Preliminary Coding Work on my Study Says...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 11:41 am

That I really need more participants to be able to say more things. I'm going to risk saying too much here and tell you guys some of what I'm looking for.

I'm wondering if women are less likely than men to say that they have special abilities.

And if people who were diagnosed earlier are less likely to be in positions of power or authority than people with late diagnoses. (I will be continuing to study autistic people in positions of power for my next project)

Are European aspies treated better by their employers than Americans?

Do people of color have an entirely different experience as autistic workers? If you are a person of color, please consider participating! I really want to hear from you!

At the moment I have about 35 participants. I would like to get up to 50, if at all possible. It's hard to get to a big number with a graduate study like mine, but 50 gives me a better number to publish with. Because then if I have something like 30% of the participants showing a trend of some sort, that's 15 people. Substantial enough to argue that the trend could be replicated with larger numbers.

The descriptive answers that people have been so generous with providing are already useful, even if I don't get even one more participant. I can send something out to publish just with the narratives, which have been fantastic. There are stories here about powerful aspies, heartfelt aspies, aspies painted into corners- things you wouldn't expect to hear, that I guess can come out when people can speak freely in confidence.

This is I guess my last plea, in the General forum instead of just the work one. Any kind of work experience counts. I'm counting volunteers, online workers, doctors, business owners, cash laborers. Anything, as long as you're 18 or older. I take self diagnosis and formal diagnosis. Sorry, but there's no compensation for participating. I'm not funded.

The link is in my signature link, with lots of information before committing yourself to anything. There are also anonymous instructions for people who would like more privacy. Thank you for reading!

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 12:06 pm

Interesting questions! I was a child prodigy musician, valedictorian of my high school class, Ivy League grad - but learned early on that telling people these things is a sure-fire way to get them to hate you. So I generally don't.

I'm starting to realize that my autistic social blunders probably contributed to my 'social persona' of being goofy, and just laughing at myself, because I'm constantly screwing up in ways that NTs find amusing. Humor is a defense mechanism, and while I was shy and sensitive as a child, I eventually learned to just be the class clown, and laugh at my struggles.

Good luck with your research - I took the survey you posted a while back... Glad someone is interested in studying these issues! :)

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 12:22 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Interesting questions! I was a child prodigy musician, valedictorian of my high school class, Ivy League grad - but learned early on that telling people these things is a sure-fire way to get them to hate you. So I generally don't.

I'm starting to realize that my autistic social blunders probably contributed to my 'social persona' of being goofy, and just laughing at myself, because I'm constantly screwing up in ways that NTs find amusing. Humor is a defense mechanism, and while I was shy and sensitive as a child, I eventually learned to just be the class clown, and laugh at my struggles.

Good luck with your research - I took the survey you posted a while back... Glad someone is interested in studying these issues! :)

Thank you for taking it! I'm truly ITCHING to talk about what I've found so far, but I can't! The more people who participate, the more things I'll be able to say in the end.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Oct 2015, 3:05 pm

Oh man, what a test. That thread title had me clicking to read post-haste.... and then... :shrug:
Patience is a virtue, I suppose.

SocOfAutism wrote:
That I really need more participants to be able to say more things. I'm going to risk saying too much here and tell you guys some of what I'm looking for.

My myopic gut reaction would be that they are, simply because it seems like Americans are way behind in ASD knowledge and acceptance. Hoping you find an answer soon.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 3:09 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing the end.

I hope my input was useful.

Good luck getting the numbers up!

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 3:12 pm

ASPickle wrote:
Oh man, what a test. That thread title had me clicking to read post-haste.... and then... :shrug:
Patience is a virtue, I suppose.

SocOfAutism wrote:

My myopic gut reaction would be that they are, simply because it seems like Americans are way behind in ASD knowledge and acceptance. Hoping you find an answer soon.

I would think that too, plus it seems like European labor environments are kinder (in general, not everywhere) than in America. But I don't know yet. I can't count what I have because that's too broad a question.

Some of you will be getting emails from me in the next month asking additional questions. What I'm doing as I'm coding is chunking the data into general categories and then into finer ones. I might realize that I don't know which category to put your response in, so I'll need to ask for clarification.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 3:13 pm

Adamantium wrote:
I am really looking forward to seeing the end.

I hope my input was useful.

Good luck getting the numbers up!

Your input is ALWAYS useful!