I interview Steve Silberman about his bestselling book, Neurotribes

Page 1 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Sep 2015, 2:45 pm

In this incredibly interesting and extremely lengthy interview, I speak with Steve Silberman, the author of NeuroTribes, a fascinating book about the history of autism. If you have any interest in autism, I urge you to buy his book and read the whole thing because it will not only change the way you think about autism but will change your views on society itself and the role society plays in defining disability. NeuroTribes also debunks many of the previously held beliefs about the history of autism, including who discovered the disorder. It also provides examples of how autistics have always ...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 4:13 pm

alex wrote:
  Read Full Article
In this incredibly interesting and extremely lengthy interview, I speak with Steve Silberman, the author of Neurotribes, a fascinating book about the history of autism. If you have any interest in autism, I urge you to buy his book and read the whole thing because it will not only change the way you think about autism but will change your views on society itself and the role society plays in defining disability. Neurotribes also debunks many of the previously held beliefs about the history of autism, including who discovered the disorder. It also provides examples of how autistics have always ...

Writing the book is one thing but that he has gotten much of the mainstream media to promote the message has me quite exited. This has the feel of a turning point. I have wondered why out of all the NT fans of autistic people this guy really seemed to fully get us and your interview answered that. I grew up around the time he did and anybody that was different, anybody that was bullied got called fa***t and queer. At the time the word queer was anything but reclaimed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 4:13 pm

I so share Steve Silberman's hope that ASD people will take control and ownership of the dominant and mainstream ASD narrative. As I see it, a tremendous amount of flow on issues depend on that.

There are many issues in the interview which I will have to read several times to consider them a bit more thoroughly. Great interview!

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Sep 2015, 4:29 pm

B19 wrote:
Great interview!

Thanks! I'm very happy that the book has opened up so many discussions.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm

Alex, thanks for sharing this interview. It's very insightful and a great extension to NeuroTribes.

I also greatly appreciate what Steve is doing. It's fantastic to have such a thorough and thoughtful NT ally.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 5:45 pm

"Reputation management"... :skull: :roll:
Good interview. I read all of it. By good I mean great.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2015, 10:50 pm

Wow, Alex, really good stuff.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2015, 10:39 am

Excellent interview, I will be treating myself to the book for my birthday in a couple of weeks. I remember the 'geeks' wired article too. Fascinating read with the potential to change how we are perceived.

As an aside, I always liked the Sacks story about 'Witty Ticcy Dave(?)' about the guy with Tourette's and when he took the medication to control some of his tics, he simply wasn't himself and everybody missed the real guy, the witty ticcy guy. He stopped the meds and everybody was delighted they got their friend back, tics and all.

Thank you for the write up Alex.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 11:07 am

My copy should be arriving on my doormat tomorrow morning.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 12:51 pm

This could be the start of the groundswell we have been waiting and hoping for. I hope Silberman's book acts as a catalyst to release and mobilise those wonderful ASD gifts that can act transform received ideas into fresh perspectives and understandings that change everything, and people generally look back and realise how ignorant past beliefs were. Reputation management for now is so important, one important early step toward the ultimate achievement of paradigm change. This would progress most rapidly, I think, as a dynamic partnership between people like Silberman - informed, skilled, sympathetic, supportive and willing to share the advocacy and work ahead - and leaders from the spectrum with similar gifts and dedication.

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Sep 2015, 2:08 pm

I think the book has already been immensely powerful in changing the conversation in the media regarding autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

alex wrote:
I think the book has already been immensely powerful in changing the conversation in the media regarding autism.

In the last few weeks after reading media articles a number of times I have had to remind myself that I am not dreaming.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 2:35 pm

I have a dream....!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 3:06 pm

B19 wrote:
I have a dream....!

Ha

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2015, 3:13 pm

The major stumbling block we suffer where we do have incredible intellectual property is the lack of skill at selling ourselves.

Any dumb plonka with a silver tongue can woo the masses out there and even leap frog you and your abilities. Having mastered the world so to speak with my brain, I now have to go out and sell myself (if I am to get any social kudos of the money making skills I have. I might have to give self hypnosis a go.).

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Sep 2015, 4:08 pm

I think our unwillingness to speak out about things also hinders our cause. And when we do speak out we are not always the best at doing so in an appealing way.

trayder wrote:
The major stumbling block we suffer where we do have incredible intellectual property is the lack of skill at selling ourselves.

Any dumb plonka with a silver tongue can woo the masses out there and even leap frog you and your abilities. Having mastered the world so to speak with my brain, I now have to go out and sell myself (if I am to get any social kudos of the money making skills I have. I might have to give self hypnosis a go.).