Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 5:09 pm

I hate it!
one that sticks in my mind was when got the courage to ask my sons instructor a question about a note that was on the wall, she stood sort of beside me and leaned her face so close to mine and stared at my eyes, I wanted to run and hide and I did not know how to respond, when she walked away she made a comment 'I have to stop flirting with girls'. I did not get that message at all.

I detest it when they feel the need to touch you...it stays with you such long after.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 5:38 pm

Justeve wrote:

I detest it when they feel the need to touch you...it stays with you such long after.

That happened to me once. It was absolutely insulting.

In general, when someone's in my space or making me uncomfortable, I find myself unconsciously backing up or backing away from them.

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 5:46 pm

Also if someone gets to close to me while in conversation I can't always hear what they say as my mind is to busy with how comfortable I am.

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

03 Nov 2015, 7:31 pm

For some, I think it's power plays. Some are just oblivious.

Reminds me of this episode:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 8:04 pm

It happened to me at work this last weekend.......

One of my patients suddenly developed a lethal arrhythmia for a short period of time - a rhythm that we don't encounter very much. I saw the monitor tech come over and stand behind me and all of a sudden he put his hands on my shoulders and started to rub up and down my arms. 8O I was like, wth? What's he trying to do - feel me up?! He was doing that to point out that he had some very important information (the lethal rhythm) that he needed to tell me and I guess getting in my space was going to help him deliver this message to me? Maybe if he was telling me by telepathy. :roll: I hate people in my space.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 8:14 pm

nurseangela wrote:
It happened to me at work this last weekend.......

One of my patients suddenly developed a lethal arrhythmia for a short period of time - a rhythm that we don't encounter very much. I saw the monitor tech come over and stand behind me and all of a sudden he put his hands on my shoulders and started to rub up and down my arms. 8O I was like, wth? What's he trying to do - feel me up?! He was doing that to point out that he had some very important information (the lethal rhythm) that he needed to tell me and I guess getting in my space was going to help him deliver this message to me? Maybe if he was telling me by telepathy. :roll: I hate people in my space.

I hope you turned around and gave him the exact same look as your avatar has. :lol:

Malus_Domestica
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2015, 4:07 am

Haha, the stories you tell ... is this an American thing, the whole touching and standing too close? I live in Norway and personal space is generally well respected here, thank god. My biggest problem with other people in my space is if I can smell their breath. Doesn't even have to be a bad breath, I just don't want to breathe in what they breathe out! Someone mentioned teachers standing over you ... and BOY, they had coffee breath. Every single one of them. Ewww. Now that I'm grown up and drink coffee myself, I'm very conscious about my coffee breath when talking to my kids. I don't want to breathe on them because I'm sure my breath is horrible, haha.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 4:11 am

i am very selective with surprise cuddles.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

IDoH
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2015, 8:49 pm

I don't have this problem too much, but I do know I am more comfortable alone, in my apartment, than I am out in public. It's like, even sharing space with someone can wear me out.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 2:34 am

Malus_Domestica wrote:
Haha, the stories you tell ... is this an American thing, the whole touching and standing too close? I live in Norway and personal space is generally well respected here, thank god.

i drove past a bus stop today where everyone was standing at least two or three metres away from each other and i was instantly reminded of:

so it's not just you scandinavians!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Malus_Domestica
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2015, 3:45 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Malus_Domestica wrote:
Haha, the stories you tell ... is this an American thing, the whole touching and standing too close? I live in Norway and personal space is generally well respected here, thank god.

i drove past a bus stop today where everyone was standing at least two or three metres away from each other and i was instantly reminded of:

so it's not just you scandinavians!

:D fantastic!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 3:47 pm

could have gotten a picture now that i think about it...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2015, 4:10 pm

I'm also one who doesn't like when people get in my personal space, and I've even cut off all contact with one who was especially bad at invading personal space.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm

I'm the same way. The only exception is my girlfriend who I love being around.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2015, 11:06 am

When I was in college, I got extremely anxious if more than one or two people (besides my roommate) were hanging out in our room. If too many people tried to crowd the space, I'd throw them all out.

My roommate and the other guys thought it was funny, and I think sometimes they would do it deliberately just to get a rise out of me. I still have limited tolerance for being in crowds, although I probably wouldn't be as quick to freak now out as I did back then.