I am a female and I think he doesn't deserve this 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
I am a male and I think he doesn't deserve this 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 16

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 3:11 am

http://time.com/3917390/science-chauvin ... ge-london/

The official quotes Sir Tim as saying: “It’s strange that such a chauvinist monster like me has been asked to speak to women scientists. Let me tell you about my trouble with girls. Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry. Perhaps we should make separate labs for boys and girls?

“Now seriously, I’m impressed by the economic development of Korea. And women scientists played, without doubt an important role in it. Science needs women and you should do science despite all the obstacles, and despite monsters like me.”

Note that his female coworkers cam to his defense.

Note that he met his wife in lab, so the bad joke is related to this.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 3:50 am

Absurd "outrages" like this and Shirtgate are profoundly ridiculous, and I'm amazed any thinking person can take them seriously.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 10:20 am

Last bad haircut I got, she was Korean.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 11:01 am

Tim Hunt and his wife were even interviewed and they said that people tend to overreact and that it was better to resign than to be terrorized by SJWs for the rest of their lives.

Political correctness often goes too far because tyrants try to force a "tolerant" society when in fact they tend to take everything too seriously up to the point that they want to censor the opinions of others. Christina Hoff Sommers is one of the feminists who actually found the reactions of people regarding Tim Hunts remarks to be ridiculous and that even she understood that he was just joking.

When it comes to feminism, you got radical feminist SJWs who yell the loudest and then you got the equality feminists who believe that the former is full of control freaks who want to ruin the facade of feminism.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 1:04 pm

Hair trigger political correctness has replaced any sense of nuance in too many facets of society. :?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 1:40 pm

Boo you could write headlines for tabloids :lol:

There is a degree of self-satire in his comment. Ill advised, but how does it advance science to fire him?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 2:00 pm

I could understand Richard Dawkins' remarks were offensive, but this? It was too unfair.

And he was selectively quoted in the media, most news omitted the second part of the quote; making him sounds he's promoting gender segregation in labs, what a sad loss of bright brain over something silly like that.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 2:16 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I could understand Richard Dawkins' remarks were offensive, but this? It was too unfair.

Having looked into elevator gate, I can kind of understand why someone would satire it.

"creepiness" is subjective. Ok maybe an elevator is not the best place to ask someone for coffee, but is everyone expected to behave in a proscribed way becuase it might offend or creep someone out?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 2:57 pm

So.. coed labs create the wrong kind of 'chemistry'?

Lol!

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 10:04 pm

From what I've read, he's a scientist not some PR master. Yes, he grew up and spent most of his career in a very male-centric environment that overtly excluded women to some good degree. That said, again from what I've read that statement of his was meant to be facetious & self-depreciating but fell flat in the media. Possibly because of a growing awareness that women really *do* have a difficult time in some science fields because an old boys network still very much exists. However, I've yet to read that he has a reputation for being overtly sexist compared to others in his field; take that as you may.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 10:13 pm

His comments were inappropriate, and he should lose his honorary position.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 2:54 pm

AspE wrote:
His comments were inappropriate, and he should lose his honorary position.

It would be nice if the entire realm of STEM fields would realize that what he said is a result of the culture within. He spent his life steeped in that culture and due to privilege likely thought that even as snark or sarcasm the lines would be taken as humorous. I honestly don't think it would help to revoke the position of someone who is willing to speak out for women in his field and against sexism? Or has he said other things?