Adults: do people ever treat you like a child?

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 12:35 pm

Nicola2206 wrote:
Does it ever happen to you? If yes, how do you react?

Yes. How I react depends on the person/circumstance and in what way I am being treated like a child.

If someone is being extra nice to me, protective of me, or unusually/overly helpful but without being condescending or disrespectful, that is usually fine and sometimes exactly what I need or something I appreciate. If it's not something I need or want, the worst case scenario is that I might feel impatient/frustrated with un-needed help or be uncomfortable or confused.

If someone is being condescending, trying to control my decisions, or refusing to acknowledge my autonomy, discounting/dismissing my experience or self-knowledge, then I am offended. I will get more upset about it the closer someone is to me and/or the more power they have in the interaction/relationship.

Love transcends all.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 8:05 pm

Yes, my family does it to me all the time. :x

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 9:17 pm

yes and i hate it "with a passion".

this is actually a topic i have been ranting about to my "folks" for a while now:

"he is mute, so he must be ret*d and needs to be pampered and protected"
the vibe i get wherever i go.

i can't even goto the doctors because of how disrespectful they are to me because of their ignorance.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 9:21 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
yes and i hate it "with a passion".

this is actually a topic i have been ranting about to my "folks" for a while now:

"he is mute, so he must be ret*d and needs to be pampered and protected"
the vibe i get wherever i go.

i can't even goto the doctors because of how disrespectful they are to me because of their ignorance.

Yeah I would imagine people on the "classic" end of the spectrum would get it much worse than those on the other end. Perhaps you should keep a bag of bananas with you and offer one to them every time they do something ignorant.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 9:22 pm

double post-- cloudflare mishap.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 9:49 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Perhaps you should keep a bag of bananas with you and offer one to them every time they do something ignorant.

huh!? :lol:

also, that would be a lot of bananas.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 10:19 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Perhaps you should keep a bag of bananas with you and offer one to them every time they do something ignorant.

huh!? :lol:

also, that would be a lot of bananas.

...since they're acting like ignorant apes perhaps they'd like a banana...

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2015, 2:10 am

Better than Banannas,
Adam should offer his folks and docs some cheese to go with their whine.
(I've issued that statement a few times to those who criticised my oral skills.)

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 12:28 pm

i think repeatedly handing people food would make me look "crazy" and would make things worse.

but i am sure you guys are just joking.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 1:06 pm

You know, it's not like you need to be a non-human primate to like bananas. Though I'd suspect they're, at the very least, laced with some powerful laxative.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

GoodSenseAmelia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2015, 1:15 pm

I am nearly 30 and look like a teen... my only defense is to go all technical on an ignoramus... though I find the pressure brings out the stutter sometimes. Above that, I will go on google maps and leave reviews that say the company and its staff are ignorant and treat disabled people poorly. I really hate advocating for myself though because then, I'm in bed all the next day with stress sickness... so unfortunately, I "let it go" more than I should. Sometimes I just quit going (to whatever it was.)

I've had people tell others that I'm Aspie before I meet them and then they ask me things like, "Do you like ponds, Amelia?" and I'm like, "It depends on the level of pollution in the water, but I was a competitive swimmer in school, so generally I like water, yes." And then I enjoy the stare; this is the fruit of my labor. I love creating the confusion that leads to learning.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 2:42 pm

What would really surprise me is to be able to give a reply like that without being interrupted before the third word, or the other person turning their attention to something else and ignoring me.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 8:57 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
What would really surprise me is to be able to give a reply like that without being interrupted before the third word, or the other person turning their attention to something else and ignoring me.

yes!

i feel i have to constantly wave in their face (or if i am annoyed, physically move there head to face me)
sign concept for "focus" as in: "hey! i am not done! pay attention!"

mostly i try to keep what i am trying to communicate in as few signs as possible. keeping my folks focused on me for more than 2 signs is very difficult.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 9:54 pm

I don't think it's fair that children get to do certain things like picking out a small toy at the dentist's office or go trick-or-treating on Halloween but adults aren't supposed to. Adults never get to have any fun. What is supposed to be fun for adults is more like work, and most of the time the grown-ups aren't really up to it because they're too tired and stressed from work and all their many other responsibilities. It stinks.

Yeah sometimes I wish I was treated more like a child, but in a good way. I don't mean stupid embarrassing stuff like being asked did I wash my hands after going potty and bwushing my teefy-weefies. :P

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2015, 3:39 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't think it's fair that children get to do certain things like picking out a small toy at the dentist's office or go trick-or-treating on Halloween but adults aren't supposed to.

Yeah sometimes I wish I was treated more like a child, but in a good way. I don't mean stupid embarrassing stuff like being asked did I wash my hands after going potty and bwushing my teefy-weefies. :P

I've returned to "trick AND treating" on Halloween (as I call it), but only to places of those that know me well.
If I know a particular medical practisioner hands out rewards or treats to kids, I'll conjure up the "balls" to ask for one, and most of the time they'll give it to me, especially after seeing the way I act and dress.
FWIW, when someone mentions the term "potty" to me, I'll act like I'm not sure what they're talking about and say something way off the wall like, "Oh, I don't smoke it, I can't stand the stinch of weed." :tongue:

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 4:26 am

All the time and I am sick of it and I am a adult. I have had enough of it so I am starting to fight back.