinks a guy she asked out for a one-to-one would not take this as a romantic date.

Like I said, it sure sounds like a date, but not because of the term "it's a date". I've said that to guy friends plenty of times and it doesn't mean "I'm calling this a date". That's all I'm saying.

Guy friend you know well is understandable, but I'd think a male you barely know/only just met isn't as much. If you would say 'it's a date' when your intention is to only be his friend in the first place, it's kind of leading them on.

Perhaps it's unfair of a male to interpret it as a date when the asker did not intend to come across that way, or perhaps it's unfair on the male the asker was not clear enough in their intentions. Maybe both.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 11:36 pm

Outrider wrote:
Guy friend you know well is understandable, but I'd think a male you barely know/only just met isn't as much. If you would say 'it's a date' when your intention is to only be his friend in the first place, it's kind of leading them on.

Perhaps it's unfair of a male to interpret it as a date when the asker did not intend to come across that way, or perhaps it's unfair on the male the asker was not clear enough in their intentions. Maybe both.

Yes, I agree, it would be a bit risky or unfair to use that term if other things were pointing towards her being romantically interested, if she wasn't. Because yes, it could be confused as a date date by those who don't hear the term used so often in casual settings. I wouldn't use the term if I thought it might be confused in that way.

I think it's fine that she used the term, as it seems pretty clear (from the OP's description of events etc.) that she means to go on a date. Saying "alright then, it's a date" would be the same as saying "alright then, looking forward to it". In both cases it seems it is a date, because of the rest of the story, not specifically because of the use of the term "it's a date" or "looking forward to it".

OP, be sure to tell us how it went! :D

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 8:19 am

Liamzan wrote:
Welp. After all that encouragement(thanks guys) I've decided to go. I'm heading out to pick her up now. Let's see how this goes.

WOOHOO! Image

Liamzan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2015, 3:53 pm

This is a bit late, but here's a followup for those interested. The date went fairly okay. I felt as if I came off awkward through most of it, but she was actually really nice. We've met up a couple times since then so things are looking good surprisingly. I wouldn't mind asking her to be my girlfriend at some point if I ever build up the courage for it. But I guess it's a little too early for that :oops: Here's hoping.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 3:46 am

Way to go!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 3:47 am

Looking good there; just don't wait too long with asking this, indesiciveness can be a problem.
if you are able to hold hands without it feeling too awkward, it might be worth trying to cut the topic (not asking directly, yet, but imply that you are thinking about asking)

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 6:56 pm

Liamzan wrote:
This is a bit late, but here's a followup for those interested. The date went fairly okay. I felt as if I came off awkward through most of it, but she was actually really nice. We've met up a couple times since then so things are looking good surprisingly. I wouldn't mind asking her to be my girlfriend at some point if I ever build up the courage for it. But I guess it's a little too early for that :oops: Here's hoping.

<3 <3 <3