Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 5:37 pm

lemon wrote:
it's also the last painting with this keyhole shape, cause someone interpreted this as a 'we are looking at her'-thing and i meant it to be a 'she is looking at us'-thing

that's an interesting approach...i always grew up and was told that you should just do your art pure to what you see it as and not worry about how others judge it because no one will understand it the same as you unless you put an explanation with it. which...explanations aren't always bad but sometimes they take the magic and personal (to the viewer) meaning out of the art.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 5:41 am

skafather84 wrote:
lemon wrote:
it's also the last painting with this keyhole shape, cause someone interpreted this as a 'we are looking at her'-thing and i meant it to be a 'she is looking at us'-thing

that's an interesting approach...i always grew up and was told that you should just do your art pure to what you see it as and not worry about how others judge it because no one will understand it the same as you unless you put an explanation with it. which...explanations aren't always bad but sometimes they take the magic and personal (to the viewer) meaning out of the art.

well it was the fact that someone said this message of 'looking at her' was so very strong that i changed it. i hardly have any real explanations, don't like them much either, the visual doesn't need to be replaced by words or concepts, the visual is the pure form of my expression and in painting the only place where it can excist without words but if the painting does express something so strongly that people can't but see it a certain way and it's not in the line of what i feel about it, then i'll change it.
(the words i'm uttering here are not about 'the painting', they are about it's development, the techniques, some things that occupy me while painting, and the why's of certain changes)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Apr 2007, 5:32 pm

very interesting, say what syle is that?

Ultramarine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2007, 3:21 am

Hi - I like your painting and how it's developing...so it's acrylic and you are going to possibly paint in oil over it?

Does that work OK? I work in oils so I just always get a bit paranoid about mixing mediums. Oil may be OK over acrylic, but you can't paint over oil with acrylic is my understanding.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 5:13 pm

Ultramarine wrote:
Hi - I like your painting and how it's developing...so it's acrylic and you are going to possibly paint in oil over it?

Does that work OK? I work in oils so I just always get a bit paranoid about mixing mediums. Oil may be OK over acrylic, but you can't paint over oil with acrylic is my understanding.

thanks! :D
it's like you're saying, you can do oil over acrylics but not the other way around (or you could do it for the sake of experiment and end up with some strange texture perhaps)

i hope i can make it progress a little more but with the exams in the near future i think my hope is iddle (for the time being)

it's nice to see that people like this kind of approach, also strange to live this moments with others, especially when i'm not doing well (i don't dare to show that before it is going right again) but i'm confident it will all work out
sometimes moments like this (uncertainty about certain aspects of the painting) make me decide a rather radical change, i wanted to give her some little tubes in the beginning, but as she was i never did it, maybe this idea will take form anyway, or maybe not, don't know yet.

Brundisium
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2007, 2:43 am

Make sure you keep us posted!

I love it!

:D

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 5:36 pm

thanks brundisium!

so here we go ...

the first one being really akward, it has been driving me almost insane :?
so as said i changed the 'keyhole' and was trying to change the skin, but it only got worse, i f***ed up the eyebrows as well and the face got something very hard.
but for the sake of correctness i do post it, just to show that there are also steps that prove hard. (otherwise i'd just love to forget about it)

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 5:40 pm

after that i have tried to change the skin again, applying about 10-20 layers of paint with a lot of water, hoping that the colour would change into something decent.
you can see a half-dried red layer here.
i also decided to get rid of the eyebrows altogether to repaint them

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 5:42 pm

after all these layers i had some strange skin, like a woman with a mask of clay or something. i was satisfied with the softened effect but not with the skin.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 5:58 pm

and i ended up with some white but still broken texture

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 6:01 pm

knowing that i had to adjust some things (like the nose that i had damaged a little with all these layers) and the decission whether i should keep this strange skin (which had some kind of interesting texture as well)

i suddenly decided to turn her face a little, i only remember vaguely why i did it, think it had something to do with the nose, which i liked at a certain moment when restoring it but realised that it was more in three quarters than in full front-side, so maybe that's why i changed the face to fit some state of the nose.

as you can see, not all things are already adapted to the 3/4 state at the moment

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 6:29 pm

you certainly have Talent Lemon...

Bravo!

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:33 pm

Lemon,

This is fun to watch.