Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:41 am

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername wrote:
To be honest I'm not entirely sure anymore. I was raised (non-Lutheran) protestant Christian, and I still very much like the core idea of Christianity (i.e. God being loving to the point of self sacrifice), but on the other hand a lot of Christianity in western culture kind of rubs me the wrong way. It is, at once, too self-assured that all of the answers are contained within their particular way of looking at a collection of odds and ends written a very long time ago (not to knock the Bible, there are some very good pearls of wisdom in there if you know where to look), and too ready to dismiss the spirit of the message for the letter...

That was one of the reasons I got away from at least anything organized for a while. I had the chance to read the bible a couple times and I had the suspicion confirmed that there was a considerably more profound cycle of content beneath the letter, particularly in the mystical symbolism, that snapped things into a very different sort of context than I was expecting when I found some active leads on it (or at least what seemed to answer the puzzle to my best satisfaction).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 2:06 am

I have none, I dont believe in mythology, and all religion is is mythology? Dont believe me?You don't have to, but there is Greek Mythology, Norse mythology and their gods as well. The Bible, Torah and Quoran are no different its all mythology!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2015, 8:15 am

I am an Advaita Vedantin - a branch of Hinduism. It is a form of solipsism (not nihilism), which sees the universe as an 'illusion' (Mithya) manifested through the duality of cause and effect.

We don't really believe in God, but some of us will use an idealised or stylised notion of a 'supreme being', as a stepping stone towards the final realisation of unity with an all-pervading consciousness (i.e using 'God' to experience 'God').

Whenever there is a belief in God, there exists the 'believer' and the 'believed'...which again, is duality (dvaita).

When the individual consciousness (soul/atman etc) loses any framework of self-identification, it becomes merged or immersed in an all-pervading consciousness (Mahadeva/Brahman)...this immersion is called non-duality (advaita).

The 'vedanta' part outlines the holy scriptures in which to find the knowledge about the process of achievement (e.g Upanishads).

So, yes, I 'sort of' believe in God...until such times as I become God.

Here is some more information about it (and I really need to start practicing again...because the internet is like an 'illusion within the illusion'):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advaita_Vedanta

I bet you guys didn't expect that from me huh? lol

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2015, 7:51 pm

Agnostic atheism seems the most logical to me.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 3:42 pm

I want to believe. Doesn't seem like I can though. Partly because of my own life. Where I can't connect with others or share my love. Instead caring about people hurts every time.

More than that though is the history of religion. I'm not an expert but I know enough to understand it. How religions steal from each other and then demonize the faith they took from. If the Bible was at least morally sound that might justify overlooking everything else. Yet it's full of misogyny, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc.

I miss being able to think of church people as family. But even if I do personally feel that way, I'd just be lying to say I believe the same as they do. So to them I'm not family. To them I'm a stranger just like I am to the rest of the world.

God might be real but, if that's the case, God seems very distant right now.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 6:38 pm

Transyl wrote:
I want to believe. Doesn't seem like I can though. Partly because of my own life. Where I can't connect with others or share my love. Instead caring about people hurts every time.

More than that though is the history of religion. I'm not an expert but I know enough to understand it. How religions steal from each other and then demonize the faith they took from. If the Bible was at least morally sound that might justify overlooking everything else. Yet it's full of misogyny, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc.

I miss being able to think of church people as family. But even if I do personally feel that way, I'd just be lying to say I believe the same as they do. So to them I'm not family. To them I'm a stranger just like I am to the rest of the world.

God might be real but, if that's the case, God seems very distant right now.
I'm very sorry to hear that... I hope you find your family soon.... :( I can understand what you're going through, but I can only tell you that you should learn from failure and never, ever give up. That's how it worked for me.... I would get demonized left and right and beaten down and I thought i was me against the world, and now people don't even think I have autism when meeting me...

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 6:39 pm

I've just begun converting to Judaism... I've FINALLY found meaning and truth....

GreenPandaLord
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2015, 6:55 pm

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. Or Mormon as is our nickname.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2015, 3:19 am

GreenPandaLord wrote:
I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. Or Mormon as is our nickname.

I married one of those! (Inactive, of course).

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 10:05 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear that... I hope you find your family soon.... :( I can understand what you're going through, but I can only tell you that you should learn from failure and never, ever give up. That's how it worked for me.... I would get demonized left and right and beaten down and I thought i was me against the world, and now people don't even think I have autism when meeting me...
Thanks. I appreciate it a lot. At the moment I feel less dispirited. I'm in a better frame of mind and I'll try to stay that way. May Hashem bless you!

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 10:29 pm

99.9% atheist. .1% agnostic. was a born again presbyterian for most of my young life. then while practicing proselytizing with friends, i took the role of non-believer so they could "save" me. i won all the arguments even though i didn't want to. started questioning, which finally culminated in the realization that i had worked with patients for years and seen not one miracle healing. i still enjoy church music and many of my christian friends don't know i've changed. they needn't worry over my non-existent immortal soul. my favorite atheist book is "why i am not a christian" by bertrand russell.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 4:17 pm

Transyl wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate it a lot. At the moment I feel less dispirited. I'm in a better frame of mind and I'll try to stay that way. May Hashem bless you!
your welcome.... :) and thank you :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 11:03 am

cathylynn wrote:
99.9% atheist. .1% agnostic. was a born again presbyterian for most of my young life. then while practicing proselytizing with friends, i took the role of non-believer so they could "save" me. i won all the arguments even though i didn't want to. started questioning, which finally culminated in the realization that i had worked with patients for years and seen not one miracle healing. i still enjoy church music and many of my christian friends don't know i've changed. they needn't worry over my non-existent immortal soul. my favorite atheist book is "why i am not a christian" by bertrand russell.

I wasn't aware there were any born again Presbyterians who believed in faith healing. I always pictured them all as rather mainline.

depressedjiggers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2015, 4:05 am

I had weird hobbies when I was little. I like reading Old English stuff. I eventually started reading the Bible, being the only one in my family who actually read it (My whole family's Roman Catholic). Then I came across some messed up stuff in it, like it's okay beating up your slaves as long as they don't die, for they are your money, people with tattoos won't be able to go to heaven, etc. The Bible also seem to degrade women. It eventually came to me that Christians don't actually read the Bible.

That aside, living with autism can lead to a very tough life. I (probably) have AS, but I still don't see the point of having special talents, but you can't actually make the best of it because your lack of social skills is holding you back.

Not to mention about how religion and science will never coexist.
I can safely say that I'm an atheist.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2015, 9:27 pm

Agnostic/Jewish.