Is "Hypokalemic sensory overstimulation" a form of Autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ylevental
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2015, 5:27 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypokalem ... timulation

Quote:
Hypokalemic sensory overstimulation is a form of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder that has several similarities to disorders of ion channels, in particular to the muscle disorder hypokalemic periodic paralysis.

The most prominent feature of hypokalemic sensory overstimulation is the feeling of sensory overstimulation that is characteristic of attention deficit disorder. In hypokalemic sensory overstimulation, the sensory overstimulation goes away abruptly after taking potassium supplements; one person described the disappearance of the sensory overstimulation as being “as if a shade had been pulled down” 20 minutes after she took a dose of oral potassium.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 6:18 am

Looks like potassium helps it and I don't think that happens in autism.

ylevental
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2015, 6:31 am

iliketrees wrote:
Looks like potassium helps it and I don't think that happens in autism.

I'm surprised you say that, many autistics are overstimulated

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 6:42 am

Intense World theory of Autism

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 6:43 am

I am, yes. But will potassium help? I'm not sure, I'll have to try eating a banana next time I get overwhelmed.

ylevental
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2015, 7:07 am

iliketrees wrote:
I am, yes. But will potassium help? I'm not sure, I'll have to try eating a banana next time I get overwhelmed.

I would like to hear about it.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 3:38 pm

It is not a form of autism, but a problem which afflicts many autistic people.

If you want to find out a little more about some of the cofactors in layman's terms, then watch the last 20 minutes of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1dEj6A4ro

This is a small tip-of-the-iceberg study, mentioning one of the cofactors:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18174562

This is an outdated request for research aimed at creating a treatment approach which could be used for people with variants of the disorder (it is currently being revised):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4xiTT ... NTS0E/view

The researcher is autistic, and she is currently writing a book on the role of iNOS/nNOS in sensory optimisation, which will be provided to doctors treating autistic patients who suffer from sensory overstimulation.

I have been successfully treated for sensory overload. I don't suffer from it anymore. I do manage myself as well, to prevent it from recurring.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 3:42 pm

PS: This quiz also explains some of the basics. It's quite simplistic, and it doesn't cover all the cofactors, but at least it gets the learning started.