This woman gave a speech on autism in my speech class today

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PhoenixFalcon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2015, 9:41 pm

It was going all well and good until she decided to go ahead and call autism a "horrible disease."

Keep in mind that this woman wants to actually help and assist children with autism. How's she supposed to understand what they're going through if she treats autism like its goddamn schizophrenia? (No offense to any schizophrenics reading this.)

Then again, she apparently got her information from AutismSpeaks, so...

Last edited by PhoenixFalcon on 05 Oct 2015, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 9:52 pm

PhoenixFalcon wrote:
It was going all well and good until she decided to go ahead and call autism a "horrible disease."

Keep in mind that this woman wants to actually help and assist children with autism. How's she supposed to understand what they're going through if she treats autism like its goddamn schizophrenia? (No offense to any schizophrenics reading this.)

Then again, she apparently got her information from AutismSpeaks, so...

ummm your heading is "girl" then you refer to the person as a "woman" so how old is this person?
If it's a kid then you have to excuse her.

PhoenixFalcon

05 Oct 2015, 10:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ummm your heading is "girl" then you refer to the person as a "woman" so how old is this person?
If it's a kid then you have to excuse her.

I tend to use the terms "woman" and "girl" interchangeably, especially when it comes to an educational context. However I realize that might lead to confusion, so I changed the post for clarity.

(It's a college level speech class by the way.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 10:49 pm

Is she aware that you're on the spectrum?

PhoenixFalcon

06 Oct 2015, 9:13 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Is she aware that you're on the spectrum?

No, but I did let her know that I was after she made her comment.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 9:24 am

I don't think this is an uncommon misconception. I used to work with someone who had over a decade experience in a position dealing with young people with special needs and behavioural issues. This person believed that Autism is a mental illness.

GoodSenseAmelia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2015, 1:28 pm

You're in class with her, so it's your job to school her and I'm glad you did so. I think this goes for all of us. I have been asked to participate in starting a youth center in my town for kids on the spectrum.... and yet the person who is in charge of all this was fighting a kid with ADHD on wearing scratchy socks. I'm wondering, do you want to create a safe place to be Autistic/different or do you want to enforce neurotypical expectations with an iron fist? I have found that even well meaning NTs often make mistakes because they have bad info (thanks Autism Speaks!) or they simply do not fully understand what an ASD is. They have likely spent exactly zero time with an Autistic person or they know one and they they know all of us. When I was in group living, I lived with 8 other people on the spectrum and we were ALL OVER the place! Some of us were genius, some delayed, some average, some non-verbal, some highly verbal, some messy, some clean. I think the only thing we all had in common is that we were all hot all the time, lol.

I'm attaching a link to a couple videos I made that I'd like you to have her watch. Thanks for sharing this story of ignorance. Together we will find acceptance in this ridiculous world.

https://youtu.be/_D5xGJzXK0I (Acceptance)
https://youtu.be/pD1mRabFDsA (How to Diagnose Neurotypicals)

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 11:20 am

Well firstly it's not a disease....

Surely she must know the difference between a disorder, a syndrome and a disease...!

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.