Is this a good way to self defend?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 9:23 am

Spiderpig wrote:
If you're male, there's isn't a big age difference between your attacker and you, and he is unarmed, aren't you very much universally condemned as a coward if you use any kind of weapon? I've always been under the impression that basically everyone agrees that the fact that you are defending yourself matters zilch as far as this judgement is concerned, and that being afraid of your opponent's physical strength only shows how undeserving you are of any sympathy. Being weak is being unworthy of living, so the fight simply puts you to the test, and only a coward would shrink from the challenge, knowing he doesn't cut it. By showing how easily he destroys you, your attacker shows how morally superior he is to you, too.

Before someone jumps to the opposite conclusion, no, I don't like these ideas, but I see them everywhere, and my opinion doesn't seem to matter much in practical terms. As usual, people seldom bother to make explicit the ultimate logical consequences of the ideas they casually show now and then, and this keeps them from looking as crazy and obsessed as I do, but the consequences are there all the same.

Firstly, who cares? would you not rather be alive and potentially seen as a coward by some than being unversally recognized as the worlds manliest corpse? We are assuming that we are talking about a real, sincere attack, not some BS macho half-show half-duel.

Besides, would you want to be the attacker who was defeated by a seemingly ordinary umbrella?

Secondly, if the other guy is twice my size and filled to the brim with incoherent rage, I may as well be a geriatric for all the good fighting him unarmed like the worlds manliest future corpse. You seem to think that society at large operates on some sort of superficial social Darwinist BS. Humans are incredibly weak compared to other animals. Humans are incredibly smart when compared to other animals. As a consequence of our intelligence, we learned how to work together to overcome tasks we couldn't overcome alone, and we learned how to use tools to do things we couldn't manage without them. And just as he would think twice about attacking you if you hade a bunch of friends with you and he didnt, the same applies if you have a club and he does not. Fight smart, not hard.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 11:20 am

The guys who wanted to beat me up seemed to think I had an unfair advantage. It didn't seem to register that there was two of them, they were about half my age and both had beer bottles. Bullies don't care about a fair fight.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 4:40 pm

No. Unless you're a trained knife fighter, statistically you have a higher chance of injuring yourself as much or more than the other person.

Best to kick/knee them in the crotch and then gtfo of there. If they're too close, use the hardest bone in your body to stun them by head butting them right in the nose. If you're going to get hurt, you may as well get hurt hurting them worse.

These are all tips I learned at a one day self defence class my mother made me take when I was a young teenager.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 2:10 am

the best defense is to not be there. learn to see danger coming before danger sees you. adopt a "thousand yard stare."