Why Aren't Wealthy Arab States Taking In Refugees?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 3:02 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
glebel wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
What woman in her right mind would immigrate to Saudi Arabia?
It's legal for men to kill their spouses and daughters there. They tie concrete blocks to women's feet and drop them in their swimming pools.
Women are better off staying in Syria and hoping a bomb doesn't fall on them.

But the ISIS-controlled areas of Syria aren't better for women than Saudi Arabia.

Do you know that Saudi Arabia is now heading the UN Human Rights Council? :lol:

Oh, I'm not the only one that sees the irony in that? Well, they certainly know about human rights, as they violate them all the time.
I think the main reason that the Gulf States don't take in refugees is that they would destabilize those countries. It's far better from their point of view to destabilize the West.

Gulf States were always so ....obsessed to remain "pure-blood" racially and culturally, there's a strong of Arabian elitism among them - even though their labor is all foreigners they don't even allow standard immigration, they very rarely give a foreigner (even if he's Muslim and Arab-speaker) any citizenship no matter how long you live there.

So they probably see refugees as a threat to this policy for some reason because they are coming as families and they'll probably stay for too long.

For instance, the Saudi government does not recognize dual nationality; it doesn't even allow Saudis to marry non-Saudis (for men and women).

Explains why there is such contempt for the Palestinians there, despite their public verbal and financial support.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 3:20 am

Well, they can admit refugees as "foreign workers", and then force them to do just about anything to survive, since they are afraid of being returned to Syria. Meanwhile, the Saudis can brag about how charitable they are.

Check with Amnesty about the number of Asian housemaids in prison in Saudi Arabia. It's rather amazing how much trouble one can get into cooking and cleaning.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 4:06 am

I heard a rumor they have a rule: "You won't live at cost at another muslim but it's a good thing to live of the non-believers". I am not sure how much truth is in it though.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
glebel wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
What woman in her right mind would immigrate to Saudi Arabia?
It's legal for men to kill their spouses and daughters there. They tie concrete blocks to women's feet and drop them in their swimming pools.
Women are better off staying in Syria and hoping a bomb doesn't fall on them.

But the ISIS-controlled areas of Syria aren't better for women than Saudi Arabia.

Do you know that Saudi Arabia is now heading the UN Human Rights Council? :lol:

Oh, I'm not the only one that sees the irony in that? Well, they certainly know about human rights, as they violate them all the time.
I think the main reason that the Gulf States don't take in refugees is that they would destabilize those countries. It's far better from their point of view to destabilize the West.

Gulf States were always so ....obsessed to remain "pure-blood" racially and culturally, there's a strong of Arabian elitism among them - even though their labor is all foreigners they don't even allow standard immigration, they very rarely give a foreigner (even if he's Muslim and Arab-speaker) any citizenship no matter how long you live there.

So they probably see refugees as a threat to this policy for some reason because they are coming as families and they'll probably stay for too long.

For instance, the Saudi government does not recognize dual nationality; it doesn't even allow Saudis to marry non-Saudis (for men and women).

Explains why there is such contempt for the Palestinians there, despite their public verbal and financial support.

Gulf states are descendants of pure Arabian civilizations, Levant countries are descendants from Aramaic/Syriac/Hebrew (all has a common ancestor langauge: Phoenician/Canaanite) civilizaions and Maghreb countries from Punic(Phoenician)/Berber civilizations - then they all got Islamized and Arabized; Arabic replaced easily those ancient Semitic languages (even Ancient Egyptian which has parallel roots with Semitic languages) because ancient Arabic was closely related to them (Direct descendant of Syriac). Non-Semitic speaking civilizations such as the Persians, Kurds and Turks resisted Arabization despite their submission to Islam due to the huge linguistic difference.

History explains why the cultural gap, why else do you think for instance among all Arabic-speaking countries only the Gulf states adopt this White-for-Men/Black-for-Women dress code? (even tho this is changing in Kuwait, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar, the black abaya is becoming not compulsory lately for women there http://www.visit-kuwait.com/living/dres ... uwait.aspx, but it had been so for so long)

I don't think Spain and Mexico are so culturally similar, and I don't think many Spanish would like the idea of welcoming hordes of Mexicans and nationalize them, except Saudi Arabia takes this attitude even more extreme.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 12:19 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I don't think Spain and Mexico are so culturally similar, and I don't think many Spanish would like the idea of welcoming hordes of Mexicans and nationalize them, except Saudi Arabia takes this attitude even more extreme.

Actually, there are a lot of South Americans living in Spain. They are culturally similiar, and share a language and religion, which is why a lot of people who fled oppression in for example Chile ended up in Spain. Hordes? No, but Saudi Arabia doesn't accept anybody. You think Europeans have more in common with the Syrians than Arabs?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 2:28 am

underwater wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Actually, there are a lot of South Americans living in Spain. They are culturally similar, and share a language and religion, which is why a lot of people who fled oppression in for example Chile ended up in Spain. Hordes? No, but Saudi Arabia doesn't accept anybody. You think Europeans have more in common with the Syrians than Arabs?

According to sources, there are very few Mexicans in Spain (around 16000 only), the few ones there are usually of White descendant (Spanish) and very wealthy, there are more Argentinians there and they are among the most European-looking of southern America.

Mexico and Spain share same religion, same language, but they don't seem identical cultures at all.

Quote:
You think Europeans have more in common with the Syrians than Arabs?

For a not veiled Syrian woman (and even the scarf-veiled or partially veiled only) who would suddenly feel obliged to cover herself entirely from head to toe, and be degraded to a 10th level citizen, I would dare to say yes, she would certainly feel having more in common with Europeans than Saudi Arabs.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 3:21 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
For a not veiled Syrian woman (and even the scarf-veiled or partially veiled only) who would suddenly feel obliged to cover herself entirely from head to toe, and be degraded to a 10th level citizen, I would dare to say yes, she would certainly feel having more in common with Europeans than Saudi Arabs.

Fair enough. I remember someone remarking that Japan is the closest you can get to living on another planet, but Saudi Arabia is a strong contender. I just don't think that Europeans are feeling the love. Right now everybody is feeling charitable. Who knows how long it will last?

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:07 pm

underwater wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Fair enough. I remember someone remarking that Japan is the closest you can get to living on another planet, but Saudi Arabia is a strong contender. I just don't think that Europeans are feeling the love. Right now everybody is feeling charitable. Who knows how long it will last?

Not long. 800,000 people from a radically different culture can't help but lead to a disruption of Germany. It will be an unholy mess.