Advice or opinions about disclosure at work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 5:43 pm

Hi all. I want to start job-hunting because the company I work for was bought out, cuts have been made in other departments and it's a matter of time before mine's next. This will be my first time job-hunting since being formally diagnosed with AS, so I'm feeling overwhelmed.

While I might look good on paper and be able to land an interview, I don't tend to make good first impressions. I feel like it would be helpful to mention my AS to a prospective employer to explain my lack of eye contact, etc. I'm just not sure how to do it without shooting myself in the foot. My line of work can be competative and there will be plenty of other qualified applicants for any opening.

Even if being open about my AS doesn't bar me from getting a new job, I'm still concerned about the reaction of coworkers, especially since I have had trouble with being harassed (sexually and otherwise) where I work now. I have a fear that letting others know I can't read them well will just make me a better target for this, but I also imagine disclosure could help clear up misunderstandings in other situations.

What kind of experiences have you had? Do the risks outweigh the benefits or vice versa? Any advice would be much appreciated!

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2007, 6:09 pm

Wow this is a really tough question I think. I think if I ever have to find a another job I will tell them at the interview that I have AS. Maybe at the end of the interview when it's wrapping up. Alot of us have troubles on the job because of the social skills. If they knew right from the start, would that just make it easier for everybody maybe?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 8:09 pm

I have usually been able to handle most interviews ok. But, I underwent a damn near meltdown at one which I really desired. The census had flown me down to their HQ, and ran me ragged all day. Towards the end, I was giving somewhat odd answers, and seeming quite ragged. Didn't get the job. I didn't know that I was AS at the time, and I don't know how much help it would have been for me.

As to eye contact, you can pretty much fake it, by looking at the mouth. Practice, people never notice.