Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2017, 1:15 am

I wouldn't encourage anyone, boy or girl, to "kick some ass".
As a girl, being emotionally bullied by other girls when I was a kid, I sometimes took to violence. The problem was that to the teachers and other students, it looked unprovoked. I felt it was justified to (seemingly out of the blue) throw a chair on that girl that turned everyone else against me. But obviously, it just led to things getting worse.
I got a momentary satisfaction out of getting my revenge, but it wasn't as if it made anyone jump over to my side. Who would defend the kid that beat up the popular girl?

Yes, defending yourself is good and necessary. No, kicking some ass is not the right way to do that.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:49 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
However, when the victim is a boy...

That was a grown man physically assaulting a boy, not exactly comparable to the first video, it seemed to be a more serious situation, with the potential for causing physical and psychological/emotional damage.
The risk for people interjecting was higher than in the girls video. The dad that got involved had the body mass needed to reduce the risks.
It's a fair point that boys can experience more complex negative outcomes from bullying, yet when you consider the relativity of the experiences for both boys and girls, the negative consequences are comparable.