How many times have you been to the ER?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 9:54 am

At 5, I had stitches on my eyelid.

At 24, I had a seizure.

At 33, I had a severe case of the flu that made me pass out.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 11:21 am

Too many to count. When I was very young, I used to get spiking fevers frequently. I remember being taken in and given ice or alcohol baths.

Somewhere along the line I had scarlet fever.

At five I had to go in because I had an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic.

At 10 I fell off a horse while riding. Later that year I was rushed in for my appendix.

At 18 I was in a car accident and had a double fracture in my pelvis.

Once for passing out in an elevator after oral surgery.

Twice after other surgery.

I've also had all kinds of mishaps. My toes and hands are all scarred up from banging them into things. I've fallen out of bunk beds, off the fronts of sleds and been run over, and out of trees. I was hit by a bat in the solarplexus when I was very littel for walking into the place where the next batter was warming up. Both of my hands have been shut in doors and I've lost all of my fingernails except my thumb nails over it. They did grow back, but have problems to this day. Been hit in the head with a stone while my brothers and their friends were having a mock battle. Scalp wounds bleed alot and scare the boys. It's good for high drama.

Seriously, there were so many I can't think of them all. I think I would have ended up in emergency more frequently but back then parents didn't do that unless they thought you would have permanent damage or die.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 12:56 pm

never to the ER as a child, it just wasn't done, that I know about. I did react explosively to the cowpox, diptheria and some other regular vaccine and my arm and shoulder swelled up something terrible, accompanied by a heavy fever, that I do remember, but I just went to the dr's for it at his normal hours. I did go to the dr's for emergency things like gouging my calf in a screen door ( a bit of the flashing was bent, making the aluminum sharp) and once when I had a hand full of firecrackers go off on a Saturday, mom took me to the dr's on the next Monday to get a tetnus shot. Mom and dad didn't like to take me to the dr's because they asked about other bruises and stuff. But not to an emergency room.

When I had kidney stones at 8 months pregnant, I went from the Louisville (TX) Pop Festival to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas and was in the same er room as JFK (there was a plaque on the door) and then when I threw myself off my bike going 30 mph trying to kill myself in 1980. broke my back in 5 places and put a huge gash on my cheek, eyebrow to under the chin they took me to the emergency room. oh, yeah, and once when they found me drunk and passed out on a side street in Berkeley they took me to Highland Hospital in Oakland to sober up and give me 'the talk' before I was outta there.

so I would have to say 2 times altogether.

Merle

08 Apr 2007, 2:46 pm

I went into ER when I couldn't pee.

I think my mother took me into one when I was 5 because I had an ear infection so she told me she was taking me to the hospital and out we went. I don't think she had an appointment.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 2:47 pm

Hmm.. In 2006 I went there 5 times. All for suicide stuff. Got to ride in an ambulance.

Matt_the_Rat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2007, 11:04 am

Let's see...I've broken both wrists on separate occasions, broke my collar bone, and had my appendix removed. So four times.

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2007, 12:50 pm

When I was six I broke my arm. We had barstools at home and I was sitting on one and my foot got caught in the rungs while climbing down, and I caught myself with my arm. Ouch.

All the rest have been fairly recent: Thanksgiving when I was 18 I had horrible bronchitis and my fever wouldn't go down. Obviously you can't see a doctor Thanksgiving weekend so we had to go to the ER.

Then in the following year I had two different incidents of kidney infections combined with menstrual cramps, which caused so much pain I thought I was passing a kidney stone. That was seriously the most pain I have EVER been in. I think I rode in the ambulance one of those times because I didn't have a ride to the hospital.

Then when I was 19 I had to go again for a ruptured ovarian cyst. Those aren't dangerous, but it was on the right side, so it's easily confused with appendicitis, plus they REALLY hurt and pain medicine is welcome.

And I think I had one more trip after that due to ovarian pain that felt like appendicitis. So I guess I never have anything seriously wrong, just stuff that FEELS like it's seriously wrong. I wish my body would be more specific.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 1:01 pm

I dropped a bell on my toe once. This thread just reminded me. It hurt a lot and went purple 8O

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 1:11 pm

Once. Sometime around 1981, I was just out of uni, and rented a house with a couple of drinking mates. Somehow a window got broken during a wild party. The next day I took it upon myself to fix it. I tried to remove the broken bits from the frame with my bare hands. Cut my thumb almost to the bone. The doc sewed it up, but I had to have a surgeon re-attach the tendons and muscles.

I also dropped a transmission on my right hand once. But I just ran cold water over it until it quit hurting. No broken bones that time, amazingly enough.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 7:27 pm

Age 5: smacked my head on an end table and split my head open. Stitches and a permanent scar that splits my left eyebrow diagnally to this day.

Age 15(or was it 16): Walked out into traffic(giving me a fear of crossing the street to this). busted my leg pretty bad. Still have scars on my right ankle. Several months in physical therapy.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 7:35 pm

Oh and once someone pulled a seat out from under me and I fell on the floor and hurt my back. I went to hospital then.

PhoenixTears
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2007, 8:06 pm

um.... I don't think I ever have. Oh, I went once because I got my ankle jaTim went there ommed in one of those exercise bikes. Oh and I went there because Tim was there.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2016, 4:46 pm

I needed stitches to my head after a childhood accident; fortunately, the scar's now quite small and most people don't notice it until/unless I point it out.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 4:32 pm

More times than I can count. Mostly for Seizures.

jrtgirl35
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2016, 7:31 pm

The first time was when I was 11 I was hit by a car and messed up my leg bad I had a little of cartilage damage
The second time was when I had to go in for viral meningitis that time was so not fun
I went in November of 2013 for a concussion I got playing basketball I know it's not a contact sport but yes I still somehow managed to get a concussion.
The last time was about a year ago i had an allergic reaction to the chemicals that were being used in the construction in my office I was rushed out by ambulance I was so embarrassed because now everyone knew me as the kid who got taken out of the office by ambulance 8O 8O

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2016, 12:07 am

A couple of times. One from very young for swelling of the brain and another time recently for extreme bad reaction to medication.