Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:01 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i would like to know how my parents chose the old windows 98/ME PC games that collect dust inside cabinets now dominated by dug supplies.

just chose what was cheap?

Probably. There used to be a lot of great bargain bins back in the day...I remember they used to have Gold Box EA games for $2 each, we snagged a ton of them.

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2015, 11:40 am

My mom has only ever enjoyed gaming on mobile devices for some reason. I tried to get her into consoles. No interest.

She has only ever put more than 10 hours into 3 games over the past 32 years. Tetris (gameboy), Words with friends (ios) and candy crush (ios). I think she must have about 3500-4000 hours in Candy Crush. She plays several hours every day and has been playing since it released.

She is very interested in airplanes. Tried to get her into FSX. Nope. Interested in driving. Tried to get her into Gran Turismo. Nope. Interested in RPGs, tried to get her into Zelda, nope. However, Ocarina of Time was the only game she ever watched me play and enjoyed from that standpoint.

She briefly tried to get into the original Super Mario on NES back in the 80s but kept dying at the first gumba and gave it up.

I'd like to get her into more games. I got her into the Sims for awhile but she got bored after about 10 hours and never touched it again.

Immersive games with depth are no fun to her. She likes shallow, repetetive, easy to pick up, lame-o games.

She is the definition of an uber casual gamer.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 1:02 pm

My dad is one of those "I'm too cool for this" guys, until his friend (who will play anything his kids play) talks him into playing something. It took a bit of prodding, but eventually we got him play Halo and he loved that. Then we went through a Rock Band phase. Now, it's any new edition of Call of Duty.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 1:39 pm

My folks are in their 80's. Computers terrify them, as do phones not physically plugged into a wall jack. Basically anything that is not accessed via actual physical controls is too confounding.

If my daughter was posting here, she'd say one parent plays LOTRO heavily & the SIMS occasionally (until it crashes one too many times) and the other parent hasn't found a game that she can really get into.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2015, 7:28 pm

My parents don't play video-games but they did play Super Mario alittle when they bought me a Super Nintendo for Christmas. When they were younger my mom played pinball & I think my dad played some arcade games.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2015, 8:19 pm

My dad and I actually play a lot of the same games, mostly ones that fall into the RPG, adventure, platforming, and puzzle genres. We also have some hack-and-slash games and real-time strategy games. My mom generally likes puzzle games and Halo.

My dad also likes Command&Conquer, which I was never interested in, and DOOM. My old man's basically the reason I'm into video games, tbh.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 11:05 pm

None. They consider video games an abject vice.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 11:13 pm

My mother is a Candy Crush Saga fangirl.

I know. That is very sad.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:12 am

mistersprinkles wrote:
I think she must have about 3500-4000 hours in Candy Crush. She plays several hours every day and has been playing since it released.

that is one hardcore casual.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 6:38 am

My parents don't play games, nor grandparents, siblings seem to be the same, maybe thats my mistake in life, investing too much time in playing and not enough in working, even though I don't have a job

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 11:53 pm

I wish my mom would get a 3DS and play Animal Crossing New leaf so I can actually visit another village and she could visit mine, but I don't think that will ever happen. Whenever I've described my Animal Crossing games to her she thinks they are very complicated, and I can't see her spending her free time trying to catch virtual fish or build a virtual house.

Plus we'd only get to connect and play when I come visit her on holidays.

TheExodus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2016, 7:03 pm

My mum used to play D&D with my dad. Er, she doesn't really play any games right now, but she likes Half Life and Dead Space.

Zaye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2016, 2:04 pm

My dad played through all of Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube with me. We did it all together split-screen.

If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve. - Lao Tzu

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 10:03 am

TheExodus wrote:
My mum used to play D&D with my dad. Er, she doesn't really play any games right now, but she likes Half Life and Dead Space.

The only shooter I ever saw my mom play, aside from the Ratchet and Clank series, was probably Halo 3, which she bought primarily just so she could hang out with one of her online friends. I ended up playing it more than her. :P

TheExodus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
TheExodus wrote:

The only shooter I ever saw my mom play, aside from the Ratchet and Clank series, was probably Halo 3, which she bought primarily just so she could hang out with one of her online friends. I ended up playing it more than her. :P

:lol:

I love Ratchet and Clank, not a huge fan of Halo though.