Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 10:16 am

On a recent episode of SNL, the cast took another pot shot at Rachel Dolezal by parodying her in a skit with Miley Cyrus singing My Way. Whenever I think of Dolezal, everyone who has changed their identity comes to mind, including Caitlyn Jenner, yet she was missing from this parody skit. I got annoyed at the double standard that is so obvious to me whenever someone discredits or ridicules Dolezal in the media and I even saw a black drag queen doing this while at the same time staunchly defending anyone who wishes to change their gender identity. It's so irritating that people who wish to change their gender identity would pounce on Dolezal. Why don't they understand it's the same thing? Why is it okay for a male to change identity to female but, as far as the media is concerned, everything else is sacred, as in, a black person cannot change to white, nor can a white change to black, regardless of how badly they may wish to. They face the worst kind of ridicule and scorn for even thinking of abandoning their "race" a term some say doesn't even exist anyway yet the media lauds to the sky anyone wishing to change gender. People who dress or act like another race face the worst kind of discrimination from both the race they wish to leave and the one they want to be. They are humiliated and shamed by members of their birth race for not being proud of "who they are" and attacked by members of the race they want to identify under the assumption they are only doing it to gain in some way or are mocking the other gender by imitating them while not being "truly" a member. It's exactly what the transgendered face - the assumption they are not proud of their identity and they must become proud. This is seen as the remedy by antiquated, closed minds and the transgender community is quick to denounce it but some hold the same ideas about those who are not comfortable with their race.
People who wish to identify with a different race have no one in their corner and are attacked by everyone, even those who should understand, the drag queens and transgenders. It should be uniting, not dividing, but people still dismiss bigotry when it comes to race change. I just don't get why passionate, anti bigotry folks would jump on the bigotry band wagon just because they see a bunch of bigots bashing someone like Dolezal. Defies reason.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 10:24 am

Michael Jackson.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 10:26 am

Inventor wrote:
Michael Jackson.

He's another example and I am sure he suffered psychologically from people's reactions to the surgeries and pigmentation treatments.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 2:05 pm

Hardly comparable: Katlyn Jenner, and Dolezal.

Jenner was upfront about it. Did an interview for an hour on national TV with Dianne Sawyer. Walked the whole nation through her/his whole train of thought about it-and whole life story -about how he wanted to be a she since childhood- and acknowledged that its hard for the rest of us to understand, etc.

Dolezal was very underhanded about it in a way that suggested that she was either lying to others, or was lying to herself thus giving the appearance of being either deceitful, or being delusional, or being both. If she had said been upfront and said " My parents were both White, and I am of 100 percent European ancestry, and zero percent subsaharan African ancestry. But I still call myself 'Black. What are you gonna do about it?'" then you might be able to put her in the same category as Kaitlyn Jenner, and expect sympathy from the transgender.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 2:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Hardly comparable: Katlyn Jenner, and Dolezal.

Jenner was upfront about it. Did an interview for an hour on national TV with Dianne Sawyer. Walked the whole nation through her/his whole train of thought about it-and whole life story -about how he wanted to be a she since childhood- and acknowledged that its hard for the rest of us to understand, etc.

Dolezal was very underhanded about it in a way that suggested that she was either lying to others, or was lying to herself thus giving the appearance of being either deceitful, or being delusional, or being both. If she had said been upfront and said " My parents were both White, and I am of 100 percent European ancestry, and zero percent subsaharan African ancestry. But I still call myself 'Black. What are you gonna do about it?'" then you might be able to put her in the same ategory as Kaitlyn Jenner, and expect sympathy from the transgender.

Transgendered have come a long way and do not have to hide anymore. Transracial still cannot be upfront about it. I wonder how many people share the dilemma of Rachel Dolezal as they go through their lives saying they are black when they aren't or vice versa? Bet it happens more than you think. Should they be ostracized and crucified for it?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 2:17 pm

Does this mean human beings are by nature bigots and will simply cherry pick their bigotry? In other words, some people are bigoted about the transgendered while others are about race, or sex, or transracial and on and on. Is everyone bigoted about something? Do they only grandstand anti bigotry when it serves themselves in some way but when they see a vulnerable target, they are fair game for bigotry as long as it doesn't hurt the one showing bigotry? If it does hurt, then bigotry is a huge crime, an unpardonable sin and they diva on about it like it's the end of the world.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 2:21 pm

Maybe people are dumping on her because she did what she did to enhance her career. She stood to gain if she got away with it.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Oct 2015, 3:30 pm

It's simple. Racial dysphoria is not a real thing, whereas gender dysphoria is.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 3:34 pm

The_Walrus wrote:

This. You cannot be born into the wrong race. It's lunacy to believe that people think they are.

Same with the whole thinking they are a dragon, or crap like that. It's very weird.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm

The_Walrus wrote:

See, that's the thing. You are saying the same things those with gender dysmorphia used to hear. Why should you or I make the assumption racial dysmorphia isn't real? Transgendered say gender dysmorphia is so why be so closed minded about the possibility of racial dysmorphia? People want to take cheap shots at them just because no one stands up and protects them the way they are willing to with gender dysmorphia so I am going to be the one who defends them from opportunists who want to aim their bigotry towards them.\
Some people believe gender dysmorphia can be corrected and if their child has it they send them to behavioral therapy to get them to accept and be proud of who they were born as. Many transgendered disagree with this approach, insisting expressing who they feel they really are without experiencing bigotry from others is the only way to be a sane, functional member of society.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 4:06 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

This. You cannot be born into the wrong race. It's lunacy to believe that people think they are.

Same with the whole thinking they are a dragon, or crap like that. It's very weird.

But what is race? And how do you know someone with racial dysmorphia isn't responding to a buried gene from an ancestor who was the race they want to be?

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 4:09 pm

Race is your skin color. You cannot change that.

I don't see how this can be an argument.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 4:23 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:

That's not so. I see members of Native American tribes who look anglo as anyone from Europe yet they identify as Native American.

Also, there's people who have a black grandparent who look anglo and identify that way. No one questions it.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 4:33 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

That's not so. I see members of Native American tribes who look anglo as anyone from Europe yet they identify as Native American.

Also, there's people who have a black grandparent who look anglo and identify that way. No one questions it.

Frankly, a lot of these white people trying to pass themselves off as Indians are pathetic. I am 1/8th Algonquin and I don't identify with my great-grandmother's tribe at all, but rather I identify with my culture (Great Lakes French/English). The Algonquin blood is just another genetic component in my makeup. :roll:

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 4:59 pm

glebel wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

Frankly, a lot of these white people trying to pass themselves off as Indians are pathetic. I am 1/8th Algonquin and I don't identify with my great-grandmother's tribe at all, but rather I identify with my culture (Great Lakes French/English). The Algonquin blood is just another genetic component in my makeup. :roll:

And now, no doubt, the P.C. Warriors are going to raise hell because I said 'Indian'.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 5:03 pm

glebel wrote:
glebel wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

And now, no doubt, the P.C. Warriors are going to raise hell because I said 'Indian'.

Pffft where I live in Indian Country it is common to say Indian and we still call Indian Country Indian Country so it's accepted here. Redskin isn't.