If someone asks you what was said in a conversation

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 7:17 pm

If someone asks you what was said in a conversation, are you able to repeat verbatim was said? I never am. I only ever remember the general feelings and images of what was said, not the actual words. This usually presents a problem when I am asked someone what another person said to me in a conversation, often because I find it difficult to translate those feelings and images back into words to answer their question. Is anyone else like this?

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:12 pm

I think I can recall what I said because I don't say that much..sometimes I never say any thing all they long.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:16 pm

I mean all day long..

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2015, 8:25 pm

Yes, and frighteningly so. I am like a computer when it comes to words, written or spoken. My visual memory is awful, including for faces, and I find it nearly impossible to visualize a memory. Instead, I "hear" all my memories, with only vague, shadowy visuals. Then I repeat them back word for word, even including the right pauses at the right times.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

i can paraphrase whatever they said, for the most part.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:35 pm

Oh..You mean what others said? No, I cannot. I tend not to focus on what other's saying..So I would never repeat what other said. Usually I think other things while a person is talking to me.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:37 pm

It varies. Sometimes whatever was said just goes into a blur. Sometimes it resurfaces in fragments later on. Other times I remember comments verbatim and they might even repeat over and over in my mind in a really annoying loop.

Sometimes people say things to me, and I look right at them and probably nod in acknowledgement but if they bring it up again later I have no idea what they said.

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2015, 9:06 pm

It depends on the format of the conversation. For the most part, I can recite important points unless it was absolutely scattered.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Sep 2015, 1:29 am

I think in words & learned alot better orally due to a rare low vision disorder so I can usually remember the gist of it for awhile but I use different words due to dyslexia & missing out of little bits of the conversation due to ADD.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 2:21 am

I can't even repeat myself verbatim when asked...

Now if i know i will be asked to do so, i can, since i pay closer attention in that situation, but usually, i only 'notice' the meaning and summary of what is being said, not the words

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2015, 4:44 am

I think I can repeat what has been said in a small group of people, and sometimes also the emotional state of the speakers in that conversation. The bigger the group is, the harder that is for me.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 5:41 am

I can recall some sentences assuming I found them really important or the question triggers my memory for some reason.

I have some kind of "sound recorder" in head which usually records and plays songs I heard (with not just singer voice but also all the music and rhythm) and it also records what someone said to me and what I said. It's useful during taking notes - I can "record" whole sentence and hold it in memory for time long enough to write it down.

Most of the sentences get erased from my memory really fast(and seem like knowledge/feelings/images when I try to recall them) but some stay there and I can repeat them even years later with maybe one or two words alternated with synonyms.

However if someone asks me "What were you talking about?" or "How did it go?" my mind goes blank because I can't make single answer from the voice strings I have in memory. I could repeat some sentences that were said but I won't be able to say what whole talk was about.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 8:14 am

Yes, I can repeat Word by Word, if I was listening. Sometimes it is easier than explaining, what was being said. When communicating about something, I have studied or been very interested in, I often "read aloud" from pages regarding the subject.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 9:43 am

At times I could. Most times, though, I don't have that sort of "verbatim" memory.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 9:49 am

I can usually summarize, but word for word, usually not.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Sep 2015, 8:48 am

hell no, i have barely no short term memory like this and my focus often drifts in and out

i don't even know what people are talking about half the time