Aren't We Forgetting What it Really Means to be Autistic?

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 5:05 am

I have to say after reading that last post.

My diagnosis probably saved my life.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 6:19 am

But I thought now they don't have Asperger's as a diagnosis label, any more, it's all just Autism. So if the Nazis decided to throw Autistics in a concentration camp, I will be thrown in one as well.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 7:58 am

Quote:
Aren't We Forgetting What It Really Means To Be Autistic?

For me it means that I have had to find a way for me to be comfortable in what has seemed a strange land.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 9:02 am

I never felt trapped and I have always been sociable. I would get frustrated when I would be rejected and have a hard time with other kids and when kids wouldn't want to play with me or when I would be banned from peoples homes. Some autistic children do want friends so they might try and reach out for them but they don't know how to do it so people assume they want no friends and assume they just prefer to be alone. I know one man with autism and he is always talking to people and very sociable. I find that hard to believe he would be trapped, same as other members in my autism group. I have been described as being in my own world and I have been told I forget about everything around me because I get so into my computer or game. But even people with ADHD tune everything out and so does my husband when he is focusing and when he has to read.

I think the term autism has changed a lot over the last twenty years or so. We had the term Asperger's in the 1980's but it was widely unknown. It wouldn't even be in the encyclopedia. Also it used to not be on the autistic spectrum until the 1990s according to Temple Grandin in her The Autistic Brain book. But then it was decided it was shortly after the DSM IV release so by the time I was diagnosed, it already was on it so I was given as having an autism spectrum disorder when before no one would say I had autism despite the characteristics.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

FogOfLife
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2015, 10:15 am

I believe that Autism is a detonator word. It has no meaning until we internalize it. And then, it detonates something different for each one. For some its an asset, for others it's a disadvantage, for others its a disorder.
It is a fuzzy word.
In me, it detonated my internal introspection. It gave me plausible explanations for my weirdness, and a kind of peace and acceptance that I hadn't experienced before.
Not all my weird things fit into the Autism box. My neuro-configuration also includes DTD which in short is a absent internal GPS. I have also gained insight how it has had an impact on my behavior, and how it strongly interacts with the Autism box.
With all the shortcomings, the word Autism has had a positive effect on my life. And a sense of calm joy when I find that I can begin to explain myself to myself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 9:20 pm

I don't remember ever feeling trapped due to being autistic. There were times that I felt trapped when my mum was trying to dictate that I was going to live for today, in the present. To fake being something that I'm not would feel like a trap to me. I also don't want to fake anything for the satisfaction of anyone who wants me to come acrossed as NT.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:02 am

I do feel trapped, and my diagnostic report really picks up on this. Notes a lot of problems with articulation. Unlike a lot of people with Asperger's I'm not great verbally.